suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trimmmed said:
Since you are going into the firewood biz, I would advise to get a new saw instead of used. I'd also get at least a 70cc saw. Put an 18" bar on and have fun.

Then maybe fix up the homelite for a spare ;)
After thinking about it some, this is probably wise to do, since parts are readily available for new saws of current production, and they're generally not as expensive as trying to find a piston or bearings for an older 266.

yes I was thinking about new for the reason of warrenty but the money situation right now is bad so I will be trying to get the 372

Saskman said:

most saw's come stock with a 7 tooth sprocket for the chain. you can go to an 8 tooth sprocket to get a faster chain speed but you need to run a short bar or cut soft wood.

as far as muffler mod........on most saws if you open the muffler up you can find free horse power. and then there are those of us that send their saw's to strange people in lands far far a way and let them modify our saws to run like screaming demon's.

a muffler mod, means cutting a small hole in the muffler to let the engine breathe better, which on most modern saws, is a must do, plus richening the carb to allow the saw to run right. I mod just about every muffler on every saw I get, unless it was built in the 80s. those generally dont need to be modified.

the 8 t rim is a larger sprocket, which gives a 14% faster speed on the sawchain, which on short bars, like a 18" or less, will give good speed in almost all wood. sorry I forgot to explain this before. hope it makes sense now.

no comments on the 272? come on guys did I make a good choice yes I know stihl is better BUT you gotta take what you can and here is Saskatchewan a 12 inch saw is the norm

no "hands on" experience with one, but I know there's a couple in the neighborhood that have cut a LOT of wood. I'd bet you'll be happy if it has been looked after.

Butch(OH) said:
Why waste space? Lets take the bar where it ends up anyway when this subject comes up. An 880 or 3120 is about right for most firewood cutting, sometimes in real light duty work or extreemly soft wood a person can make due with 660 or 395." A 361 would would nice to have in the truck to blow off any remaining leaves before you start to cut. :p LOL Seriously for what most around here cut for firewood a 60CC saw works well for people who take one saw to the woods. This would be your 361 or whatever Huskies XP saw is in that range. I find saws in this range to be easy on my back for limbing and powerfull enough for the felling and heavy bucking of fire wood size trees.

Good post :laugh: :laugh:
I think the same that the saws recommended for askers here are somewhat overdimensioned.
In this winter among other felling and sawing works I felled and cutted two days, in the forest, ca 30m3 frozen birch mainly 15-20" diameter to the 40cm stubs with MS270. Cuts birch like a cheese ;)

Latest posts

Back