SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I did this ignition fix about a year ago and it is still working great. I just tried to do it again on a different saw and the spark is inconsistent. Sometimes it has spark, sometimes it doesn't. It will sometimes start and sometimes it will just pop but not start. I removed all the wires and rewired it with different wire and a different switch and different condenser and it is the same. Anyone have any ideas to why this won't work right?

I got the 056 running a little today. It seemed like it was going to run okay but shortly after I started into a cut it ran pretty crappy at full throttle and would backfire. The spark seems to be random. I tried moving the ignition to different positions but it behaves the same way. Sometimes it starts right up and runs and sometimes it has no spark at all. Could this be a grounding issue?

Today I replaced the ignition and did the fix with another ignition from a parts saw. It started cold with one pull. I tuned the carburetor a little and it seems to run flawlessly. It appears as though the last ignition had a different problem other than the condenser. Unless I messed something up and didn't notice. So far I am 2 for 3 with the ignition fix. I have one more 056 I want to build and one more Bosch ignition to try. Hopefully it will work again.

Hello, I did this ignition fix about a year ago and it is still working great. I just tried to do it again on a different saw and the spark is inconsistent. Sometimes it has spark, sometimes it doesn't. It will sometimes start and sometimes it will just pop but not start. I removed all the wires and rewired it with different wire and a different switch and different condenser and it is the same. Anyone have any ideas to why this won't work right?

....Do you have a points ignition system? You keep mentioning condenser.......Do you mean "Capacitor"?

....Do you have a points ignition system? You keep mentioning condenser.......Do you mean "Capacitor"?
I guess I mean capacitor, I do believe they used to be called condensers or referred to as the same thing... I just Googled it. All three of my attempts were on the Bosch electronic ignition identical to the fix by "foggysail". I have two successes and one failure so far. I have one more I'll be attempting soon.

I guess I mean capacitor, I do believe they used to be called condensers or referred to as the same thing... I just Googled it. All three of my attempts were on the Bosch electronic ignition identical to the fix by "foggysail". I have two successes and one failure so far. I have one more I'll be attempting soon.
....Mine has the same issue you were having...My spark is randow or some other issue, cuz I cant get it to fire no matter what I do

...From what I can find out, the guy said it just stopped running about 8 yrs ago. I put new ring in it
....Mine has the same issue you were having...My spark is randow or some other issue, cuz I cant get it to fire no matter what I do
I was just reading past messages. The video you showed had pretty good spark, actually excellent spark. Mine would have no spark most of the time but then have some spark sometimes. Are you familiar with the 056 carburetors? One thing that I discovered about the carburetor is that the metering lever gets bent, probably due to being hooked on the diaphragm. I have also got a metering lever for the Walbro carb for the 056 magnum in a rebuild kit. Instead of the forked piece being straight it has a step in it. You can check that you have the right metering lever, Tillotson is the straight one, Walbro is the stepped, and make sure it is not bent too high. When mine was bent I had to tune the L needle to 5/8 - 3/4 from stop. It would not even start or fire at one turn out but 3/4 turn it would start and run great. When I was running my Tillotson carb with the wrong lever it just didn't seem to run right. After I discovered it was the wrong lever I put the old one in and bent it to where it should be and it runs great now.

There is another fix for these ignitions that I just found on another forum that I'll try with the ignition that I couldn't fix. You take a Nova II ignition module and connect the coil input wire to the positive on the Nova II module then ground the negative from the Nova II. Also, remove the "trigger" as he called it. It's the part opposite the coil. I think I'll try locating the Nova II module in the carburetor/air filter area. I'll let you know how it goes when I do it. The Nova II is around $15 on EBay or Amazon.

tntatro....surely keep us posted......As for mine, I cant even get mine to fire off of a prime!! I am going crazy trying to get to the bottom of it! At this point I would still have to say that I have some sort of igntion issue....Maybe its not firing under compression? I have tried different plugs and my compression is 150lbs

tntatro....surely keep us posted......As for mine, I cant even get mine to fire off of a prime!! I am going crazy trying to get to the bottom of it! At this point I would still have to say that I have some sort of igntion issue....Maybe its not firing under compression? I have tried different plugs and my compression is 150lbs
I'll let you know how it goes, it may be a week or so before I do it.

I just completed the fix using the Nova II module. At first it had good spark but would not start even with a prime. Then I loosened the screws for the coil mount and turned it counter clockwise as far as it would go, still nothing, then I turned it clockwise as far as it would go and it starts and runs good but it is a little hard to start. I have to lock the throttle to start it or pull really fast and also, it won't idle well under 2,500 rpm. I don't think there is any carburetor issues because I tried three different carbs and tuned them every which way. I may turn the coil mount counterclockwise a hair but I almost think it needs to go clockwise more. Not sure because I don't know much about timing a chainsaw. The coil mount is already as far clockwise as it will go. It does run good though. I used the ignition that I could not fix using Foggysails method. I imagine that you already tried turning the coil mount in both directions. If you have tried everything then I think this fix is worth a try. It seems to have worked so far but I still have to put the saw to work. I'll keep updated.

How do you install the Nova II module?

There are a couple threads about it, but I'm still putting money on something weird happening with your flywheel..., especially since you mentioned having to repair one of the poles a few pages ago. I'd try another flywheel before going the Nova route myself.

The thread is on the Smokstak forum under the title "Sachs Dolmar ignition woes". It is really easy. You completely remove the piece opposite the coil and use only the coil in the fix. Solder the wire coming from the coil to a lead going to the positive terminal of the Nova module and also to a wire going to your switch. Then ground the negative wire from the Nova Module. I haven't been able to further test the ignition because I found that the reason it wouldn't start easily was because I damaged the motor from lean running. My own stupid error involving an aftermarket fuel filter and plugged screen in the carburetor. I'm building an 045 super as soon as I get the case gasket and I'll put the ignition on it. I have a ton of milling to do so I'll be able to test it then. I also agree that you may want to try another flywheel. Even if you get it going, the fix you made could eventually fail from all the vibration.

There is a NOS Bosch flywheel on ebay for $20 from "customchainsawparts". That is a decent price especially for a new one. Here is the link. Flywheel

I just tried the Nova II fix on my 045 super. I was going to put the ignition from my 056 magnum that I fried but I found another cylinder on ebay, just waiting for it. For the 045 I used the first ignition that I fixed using foggysails method, then fried when I had it on my 056 magnum. I am now having the same problem you are. Excellent spark but will not start. Tried all different ignition positions, two different carburetors, and two different flywheels. I'll let you know if I get this one figured out.

Has anybody tried the "FIX"?

Currently waiting for the capacitor in the mail, a great man on this forum offered to send me one since I couldn't find the right one on ebay!

Until it shows up, this is my progress.

The green is #12 XHHW stranded. Scraps from work. The blue is #12 THHN stranded, with that extra clear jacket that southwire puts on the super slick. The brown in the crimp lug is #18 with a non labeled rubber insulation from a computer power supply. I tried to used the same #12 THHN but it couldn't make the bend under the coil. how has your insulation held up so far? I'm worried about it lasting with the heat.

Btw, thank you sooooo much for taking the time to put up all this info. You saved me hundreds of dollars (if I did it right) and really saved this saw. I've got a half dozen valuable logs waiting for me to mill and I can't wait for weeks to get this unit running. Very much appreciated!!
20160614_155001.jpg

...SO i hang my head low still.........I grabbed another Bosch Flywheel off ebay and it came today....I was all excited to put it on and try it out.......no such luck......still will not fire.......I actually got one pop out of it, but quickly got tired after many attempts...At this point I think it may make its way up onto Ebay...

Latest posts

Back