suggested woodstoves ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mt.stalker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
HI, looking to upgrade my woodstove. I need to heat 2800 sq ft. Woodstove in basement. Basement is 1400 sq ft , Main living area is 1400 sq ft. heat goes
up basement stairwell, 4 cold air return vents in floors. Presently, will not maintain 70 deg. if temps are below 35-40f . I prefer a stove without a blower, (power outages). Looking to NOT spend a fortune, Any suggestions are greatly appreciated . Thanks,

John

I have a Vermont Castings Defiant in my basement and my first floor stays around 70 all winter and I have no cold air returns in the floor yet.

Get yourself an old pre-80’s Vermont Castings Defiant. They turn up on ebay all the time.

I’ve got a early VT Vigilant in my basement and it heats the whole house fine. Basement, 1st floor and second floor are all basically 750sqft for a total of 2250sqft. I’ve got two radial fans pulling cold air from the first floor to the basement, two pushing warm air from the top of the basement stairs into the top floor and I leave the basement door into the 1st floor open. 85 in the basement, 75 on the 1st floor and 65-70 on the top floor. Keeps things that way on all but the very coldest days. We burn 6-7 cord a year.

Jim

I would recommend a Pacific Energy wood stove, model Summit. This puppy heats up to 3,000 square feet and weights over 450 lbs. They are not cheap. However, you get what you pay for. Do you want to risk burning down your house and your family's lives to save a little money?

Jotul 600 took the place of our King wood and coal stove. Jotul is cast iron and nice looking, smaller fire box. King sheet metal cover, half cast and sheet metal with fire brick, nice big fire box. We are happy with the Jotul! Our log house is 42 by 28 and the stove is in the basement. We leave the basement door open and the heat does the rest!:cheers:

Hello,
You said that you preferred a stove without a blower. Have you ever had a stove with a blower? You get SO much more heat from your stove with a blower installed....and quicker distribution of the heat. Your power is on more than it goes out, so even if it does go out for a while, you're just back to a stove without a blower. I've been burning a wood stove since 1981 and I wouldn't go without a fan blower. As far as brands go, I've owned (2) Regency and (1) Sierra stove.
Both brand stoves have worked great ! Just thought that I would add my opinion!

I have a stove w/blower now and it sucks when the blower is not running.
I'm leaning towards Vermont Castings, or Jotul, or maybe a thermocontrol
w/waterjacket inside to heat my baseboard/domestic . They are made in
nearby Cobleskill , NY. I just have to cough up $2000.

What are you talking about Mr. Stanton , Burning down the house ?
Do you think I'm some idiot with a barrel stove in the cellar ? NOT !!!
I've been cutting/burning wood since the 70's .

Hello. I have burned a LOT of wood, used to live in the Mtns of Western NC in the woods. I bought a Woodstock Soapstone Stove. It was $2500 about 10 yrs ago, I dont know what they go for now. It truly was the best $2500 I ever spent. They look good, and work great. Burn dry wood, split small, and you can make a cord of wood last a LONG time. I sure miss that thing.

Latest posts

Back