Super XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've dug out my old Super XL and am trying to get it going for a loaner.

I'm getting a intermittent spark. When i pull the starter rope it will fire maybe twice. It is a pretty good spark when it does fire though.
I had put a new kit it the carb last fall and didn't get it running so I just quit messing with it, I guess I didn't check the fire. Is it the points ????
How is a safe way to get the flywheel off?
I loosened the nut and tapped on the crankshaft with a brass hammer, but it is on there.
thanks
Dan

I'd recommend using a puller. If you don't have one, you can make one without too much effort. I made a puller from a piece of 1/4" steel. Just need a drill, saw, and some bolts. Two bolts need to screw into the flywheel and a larger third in the middle you can tighten down on the center of the crank to pop it off. If it has points, they may very well need cleaning to fix the intermittent spark you're seeing.
Good luck,
Dan

lesorubcheek said:
If it has points, they may very well need cleaning to fix the intermittent spark you're seeing.
Good luck,
Dan
a pencil eraser does a pretty nice job of cleaning points

I didn't think my brain would be totally gone at 48 years old, but I guess it is.
I have a puller in the shop, like you are talking about, but I was trying to use one with the jaws and they wouldn't fit under the flywheel.

The other puller wasn't laying in front of me so I didn't think about it.
And I guess I will find a pencil eraser.

The best fix would probably be a electronic ignition module but I don't think I want to spend that much on a old saw.

Dan

An aftermarket module (like an Atom) is relatively cheap, and solves the problems associated with points quite nicely.

Dan I've converted alot of SXL's to electronic ignition. I use the little Nova or Atom modules and they work great and they are cheaper than points and condenser. You can be done with everything in about 30 min, easy to hook up. I use a SXL all the time, I converted it about 3 years ago and haven't had any problems since. I've done it for alot of customers and they have all liked them. You can find them online, ebay or I have them in stock. I get $15 + $1 shipping if you want one.

Just happened to think about this thread and wanted to share a success story.

I put p38lightnings module on that saw and I don't remember it ever running this good.

I've been using it a lot lately, I'm building a pole barn and using it to cut telephone poles and other stuff I didn't want to use my Stihls or Husky on.

It's been starting on the 2nd crank everytime and seems to have more power, could just be my imagination though.

Dan

danl said:
Just happened to think about this thread and wanted to share a success story.

I put p38lightnings module on that saw and I don't remember it ever running this good.

I've been using it a lot lately, I'm building a pole barn and using it to cut telephone poles and other stuff I didn't want to use my Stihls or Husky on.

It's been starting on the 2nd crank everytime and seems to have more power, could just be my imagination though.

Dan
I can believe the extra power. My Super XL did the same thing when I put in one of those modules. I think it probably is that the timing is more precise than with points, but that's just speculation on my part. My Super XL still has great spark, but it isn't running. A carb problem, I think.

TJ

Back