TACHOMETER... would something like this work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IC..... just hoping to get something that would work for less than most I have seen. WDO

works for me

I have a similar unit from Mac tools and it works great. Only downside is most saws have to have the top cover off to gain sight of the flywheel. I have had awsome results using the reflective tape for trailers and such (DOT reflective tape). I have not had one even come off of the flywheel yet. Can be kind of a pain to hold the tach and rev the saw, do it on a stump, the ground or in a vise.

"Spend the 85 bucks and be done with it..."

Way too much of a tight a$$ to spend $85 on something I'll used a couple of times a year at the most. If I could make a $30 one work with removing the top cover I'd have no problem with that. Heck, I would probably have it off anyway doing some cleaning and maint. WDO

Last edited:
"Spend the 85 bucks and be done with it..."

Way too much of a tight a$$ to spend $85 on something I'll used a couple of times a year at the most. WDO

LOL... Then buy it, and go around taching saws for the neighbors! LOL

"Excuse me, I heard your saw running from a few blocks away... And I have this new tach..." LOL

I got the same tach from ebay. It works ok and does the job, but can be a pain to get it to read. I found it works better when you are shaded from direct sunlight. Like another poster said you have to remove the top cover or spend a lot of time trying to shoot the laser through the slots on the side and hope you hit the reflective tape. After tuning my saws with this tach it was tedious enough to convince me to spend the extra money and purchase the right tool! I usually do this the first time, but I tried to save money and cut corners. "Short cuts lead to long delays!" - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs):angrysoapbox:

I got the same tach from ebay. It works ok and does the job, but can be a pain to get it to read. I found it works better when you are shaded from direct sunlight. Like another poster said you have to remove the top cover or spend a lot of time trying to shoot the laser through the slots on the side and hope you hit the reflective tape. After tuning my saws with this tach it was tedious enough to convince me to spend the extra money and purchase the right tool! I usually do this the first time, but I tried to save money and cut corners. "Short cuts lead to long delays!" - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs):angrysoapbox:

How much for your optical tach and what is the max RPM?

You could try this..

I'm looking for something a little lower cost also.

What about these little guys? Are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TECUMSEH-Small-...38571406QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

I hate to spend $100 on something I'll likely use half a dozen times but $40 is a little easier to swallow.

There is a tach called "vibratach" (no giggles)
It is a very accurate tool.

850rpm to 50k I think.
It does diesels and can read electric motors too.

Not bad for $20-25 bucks.
-br

There is a tach called "vibratach" (no giggles)
It is a very accurate tool.

850rpm to 50k I think.
It does diesels and can read electric motors too.

Not bad for $20-25 bucks.
-br

Thanks.

I saw that one, but I didn't understand how it worked. I ordered one of these ENM tachs. The specs say it runs up to 24K RPM, although the display in the stock photo is showing only up to 9,999. Hopefully that's just the photo and another digit is there or it starts reading out to the nearest 1RPM when beyond 10K. I'll find out, the price was right..

If it works good it might be a fun permanent fixture...also tracks hours of use.
93c3_1.JPG

If it works good it might be a fun permanent fixture...also tracks hours of use.
93c3_1.JPG

These types of tachos have been tried by the scooter community for a number of years as a permanent fixture and they find the tachos only run for about 3 months. OTOH a forum member had one on a ride-on 4 stroke mower that has run for ~2 years. No one is really sure why they stop working on scooters but it could be the 2 stroke vibes or road bounce that kills them. I wouldn't be using them on a saw on a continual basis.

Latest posts

Back