Swingin round with ropes like monkeys! VS metal and leather!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
; I know all the jazz about safe and harmless tree climbing, but letting all your weight sit on a harness and a rope is just a bit over the top. There is no skill or talent involved with climbing any more. I climb with gaffs and a safty belt. How many folks still climb like that? How many have even done it at all? Ropes have there place but i can testify that gaffs don't cause all the damage they are apparently supposed to. My boss,(a veteran of 40 years) has climbed with gaffs and a safety belt all that time and has never killed a single tree. He has had customers that have used him time and time again. I have seen big pin oaks that he topped and trimmed years ago and they looked beautiful! Any of you guys that climb primarily climb with ropes should get 110 feet in an old poplar with 2 spikes holding you off the ground and a thick belt around your ass holding you against the tree. A bit different than being strapped to a series of ropes! ;)

Thats fine if you want to spend all your time crawling from limb to limb and spike back down that 100 ft poplar.And gaff marks do create avenues for all sorts of critters.What ever works right, just stay out of my trees.

056-I always climb with a belt and spurs. I only use my rope to position myself, or to rappel. When I rappel out of a tree I trust my rope and saddle because I constantly check them. Your tone however, is a little uppity, people here have called me a hack cause I climb with spurs, but if they climb without spurs, good for them. Each to his own, live and let live and all that good stuff.

Search google, a dictionary (online current one with slang), or search here for what a troll is.

056, your trolling, search for DdRT, SRT, and Hack on AS and your question will be answered.

Troll

I guess things have gone weird here.

056 'Kid', are you familiar with the rising occurance of disease epidemics in the last 25 years?

I don't like metrics, but use them in the lab...there is no choice. Also find it difficult to loosen a 14mm alternator bracket mount bolt with a 9/16th's socket, but I don't brag about trying it...mostly 'cause I don't.

I wouldn't expect to get a job in trees if I had to climb with a 1956 David Bradley gear-drive saw, but I did that once long ago and far far away.

I agree there's little use for me to be dressed-out in gay flourescent spandex in order to get my bicycle from here to town when cut-off blue jeans do just fine, but spikes for anything but removals should be regulated by stiff fines or buckshot.

Now back to the end of the 20th century.

oakwilt said:
056 'Kid', are you familiar with the rising occurance of disease epidemics in the last 25 years?

You have to be kidding. I'm not condoning spikes on prunes, but seriously, arborist type pests are not vectors in overwhelming majority of disease transmission. Furthermore if we are going to consider arborist transmission of disease, how about the fact that almost nobody sterilizes the hand and chain saws before cutting into healthy wood in the same tree or before moving on to the next tree.

Fred

056 kid said:
;There is no skill or talent involved with climbing any more. I climb with gaffs and a safty belt. How many folks still climb like that? How many have even done it at all?

You've got a big brass set claiming that climbing without gaffs takes no skill or talent.

You should be feeling like a cow that decided to swim the amazon about now.

fpyontek said:
You have to be kidding. I'm not condoning spikes on prunes, but seriously, arborist type pests are not vectors in overwhelming majority of disease transmission.

Fred

Maybe I've mistaken something. What are "arborist type pests"/?

Pests aren't restricted by definition to insect. Influenza is a "pest". Know what causes lethal yellowing in palm?

Considering "overwhelming majority", on that scale then you know what does?

With this kind of thinking, no wonder die-offs are unparalleled. Jeez.

oakwilt said:
Maybe I've mistaken something. What are "arborist type pests"/?

Pests aren't restricted by definition to insect. Influenza is a "pest". Know what causes lethal yellowing in palm?

Considering "overwhelming majority", on that scale then you know what does?

The arborist type pest I was referring to is someone referred to here as a hack.. uses spikes, etc.

oakwilt said:
I guess things have gone weird here.

Why don't you explain to me the rising occurance of disease epidemics.

oakwilt said:
What kind of thinking are you referring to?
That I question the ignorance of blaming "disease epidemics",your words, on gaffs.
I also wonder about your silence when I question why arborists don't sanitize their saws.

Latest posts

Back