SUCKBACK? New saws sold in other countries not having a spark arrestor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbr929rr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I would like to leave out the spark arrestor screen on my 7900 muffler mod for better flow and I am worried about the mythical suckback of foreign objects getting digested by cylinder and piston, but most new saws sold in other countries do not have them installed. I know you need them in the USA on public land but I cut on private land. I would think with the saw running there is little chance of material entering the cylinder most of the time. I would suspect you may have more of a chance of foreign material entering the muffler driving with the saw in the back of a pickup truck with wind and such and not having the motor running? Am I being to worried about the mystical suckback threads I have read. I think saw trolls saws do not have them from the factory as in many other countries and they are OK.:chainsawguy:

No worries the 7900 has a special piston design, It only has 1 piston ring and allows enough blowby to never hav neg pressure in the muffler :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hold on just checked the date! Its not the first of April
Suck back is not real, It was a joke from ages ago!
The screen is only there to stop sparks setting alight anything very dry nearby:cheers:

The screen is only there to stop sparks setting alight anything very dry nearby:cheers:
Right on. Just because it's mandatory on public lands it's not automatically unnecessary on private. Is a private forest fire any more desireable than a public one?

I see you are in Rhode Island, most states in the east do not require screen's because fire danger from a spark is allmost 0 in our woods. The west coast with their dry pine forest and brush is apparently more likely to start a fire from a chainsaw spark. As many here have said suck back does not exist. I have screens in my big saws just incase somthing from my truck bed blows in the hole however I have never had that happen either and most of my saws do not have screens. In fact for years saws did not have screens and their were not many problems. If you plan on rolling your saw down a gravel driveway put a screen in the muffler. Other than that you are fine.

Latest posts

Back