Suspension on a log splitter???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50blues

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok here is the what is he thinking question. Would you or have you ever seen suspension on a log splitter??

I am in the process of building a log splitter. 30 inch stroke, 11horse motor, 16gpm pump, log lift, the whole nine yards. I have a set of coil over shocks, they are laying right beside the splitter in progress. That got me started thinking. It would pull much nicer, but would I have problems with it bouncing while splitting?

Any thought or idea's would be appreciated. Even if you think I'm crazy.:dizzy:

Ok here is the what is he thinking question. Would you or have you ever seen suspension on a log splitter??

I am in the process of building a log splitter. 30 inch stroke, 11horse motor, 16gpm pump, log lift, the whole nine yards. I have a set of coil over shocks, they are laying right beside the splitter in progress. That got me started thinking. It would pull much nicer, but would I have problems with it bouncing while splitting?

Any thought or idea's would be appreciated. Even if you think I'm crazy.:dizzy:

If you worry about it bouncing while splitting you could just incorporate some sort of 'lockout' mechanism to the shocks. make sense? I can envision a couple different ways but can't draw here :p

I thought of that, but would it be worth all the work to make it right?

with the amount of work it will entail designing a suspension system for a splitter I can't see it taking much more to throw in a lockout :p
how are you going to do this? axle with leaf springs + shocks? shocks/coils? kinda like a small chipper?

planning on 2 bars around 2 ft long. One on each side of the main beam, going back to the axle. Then mount the coil over shocks on the back side of the axle. Will probably have to run a panhard bar sideways with the axle to keep it all centered.

If you are going to work all in your own woodlot can't see where suspension gets you anything but weight. If you tow frequently seems like a good idea.
We do a lot of 20 to 100 mile round trips to custom split in HO back yards. The splitter (TW-6) is big and heavy with 14 in road tires, slightly under-inflated. It handles fine at 50MPH on the hwy, but I'm always concerned about the shock injury to fittings, carb floats, lamps, axle mounts and bearings.

Latest posts

Back