Surface roots a lawnmowing problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me neither. on a side note, my g-mother is from lithuania, mom born to a u.s. GI in germany (making her a citizen) and I'm the first one born on u.s. soil in the family.
I do speak a little russian, was going to talk to pinus with some, but without proper encoding, it all looks like Здравствулте! Pinus. Вы говорите русского?

(Change your encoding to cryllic)
-Ralph

wysiwyg said:
This topic has always seemed like a contradiction to me. If a tree's main source of energy is through photosynthesis, in which CO2 is taken in and O2 is given off as waste, why do the roots need O2 for the tree to survive?

[edit] repeating mode so deleted [/edit]

begleytree said:
Me neither. on a side note, my g-mother is from lithuania, mom born to a u.s. GI in germany (making her a citizen) and I'm the first one born on u.s. soil in the family.
I do speak a little russian, was going to talk to pinus with some, but without proper encoding, it all looks like Здравствулте! Pinus. Вы говорите русского?

(Change your encoding to cryllic)
-Ralph

You are making me to believe that yours Avatar is talking someting about you :Eye:
Or it is necessary to use something proper decoding of your post to get them understandable in the right way ;)

no, I figured on everyone elses computer it'd look like oooiooioeeo, like it does if you're not using cryllic encoding. I figured it'd come up right on your computer. I'm using western euro encoding and it looks right. try a dos encoding maybe? After all this technology, it's still easier to fax a letter to russia, than to attempt an email. At least for me.
-Ralph

Ok, I will not try to figure out what you tried to say in the last posts about pinus and others, will ignore them.
Take at least a lesson, that Estonians are talking in estonian, not in russian.
Then you can may be figure out that there are another valid viewpoints to tree care than yours too ;)

pinus said:
Take at least a lesson, that Estonians are talking in estonian, not in russian.
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/en.html

Languages:
Estonian (official) 67.3%, Russian 29.7%, other 2.3%, unknown 0.7% (2000 census)

only 2/3 of the population of estonia actually speak estonian, according to published records, 1/3 speak russian, and some at least speak english.
I didn't mean to offend you. at least up until 1994, russian was the official language of estonia, thusly I assumed you spoke russian.

As far as saying anything bad about you goes, I didn't. And about other peoples opinions, you are making my same point.
-Ralph

Last edited:
OK mabey there is a way to do this properly,this scientist and educator says this..

Tree roots at the surface

Surface roots make it difficult to mow grass. It is tempting to cut these roots off to make mowing easier. A few small roots can be severed on well-established trees. Cutting or damaging roots larger than about one inch diameter could cause harm to the tree. Click here for root pruning guidelines.

The solution that provides for the healthiest trees is to remove turfgrass and apply a thin layer of mulch. Shrubs or ground covers could be planted before mulch is applied. Take great care not to cut many roots when planting under the canopy. Roots greater than half an inch diameter should not be cut when planting under the tree.

Soil can be added to raise the level to just above the top of the roots. The soil added should be of a coarser texture than the existing site soil. This will allow roots to grow because air and water can easily penetrate to the existing soil. When soil of a finer texture is added, water and air penetrate with difficulty and tree health can decline. Operating soil spreading equipment over the roots will compact the soil and can damage roots. Spread soil by hand to eliminate compaction and root damage under the canopy.
New one on me....See I do keep an open mind!

Sheshovel said:
Soil can be added to raise the level to just above the top of the roots. The soil added should be of a coarser texture than the existing site soil. This will allow roots to grow because air and water can easily penetrate to the existing soil. !
There we go; I'm with ya all the way, sister! :heart: What's the source of those sage sentences?

Let me add one more thing...I do not necessarily agree with the methods this DR. from the University of Florida
advises in above post.
Most of our researching scientists,work and teach and do their work at Universities,thats where they publish their findings from,where the research "Lives" so I don't know where you would like me to find research other than our Universities because I know of no scientists that do research out of their homes or offices and out of their own pocket.To get scientific research done,it takes money and to get money you need grants and to get grants you need to be working for a University .

begleytree said:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/en.html

Languages:
Estonian (official) 67.3%, Russian 29.7%, other 2.3%, unknown 0.7% (2000 census)

only 2/3 of the population of estonia actually speak estonian, according to published records, 1/3 speak russian, and some at least speak english.
I didn't mean to offend you. at least up until 1994, russian was the official language of estonia, thusly I assumed you spoke russian.

As far as saying anything bad about you goes, I didn't. And about other peoples opinions, you are making my same point.
-Ralph
I think that the best way to deal with spam is to ignore it :)

Ralph, if Hitler conquered us and we just got free of Germany 10 years ago, I don't think you'd take kindly to the assumption that you sprechen deutsch instead of english. ;) No one expects you to be up on every little country, tho, so don't feel too bad. :angel:

She, if the guy you're quoting is Ed Gilman, I would go with his advice. He's forgotten more about trees than you or I will ever know. He's also got good connections to the field as well as the lab. Re research and U's, I generally agree, grants are hard to get without a U connection. But the field experience we are gaining also has empirical value. That's why I'm here, to learn what others have learned.

OK all you tree huggers, pick on a guy whilst he's working hey.

I printed this out and gave it to the guy's mate across the road (the guy was out).

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/WRG_volcano.html

I picked this one as it had pictures. Is that OK now?

Arborphobic! What is wrong with you dudes. The name of these trees is Spathodia campanulata, they are an imported POS.

Although they have nice flowers they are on the weed list. They sucker up and have seeds that easily germinate ... threatening out own species ... so on the undesirable list.

Here's a dump:- African tulip (Spathodea campanulata) is an ornamental tree, valued for its red tulip-shaped flowers. It is a highly invasive plant, producing huge numbers of wind dispersed seeds which seem to thrive wherever they land. When the unsuspecting landholder tries to cut down an African Tulip it sends up new seedlings along the length of its root system, turning one problem tree into dozens.

So, you guys back it up a bit, I'm doing a bigger favour to all killing them. :)

And the predominant wind is SE and that's straight into my yard, so I hate them even more. But as they are council trees there's jack I can do about it...except letting the guy across the road keep making mulch volcanos :p but that's over now.

Hmmm, where's my cordless drill and that syringe of G360???????? :cool:

ok ekka, getting rid of invasives is one thing, getting rid of litter-makers is another, so you're forgiven--this time! :p

Can't you tell the council you'll help out with a remove-and-replace program? Or find a root sucker down the way and point out its bad habits?

pinus said:
I think that the best way to deal with spam is to ignore it :)

Oh, I see. A dissident :rolleyes:

FYI, someone saying something you don't like is life, spam is something entirely different.
Have a great day :blob2:
-Ralph

treeseer said:
ok ekka, getting rid of invasives is one thing, getting rid of litter-makers is another, so you're forgiven--this time! :p

Can't you tell the council you'll help out with a remove-and-replace program? Or find a root sucker down the way and point out its bad habits?

That fella has lived there like 25 years and he planted them so I dont really want to upset the apple cart.

Well, it's been a few days and the mulch volcanos are still there.

I was pretty lucky that those litter makers were on the weed list, phew.

I'll have to be more careful what I say on here now. Honestly, cutting down stuff around pools is a lot of our business, people get peeved off with leaves in their pools ... and some of the euc leaves that sink to the bottom stain the marble!

Back