super xl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack121

Reaction score
I am new to the site. I have a 1976? Homelite super xl automatic. Love this saw had it since new. Was using it about a month ago and it wouldn't stay running. The fuel line had a crack in it so i put a new line on. Worked fine for a couple times then started doing the same thing. Took out the carb cleaned it, checked the fuel line. It will run fine at all rpms until I start cutting then after about a minute it looses power and shuts off like it's not getting gas. will not stay running until it cools down then does the same thing. any help would be appreciated.

I am new to the site. I have a 1976? Homelite super xl automatic. Love this saw had it since new. Was using it about a month ago and it wouldn't stay running. The fuel line had a crack in it so i put a new line on. Worked fine for a couple times then started doing the same thing. Took out the carb cleaned it, checked the fuel line. It will run fine at all rpms until I start cutting then after about a minute it looses power and shuts off like it's not getting gas. will not stay running until it cools down then does the same thing. any help would be appreciated.

The duckbill check valve in the gas cap is probably melted. They're available from Stens and Oregon dealers. The original Homelite # for that valve is 69451. Look at the cap. One of the 'flats' of the cap will have a small bronze filter. Use a pic through the groove under the filter to pry it out. The remnants of the old duckbill will be in there. Clean ALL the goo out, then put in a new duckbill (seat it all the way in) and press in the filter. You may have to flush the duckbill goo remnants out of that filter before reinstalling it. I just put them on a shop towel and spray 'em down with carb cleaner. Flushes the black stuff out. Dry it thoroughly (carb cleaner will attack the new duckbill) before reinstalling it.

You probably also should rebuild the carburetor and replace the in-tank fuel filter while you're at it. If the carb says "Homelite" or "Walbro" and "SDC" on it, then it's a Walbro SDC and takes a K10-SDC kit. If it has "Tillotson" and an HSxx part number on it, then it's a Tillotson HS, and takes an RK-23HS kit.

Do what Aaron said and buy a new kit. Then clean it again before installing, install, replace the gas filter and do a good tune up. Also check your needle arm in the carb.

Latest posts

Back