sweet gum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mo.woodtick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
is it worth a sh*t to burn never burned any and its all over the farm that i am cutting on is the smaller stuff easier to split or does it all suck thanks for any input

It's ok at best for firewood. It splits like a mother. I try to avoid it unless it's small enough in diameter to fit in the OWB

Gum is the devil to split. We used to CS&S a gum tree for shoulder season every year. The limbs seemed to split a little cleaner than rounds from the main stem for some reason. We'd leave the the rounds to set a couple months before splitting. It loses a lot of water weight over time; the cellular structure deteriorates and it splits easier.

Burns up quickly and leaves a lot of ash. Those aspects and comparatively low heat output are why many firewood cutters avoid the stuff.

If you have a lot of it and a good hydro splitter, I don't see why not. Like my old FIL used to say, when it's what you got it's what you burn. :)

Medium firewood, sucks to split, I noodle most of mine. As soon as the piece is small enough to fit in the stove, that's it.

Don't listen to these guys. It's called sweet gum because it's so sweet to process and use as firewood. Easy to split, easy to stack and dry in 6 months. Process all you can. Probably won't even need a splitter. ;)

Latest posts

Back