suggestions about TIP in this pre topped cottonwood (removal)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
cottonwood.jpg I'll be removing this previously topped cottonwood soon. I'm doing the job for a buddy, with the understanding that If I don't feel good and confident about getting at all the branches, then I can back out no problem.

I've never climbed a cottonwood before, and this one seems a bit tricky because of the house/fences below, and the fact that it was previously topped, so there is no big central stem to set up an anchor up high. Instead there are a few sprouts up high (that need to be pieced and lowered down), which are pretty big, but they do elbow out of the trunk in proximity of the decaying older top cut.

My plan was to evaluate the extent of the decay around the old top cut, then try to set my anchor on the red circle in the picture, ideally the blue circle would be better because it is higher, more easily allowing me to get out to the ends of the bigger lower branches. There is also a third leader/sprout (green circle) that I would likely back up the primary #2 anchor with. I'd also put a safety line to the big trunk. But I will be well above that when I take out the tops.

I've heard cottonwood is strong from some people, others say it is weak wood. This tree stands alone, so It has been exposed to varied winds. I'm wondering if the blue circle (trunk diameter probably 5") would make a solid TIP anchor for piecing down the tops. I should be able to get a good feel for it when I go up, but it doesn't hurt to ask the experienced on here. I will be tying everything off and lowering it down ( it would be any easy removal if there weren't any house or fences below. I would of course pull test it first. I recently had an idea to brace the sprouts to each other or the solid fatwood with some 2x4...

Thanks for any insight,

Thanks TC262, I will run that by him. I bet those suckers would hold if I braced em with a coupla 45 degree 2x4s, but taking into mind your words of wisdom, I wouldn't bet my life.

BC WetCoast, yeah I think they might be a wee bit tall to butt hitch and rig down, but thanks for that thought, I will take another look with that in consideration. Also, of importance if I were to go that route is the thick old lower limbs growing over the roof, and over the fences, sure would be difficult to get out near their ends to piece em down without a high tip.

Thanks TC262, I will run that by him. I bet those suckers would hold if I braced em with a coupla 45 degree 2x4s, but taking into mind your words of wisdom, I wouldn't bet my life.
I personally don't have any experience tying into cottonwood sprouts but I would bet that anyone who does is no longer with us to share their experience.

Put your primary TIP at your X point, then redirect upwards to multiple secondary growth points tied together to gain the optimum height. Kinda like cabling three heads together to form an upward redirected TIP.

Works for me. However your experience with this technique may vary.

That's a disclaimer see? Some guys need buckets, some guys don't!

jomoco

I don't see any harm in at least checking out your primary tip... If it's five inches, more than likely you'll be fine, but of course nothing is certain when climbing or rigging on any tree. I rig cottonwoods like that at least once a week, topped or not and almost always with decay. Do your best to load test from the ground. Good luck

Latest posts

Back