Suggestions on bar and where to purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dealer for OEM bar.

Local shops, big box stores, on line retailers for Oregon replacement bars (less expensive than OEM; a couple of options).

On line for higher end (Tsumura, Sugihara, etc.).

Philbert

Good point @Timber MacFallen (even if unintended). This is a good time to think about any changes to the pitch or gauge of the chain you run.

E.g. If 0.058 gauge, do you want to switch to the more common 0.050?

Philbert
Agree!!
Far easier to run 0.050 on everything - husky, stihl ...
And this would be a good time to make the switch.

Bar on the saw is .050 now and I have chains for it. Are the Oregon bars better than the factory Husqvarna bars?

The laminated bars (around $30?) are similar. Better bars have a replaceable sprocket nose (‘RSN’), or tip. Usually better quality. Usually more $. $45 -$60?

But theres are sometimes ‘deals’, especially, if a bar comes with a chain.

Philbert

Bar on the saw is .050 now and I have chains for it. Are the Oregon bars better than the factory Husqvarna bars?
The one I recommended is better. The Powercut has a replaceable tip and is a step above a standard bar.

However, I assumed you had a .058 bar as that was a popular factory fit on that model. If you have .050 chains and want to stay with an 18" bar go with this Oregon model 180RNDD009: https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/powercut™-guide-bar,-18"/p/180rndd009

If you don't mind upgrading to a 20" (and I would recommend that on this saw) then you'd want to use the Oregon Powercut model 200RNDD009: https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/powercut™-guide-bar,-20"/p/200rndd009

I'd add that regardless of the bar brand you choose- you typically will only see replaceable tips on the nicer bars.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I tried my local dealer, they didn't have anything in stock, he did have Husqvarna and Oregon but not what I needed. I'll shop online and see what I find.

Just to follow up I ordered the Oregon 18" bar from Power Equipment Direct. I'm sure it will do what I need, I cut for myself not commercially and I've owned this saw since new.

The difference lies in the depth gauges. The LPX is supposed to be a little more safety oriented and smoother because it has offset depth gauges. However, most people just use the traditional full fat EXL chain which is traditional in design and would be my choice.

Oregon, Husqvarna and Stihl make the best chains in my experience. I have used all three. If the Husqvarna X-Cut C83 is available locally in your size I'd go for it over the Powercut as I think it holds an edge a touch longer. https://www.husqvarna.com/us/chains...ut-c83-3-8-pitch-050-gauge/?article=585550068

Most Stihl chains in stock at local shops are unlikely to fit your required gauge of .050 as most of their offerings are usually .063. Besides, they're not superior to the Husky chain.

Local dealer is a Stihl dealer that used to be a Husqvarna dealer and they do stock the chain for my saw in .050.
I saw the Husqvarna C83 chain but wasn't sure about it. Good deals on Amazon on the Oregon chain and Walmart.com even had a good price on the EXL.

Local dealer is a Stihl dealer that used to be a Husqvarna dealer and they do stock the chain for my saw in .050.
I saw the Husqvarna C83 chain but wasn't sure about it. Good deals on Amazon on the Oregon chain and Walmart.com even had a good price on the EXL.
Yeah, there's sales on both the Husky and Oregon chains frequently. Doesn't really happen with Stihl chains since they tightly regulate pricing.

The Husky will go for $24-26 on various places online and the Oregon $22-24. Of course, if you can get either for under $30 at the local shop you can start building a relationship there.

Relationship at local shop is solid already, I have a house account there have had it for decades. I buy a lot there beyond small engine stuff. Like the bar I usually give them the first shot on what I'm looking for. They only carry Stihl chain just wondering what else is out there that's as good or better.

Relationship at local shop is solid already, I have a house account there have had it for decades. I buy a lot there beyond small engine stuff. Like the bar I usually give them the first shot on what I'm looking for. They only carry Stihl chain just wondering what else is out there that's as good or better.
Stihl Rapid Super (full chisel, square top chain) or Stihl Rapid Micro which is a semi-chisel chain have always been my go to chains. Both are pro non-safety chains. I find Stihl chains to be a bit harder metal than Oregon, and seem to hold their edge a little better.

Latest posts

Back