Sugihara husky small mount problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingDavey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just realized today as I was putting my 20" bar on my 2260 that the oil slot on the saw is open to the side cover. The slots on the bar for the adjuster stud are machined too far out from the center. Oil would just flow right past and out of the bar nut retainers. Any ideas to solve this? The oregon bar doesn't have this problem. I would use tape or fill it with epoxy, but I don't want anything to come loose and ruin the tip. Maybe I never noticed it with my Dolmar because it didn't have retained nuts? :msp_sad:

oregon bar
attachment.php

sugihara bar
attachment.php

I've got a 16" Sugi bar that I put on a 550XP and the oiler hole was above the saws oiler slot. It wouldn't oil at all, I'd had the bar for awhile but never used it before. I put a Windsor bar on the saw and problem solved. I'm having the Sugi oil hole slot down to meet the saws oil supply.

I've got a 16" Sugi bar that I put on a 550XP and the oiler hole was above the saws oiler slot. It wouldn't oil at all, I'd had the bar for awhile but never used it before. I put a Windsor bar on the saw and problem solved. I'm having the Sugi oil hole slot down to meet the saws oil supply.

I was afraid I'd have to get a new bar...

I don't see a problem. I have two Sugi and one Oregon that the oil Chanel meets the adjuster stud holes. They oil just fine.

Last edited:
I tried to put a Sugi on a 545 and had the same problem. Just dumps the oil out through the captive bar nut holes. Only way I could see it working is with an outside bar plate that covered the adjuster holes. I just threw on a different bar.

I don't see a problem. I have two Sugi and one Oregon that the oil Chanel meets the adjuster stud holes. They oil just fine.

Maybe another picture will help?

attachment.php

I think the oil will go through the open adjuster slot in the bar and straight through the nut retainer clip hole. You can see my white sock through the opening. Wouldn't that lost oil cause problems at my bar and chain?
I guess I'm looking for an easy fix. I love this bar, it is absolutely beautiful on this saw.

Have you ran the saw with this bar in a few cuts. If the chain slings oil there is no problem. JMO. Good luck.

Only spun it up over cardboard to see it oil, and it did, although very little. I also don't want oil dribbling all down the saw and onto my boots n pants.

are you saying the adjuster slots are cut into the chain groove? if yes then the oil will definately leak. also i would say that would be a factory flaw.

are you saying the adjuster slots are cut into the chain groove? if yes then the oil will definately leak. also i would say that would be a factory flaw.

It is cut into the chain groove, but before the oil hole on the bar, so that's not why it leaks. The adjuster slots are cut too far from center, leaving an opening for the oil to go through the bar, then through the clutch cover. I'm just gonna have to get a different bar. Maybe sell this one.

It's hard for me to see exactly what is going on. Could you make thin side plates with holes for the mounting studs and oil channel, that would cover up the undesirable parts of the holes when the bar is mounted? Kind of a sandwich type thing?

Philbert

It is cut into the chain groove, but before the oil hole on the bar, so that's not why it leaks. The adjuster slots are cut too far from center, leaving an opening for the oil to go through the bar, then through the clutch cover. I'm just gonna have to get a different bar. Maybe sell this one.

Dibs

It's hard for me to see exactly what is going on. Could you make thin side plates with holes for the mounting studs and oil channel, that would cover up the undesirable parts of the holes when the bar is mounted? Kind of a sandwich type thing?

Philbert

I'm gonna see if my 350 outside bar plate will work. I was just thinking this as well. Thanks!!

If you fab up an outside bar plate, I'm pretty sure you will be good to go. It is only a problem because of these new fangled clutch covers with captive nuts.

I repaired a saw for a guy a while back that had a piece of soft wood driven into the top adjuster hole & cut off flush with the bar sides, when I asked about it he said it leaked bar oil, & that his mod as he called it worked fine, & added if I want to invert the bar i just drive it out & drive a new piece in the other hole. Not very engineering savvy but it may work for you as it doe`s for him[ Coat:dizzy:]

Back