Swisher 26 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking at splitters and see a like new 26 ton Swisher for 900obo on cl. EDIT: Now looking at new units. DHT 27 ton Kohler and Huskee 28 ton Honda are my leading candidates after online research and a day of driving around to look in person. No Swisher dealer around here.

Whadaya think fellas? DHT or Huskee? They look pretty equal in quality. Huskee doesn't have a catcher but does have a Honda and my buddy's a welder. Wish all these companies would put fenders on these things.

Beat the tar outta mine all winter . Ya gotta make a log table for it then its nice . i used 1/4 '' 12x18 on each side to catch stuff mounted with a u shaped pice and just welded it to the beam . I used a 2x4 clamped on top of the beam and clamped the plate to that then welded it solid . Its done 30 cord or so since with one flat tire .

Had my 22 ton for 6 years no problems and my BIL has had a 28 ton for 7 or 8 years no problems.

I wish mine was a 26 or 28 sometimes it stalls in great big knotty blocks and BIL splitter has never stalled in anything, so he says...

The 28 ton unit I have (not a Swisher) kicks down in to low range and motors through gnarly knots in the middle of locust crotches. The beam flexes just a bit and pop...the wedge goes through. Just for fun, I threw wood in all sorts of ways and the wedge pretty well goes through it regardless.

Mention any brands you like here. That wouldn't be DHT you're talking about there would it ttyR2?;):laugh: I've seen your other posts and yes DHT is definitely in the running now. Not considering used because of financing options buying at Menards or TSC. It's really going to depend on whether Menards comes out with another sale in the next month. My TSC is bringing the Honda powered, 28 ton Huskee next week. Wish the Huskee had a cradle and wish they all had fenders. Buddies a welder and I'm going to have him teach me so I can make improvements. They claim the Huskee will be priced at 1299, 300 less than their online price. Keep the opinions coming. Thanks

VENT: I saw a Forest King 22 ton unit with awesome attention to detail. The dual cradle not fancy but well thought out. Nice, heavy metal fenders with metal hoods over the reflectors. Again, very simple but well thought out. This on a budget splitter(Menards I think). WHY THE HELL CAN'T THE OTHERS DO THESE TWO SIMPLE THINGS TO IMPROVE THEIR PRODUCT?

Mention any brands you like here. That wouldn't be DHT you're talking about there would it ttyR2?;):laugh: I've seen your other posts and yes DHT is definitely in the running now. Not considering used because of financing options buying at Menards or TSC. It's really going to depend on whether Menards comes out with another sale in the next month. My TSC is bringing the Honda powered, 28 ton Huskee next week. Wish the Huskee had a cradle and wish they all had fenders. Buddies a welder and I'm going to have him teach me so I can make improvements. They claim the Huskee will be priced at 1299, 300 less than their online price. Keep the opinions coming. Thanks

VENT: I saw a Forest King 22 ton unit with awesome attention to detail. The dual cradle not fancy but well thought out. Nice, heavy metal fenders with metal hoods over the reflectors. Again, very simple but well thought out. This on a budget splitter(Menards I think). WHY THE HELL CAN'T THE OTHERS DO THESE TWO SIMPLE THINGS TO IMPROVE THEIR PRODUCT?

I agree, but when building these things a few bucks here and there add up quick.

Yeah, DHT. But I was commenting more on the capacity of 27~28 ton units than flying a manufacturers flag.

I agree, but when building these things a few bucks here and there add up quick.

I agree John but the unit I saw these two nice features on was a $1000 unit! Now we know that DHT is taken a pro-active stance, listening and replying to us. They've got the cradle, even if only on one side. Let's see some sheet metal fenders. Nothing fancy, just functional. Even a "1/2" of a fender on the motor side would suffice.

Curiously, there are two "ears" on each side of the hydraulic tank/axle with holes in them. I assume those are for fenders. You can see them here:

dht_28_3.JPG

Back