Super truck build.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late 70's - early 80's GM will fit the bill. If I remember right, a big block is a direct bolt up to the diesel trans.

The other option that appeals to me would be a first generation 90-93 Dodge/Cummins.

I don't know about PTO availability on an auto trans, but it can definitely be done with a granny low 4 speed. If ya go auto, a MileMarker hydraulic winch might be a better option.

Ford did have a "swiss cheese" lightened frame for a few years, had an '80 F250 like that.

On the military trucks, rust should be minimal, but if you're gonna paint it, it's gonna need a TON of prep work. That military paint is thick with one coat, and there may be lots of layers on there. Dodge M880 I think had 360 gas, and the Chev CUCV was a pretty anemic 6.2, but we ran em alongside our M915 semi trucks, and they'd go down the freeway at 70+, just took a long ways to get up to speed.

One other thing to note in the srw vs drw debate is that duallys really suck in mud and deep snow, the space between the wheels fills up and you've got a huge slick back there. I'd go SRW myself if only for that reason. Duallies are highway trucks, period.

all of my trucks are duallys and work fine in snow or mud, just have to have good tires on them, log trucks are duallys and also work fine off road, DUH

all of my trucks are duallys and work fine in snow or mud, just have to have good tires on them, log trucks are duallys and also work fine off road, DUH

We shall agree to disagree then. Same tires on each, I'll take a SRW a bunch of places you'll never get a dually close to, unless it's being towed by something. Been in more muddy cornfields than I can count, and chassis deep in snow enough times to have a pretty good opinion.

BTW, there are very few things I hate more than scraping the mud out from between duals of a grain truck to keep it off the highway.

Kinda have the same idea

I kinda have the same idea on a processing truck. I have a retired fertilizer/sprayer/floater truck minus the bed. The truck is a GMC Topkick with a 3208 Cat and it has the PTO for the trans. and a full time pump mounted to the engine with it's tank and like 10 control valves for the functions on the different sprayer booms etc.
I have watched countless videos of processors and come up with the conclusion that most of them couldn't handle big Oak logs like we have around without extra labor reducing the size to be processed. Not to mention rigging up a cable to each log. So I figure a grapple type loader would be the best option along with just a regular splitter set up and some type of conveyor to pile up the finished material or to load in a truck/trailer.
The big problem is I don't want to sped a fortune building it and get a engineering degree to do it.
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen such a thing or had any ideas along this track.

Yes a Unimog would be awesome, but i've been thinking of a 12V cummins dually with at least an eight foot bed (possible dump). crane/hoist to load up the big logs

Yes a Unimog would be awesome, but i've been thinking of a 12V cummins dually with at least an eight foot bed (possible dump). crane/hoist to load up the big logs
You defineately have to have the loader part. You get a truck with the hydraulics you can be real creative. I wouldn't waste my time on an electric hoist option though. Go with a PTO or a smaller engine hyd. pump set up to save on your truck's engine.

I've been thinking about doing something with this. It already has the locking rear dif. I have a front end for it. All it needs is time and money spent on it.

KM4xNl.jpg

now to the op's question.....
I had a 75 single wheel one ton GMC that could haul all that you could stack in it...with racks to the roofline.
A late 70's to mid 80's Chevy K30 singlewheel with a 454, a late 70's to 85ish Ford F350 single wheel 460, or...if you can find one a mid to late 70's Powerwagon with a 440..... all would be good choices.

After talking to a few people on here and googling specs I'm sold on the mid 80's chevrolet/gmc 1 tons with the sm465, np205 and aam 14 bolt rear. My boss's 99 f350 sd is rugged as all #### but the triton may-pop is a real downside plus they're horrible to work on.

After talking to a few people on here and googling specs I'm sold on the mid 80's chevrolet/gmc 1 tons with the sm465, np205 and aam 14 bolt rear. My boss's 99 f350 sd is rugged as all #### but the triton may-pop is a real downside plus they're horrible to work on.

Dad had a 82 c20 hevy with a 350 and a 4 speed. He put a folding crane and lokers in it and used it to haul drilling rig parts and logs for a buddies bandsaw mill for probbly 20 years. but the chevyitis or rust got em and it just rotted away. we soild the drivetrain and jumked the body the frame was getting bad and was starting to get rotted were the front of the bed and the end of the cab set. but i tell yeah i would take that truck over my F-250 any day of the week.

Dad had a 82 c20 chevy with a 350 and a 4 speed. He put a folding crane and lockers in it and used it to haul drilling rig parts and logs for a buddies bandsaw mill for probbly 20 years. but the chevyitis or rust got em and it just rotted away. we sold the drivetrain and junked the body the frame was getting bad and was starting to get rotted were the front of the bed and the end of the cab set. but i tell yeah i would take that truck over my F-250 any day of the week.

how in the hell did i get a duplicate post?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I love my 79 f250 ranger, 400m with cam intake headers. 4spd with granny first. dana 60 rear 44frnt 8k warn winch on front. I recently added a stake side to the bed Hold full cords no problem. Its for sale by the way.

Now if I was going to build another sweet rig Id start with a duece n a half. You could have a log grapple on it. Most come with pto pumps and winches . Plus full time 6 wheel drive. Not too expensive to buy either less than 10k for a descent one.

attachment.php

Back