Super 2 sprocket change question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
HOW THE HELL do you get this friggin C clip off the crank on the Super 2 saw? I'm trying pretty hard, and I have NO success, it just keeps sliding around the crank, and not coming off.

Try pressing on both ends of the clip with 2 screwdrivers, or a pair of needle nose pliers so that the clip pops off rather than rotating. Just make sure to direct the clip to somewhere that it will stop (ie a rag) rather than bouncing into the corner off a concrete floor and becoming lost.

That WOULD work, EXCEPT FOR ONE THING. the ends are like almost a complete circle, with about enough space for a single small screwdriver, and thats it.

Any chance of holding the end with one screwdriver and getting a pick in under the clip in the groove to pop it out?

tried that, with zero success, now I need a new clip, the old one got cut off, it was either it or me, and I'll be ????ed if I'm gonna let a little piece of metal win a fight.

I removed the engine from the case, and attempted for a good hour to remove the clip with no success, I figure an E clip from something else will be easier if I can find one of the right size for the crankshaft.

Lawn Masters said:
I removed the engine from the case, and attempted for a good hour to remove the clip with no success, I figure an E clip from something else will be easier if I can find one of the right size for the crankshaft.
Well by now you have figurered out the little rascals are not friendly to repairs.You have to field strip them to do about anything. :dizzy:

I kinda knew that before all this. I'm not wildly crazy about that little fact, but at least, its not a million little parts that you have to make a map to remember what goes where.

The clip was not meant to be reused. It was replaced with a HD external snap ring. HOMELITE p/n 93972.
Thanks
Bill Walcott

Thanks BillW, that explains EVERYRYTHING. I still need a clip for the ???? thing, mine got dremelized in the process of removal.

Fish said:
Just put a snapring on it.
XL, XL2, SUPER2 SPROCKET Snap Ring

I too thought a regular snap ring would do but the heavy duty one does not get loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used a snapring before, and it only brought a minor lawsuit!
It only costs $4.99. With $4.00 shipping! I have them in stock, all of the time.
Even on Saturday night, when the rest of the world is having fun!
But of course I could sell my Homelite parts too, but that will cost you!

Back