synthetic oils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't use any synthetic during warranty. I would stick with the saw branded oil at 32 to 1 for the first couple of tanks, then the recommended mix thereafter.

I would challenge any of these sythetic guy to produce evidence of the reliability of synthetics.

I sold some Granberg synthetic in the early 80s, and it cost me a bunch of grief.

wouldn't use any synthetic during warranty. I would stick with the saw branded oil at 32 to 1 for the first couple of tanks, then the recommended mix thereafter
If you are going to run synthetic use it from the the second tank of fuel on.

I would challenge any of these sythetic guy to produce evidence of the reliability of synthetics.
Synthetics have been heavily used in two cycles sleds and bikes for a very long time. The MFG,s are even starting to sell syn blend oils as straight dino alls can not pass the newest specs for two cycle oils.

Tony, I wouldnt write off synthetics just becaues you got a bad batch years ago. If you caught the clap from a wild women would you go homo? I hope not.
BTW I dont know about granberg(never heard of it), but you cant go wrong with big name label synthetic like Mobil MX2T or Motul 800.

I have had good results with Opti II. I checked the compression on my saw before I started to use it. The compression was 163P.S.I. I then cut 2 grapple piles of wood, approx 16 cords in the heat of the summer. I checked the compression on the saw and it was still 163 P.S.I. no change. I didn't hold back while cuting either, 2 foot cuts at full throttle, 1 cut after the other. I also like that it dosen't smoke and there isn't any deposits in the exhaust port.

What mix did you run the OPTI II ?

Welcome aboard!
Sounds like you been cuttin some wood.

Don

I have never used opti, but based on there website I would rank them right up there with slick 50. Complete and total BS. If I where given some I might put it to good use keeping the dust down on my driveway.

I'd be interested in knowing if you agree, but I just can't understand all the desire to use synthetices. Tha saw branded oil has been working fine.

What is a guy gonna to do just keep trying oils until he finds one that don't work?

tony s

In my younger years, I used Belray & Klotz ( loved the smell of that stuff) syn. oil in my 2 stroke dirt bikes without any problems whatsoever. Just thought I'd inquire about using it in chainsaws. Also, I am currently using synthetic oil in both the snowblower and the lawnmower, no problem with either of the two. ;)

Last edited:
Tree_reaper, Boy I wouldn't have a clue on that one but It seems to me that those machine might have much greater cooling capacity, and less severe application, rpms etc.

There are some synthetic type wienees (experts)on here that are much better qualified to answere.

Like I posted earlier, it seems like some are determined to try different oils till they find one that don't work. I just don't think along the same lines. To each his own.

Last edited:
2 stroke oils

Hi All,
In my quest to find the right oil to use and to answer my question why you cant use outboard motor oil in air cooled stuff,I found this web page.I dont use their oil but this page did answer all of my questions.
By the way,I use Maxima Castor-927 in every land use 2 stroke that I own except for the sled,It gets Maxima Super-M Injection oil.
I use their Marine Pro in the Jet ski and the outboard.
The 927's ratings are way beyond what any of the air cooled engine manufactures recomends as does the rest of there oils.The 927 also smells great!.......Just like being at the Moto-x track on sunday.

Hope the links help out.
Mike.

http://www.goa-northcoastoil.com/tips/2cycleol.html

http://www.maximausa.com/products/2stroke/castor927.asp

Mike, I might use that 927 just for the smell! It seems from all the responses/threads on this subject that there are a lot of good 2 stroke oils on the market. There's an existing thread at this site were someone did heat testing between oils and ratios but they didn't compare syn oils.

Hey My2cents,

I'm glad you came and joined us here it's great to see another guy here from NH,just wanted to say welcome to the Arboristsite :D :D

Later Rob..

BW, Slick 50 is complete and total BS? I think that it has been over hyped but in their defense I have to say that I put it in a couple of trucks in which every mile and every gallon of fuel was logged. The treated engines gained 8% and 9% fuel milage respectively and held that gain for a couple of years.

Back