Suggestions 4X4 to Pull 4000Lb Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggested a 550 not as the best choice for pulling a stump grinder but as a multiuse vehicle. Quite often you purchase a new vehicle to fit a specific use. If it can fulfill many roles it serves a more useful life. A V6 toyota pickup can haul around a stump grinder but it won't do much else. If you spend a little more you can have a vehicle that can haul your grinder and your bobcat, and loads of chips and your chipper......

My $.02

Yeah...you're going off the deep end. I've pulled/backed a stumper with our 201" wheelbase F-550 and found it was less than enjoyable. Give me a short truck with a pick-up bed anytime.

Go with a 3/4 ton - Chevy or GMC. Cuz I'm disgruntled with the rest!

Originally posted by Pacific
The F-Superduty trucks do have one drawback is they are 2wd but if your careful you don't get stuck too often.
If you say so...  I was quite sure I'd seen 4WD super-duty trucks (F450/550) on the lot, but I could be wrong.

Glen

The F-Superduty is the first version of the F-450 it runs 16" 10 bolt wheels they have a monobeam front axle like a big truck. You see lots of tow trucks that are F-Superduty because they are a tough 15,000lb gvw truck.

The F-550 4x4s are good but the Dana 60 is a tad lightduty for the 17,000lb-19,000lb gvw Ford should have designed a heavier axle. I have talked to a few people that say the F-550s usually sink before the 4wheeldrive helps you get back out. One Forestry contractor I know they have a 03 F-550 4x4 welding truck I don't think they have needed the 4wheeldrive yet because the truck is heavy it goes anywhere reasonable in 2wd.

Back to the subject you should go with a 1 ton with srw so you can get the "heavier gvw" even thou a 3/4 ton and 1 ton with single wheels are almost the same.

As for a brand the forestry contractors of choice in this area is Ford second is Chev. The problem with Chev is the rotten IFS they also build the trucks so d*mn low to the ground you got no clearance.

If I was going to buy a P/U it would be a 8' box a short box is pretty much useless for trying to carry anything. If you put a tool box and a slip tank into the P/U box you want some room to carry other stuff too.

But you're trying to back a stumper into a tight spot. Unless you have a portable.....

8' isn't a particularly long box....

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
xander,
He has a 650, 750 and a 350 with 14' dump bed. He already has a chip truck, a bucket truck and a dump truck. He needs a stump grinder truck.

Plus 2 other Full Size Pickups Which I'm going to sell when i Find a Stump Truck.
If Fuel Prices keep going up Besides the Stump Grinder truck im going to add a Friggin Estimate truck to the list as well Like a Ranger 4Cyl...............:rolleyes:

No kidding. Diesel is up to $2.139 here with prices expected to rise all week. Unleaded is in the low $2 range.

thats still cheap nick,diesel is now $1.15 pr litre do the math,problem is you have had fuel so cheap for so long,what other country has vehicles with big engines as a common item?i understand if you dont

I understand.... Your oil prices are not just a function of distribution, a lot of other industrial nations use fuel taxes to pay for a lot of things we go without or pay for in other ways.

Can't argue that. So, basically, um, stump grinders use fuel and so do the trucks that pull them. And it's less expensive in the US, but it's getting more expensive. Therefore, this was all relevant discussion, given the thread subject.

And I should insert a pitch here for the hybrid pickup. This truck runs on electricity OR conventional fuel. I see a lot of the electric side of this beast as useful in moving the truck short distances, like we often do once on the jobsite; backing equipment up, and on and on.

I think these are 3/4 ton trucks, but I'm not really a truck guy, so I'm not sure, but they're an amped -up version of the F-250, the dodge ram 2500 and can't remember the Chevy hybrid pickup.

What they all have is fully-adjustable , independent-wheel air adjustment dealies that eliminate the need for springs. It's like a smallerized version of the air suspension they use on semi rigs. In other words, you can adjust your suspension with increased weight with the touch of a finger.

I think this truck would allow many to stay with the smaller, more economical, more fuel-friendly truck if it has the capabilities to step up and take the load, and pull the weight. I think its the ult.
16492.jpg

Originally posted by Nickrosis
If it's not a Jeep, it doesn't belong off-road.

LMFAO... I'll remember that every time I go off road in my F350 or my Ram 2500HD to pull out a friends' Jeep.

Originally posted by Nickrosis
Can't argue that. So, basically, um, stump grinders use fuel and so do the trucks that pull them. And it's less expensive in the US, but it's getting more expensive. Therefore, this was all relevant discussion, given the thread subject. [/QUOT

if i had my choice everything would be v8,this rig tows good,import f150 fromUS friend put a new (i think its 6.5) chev v8 turbo,i guess theres not many fords in US running chevs,he actually pulls my stumper with it as well sometimes.pretty economical as well.chev motor was way cheaper

Latest posts

Back