swisher 28 ton with 7 hp.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

028 user

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a new log splitter for 5-10 cords a year. Does the swisher 28 ton with the 7hp briggs enough of horses to do a good job for a homeowner? I also was looking at the Huskee 27 ton 5.5 hp honda. The huskee is 289 dollars more. The swisher is 1129 plus tax . the Huskee is 1400 plus tax. thanks for any and all input. I like the smaller horses for reasons of easier to start. Am I kidding myself going the smaller motor? Should I go with bigger motor?

Splitters

Swisher seems like a good brand. Understand that the Honda on the Huskee is probably a GC, which is a consumer grade engine, probably like the Briggs on the Swisher. Also, if you do some more reading you will see that tonnage ratings are -like wood stove heating ratings - subject to all kinds of play by the manufacturers. Most of the splitters in the range you are looking at are 22-24 ton splitters. This is more than adequate for any homeowner use.

If I were you I'd go with the Swisher and put that savings toward a bigger saw. You do need one, right?!!!!

MarkG

I have the Huskee 27 ton and I love the splitter with one exception the Honda GC motor. I doubt the motor will give me 10 years but you can find Honda GSX (red case) to replace the GC fairly reasonable once the GC goes and then you will have a bullet proof little splitter IMHO.

I just purchased a splitter from TSC. Before purchasing I asked the manager if they ever had a sale on splitters. They told me that corporate sometimes sends out a 10% coupon ($100 max. discount) and that they would give me $100 off any of the three splitters they sale. You may try that angle. Also check on Ebay for a coupon, I saw one go for $4, that's cheap for a $100 discount. FYI, I chose the 22 ton model with the 6.5 briggs, from others reviews it will split almost anything.

aussieblake

I am in the process of buying a new log splitter for 5-10 cords a year. Does the swisher 28 ton with the 7hp briggs enough of horses to do a good job for a homeowner? I also was looking at the Huskee 27 ton 5.5 hp honda. The huskee is 289 dollars more. The swisher is 1129 plus tax . the Huskee is 1400 plus tax. thanks for any and all input. I like the smaller horses for reasons of easier to start. Am I kidding myself going the smaller motor? Should I go with bigger motor?

The size splitter you'll need isn't a matter of how much wood you'll split, but the size of the wood. If you're going to be splitting the typical 12" maybe 16" stuff mostly, that size should be just fine. If you regularly split big stuff, you might want to go bigger.

A smaller motor on the same pump will produce the same splitting power, it will just be slower.

Look at the other components, not just the engine. Also look at how beefy it's built.

Dunno about the Swisher, but I've got the Huskee 35 ton (My small stuff is 20"!) with the Briggs engine. It's a great machine.

Happy splitting! :cheers:

I don't know if you have seen both in person, but I have and there is no comparison in the quality of build between the two. The Huskee is a MUCH better unit. There is a point where you don't need to spend the extra money on a bigger/better unit, but there is also a point at which if you are going to buy a tool you buy it to do a job and you don't want it to let you down. I looked at a 1 year old Swisher a guy had that used it regularly and he had made several modifications, stuff that shouldn't have been necessary. i.e. rebuilt the wedge guides, rewelded the base for more strength, souped up the wedge, reworked the tilt. Seemed like it was cheaply made. I was hesitant because of the Swisher name in the first place and this confirmed my concerns. We then purchased a new Speeco(Huskee) and it is honestly built like a tank compared to the Swisher. Just my opinion, but be forewarned.

Latest posts

Back