tachometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i was wondering does anyone tune their own saws with a tach. i just bought a digital tach and i was wondering how am i going to get an honest reading. where should i poing the laser. and if anyone knows the spec for a 026, a ms 270 and a 660.

Not sure what you mean by "point the laser" What do you have? Most small engine tachs either couple wirelessly (just hold close) to the ignition or you clip a wire onto the INSULATED ignition lead.

026 - 14,000
270 - 13,500
660 - 13,500

All with correctly tensioned chain.

this unit that i bought comes with reflective tape and as the tape passes the laser it measures the RPM

Yeah, I'm not sure how you'd do that on a saw. Where were you planning on putting the reflective tape?

But to answer your original question, I use a tach to check my work. I'll tune a saw by ear and in the wood, and then follow up with a tach to make sure my ear isn't too far off and I'm not screaming along at 15,000 rpm, and that I'm for sure in a safe operating range. So I guess I don't rely on mine, but I do like being able to know what my saw is turning.

Jeff

Last edited:
I use a digital tach which I point towards the spark plug. It is obvious when a saw is too lean or too rich if you use one often. Another way is too look at the port on your muffler. If it is white, it is probably too lean or on the border if it is a crustly yellowish color it is just right and if it there is no color it is more than likey too rich.

Sounds as though your using a tacho suited for model aircraft engines it senses the pulses of the prop, myself i have 3 different types 1 stobetype like yours, 2. a clip to the H/T lead and read, 3. a vibrameter. But do you think they all indicate the same well no often their readings are completly different.

Mc Bob.

May be such tacho can be used if to mount bar and chain without side cover for which replacement you should do a something small steel plate with proper thicness and two holes for the bar collars. Then you can put the reflective tape on the cluch drum. Anyway, you should be a very carefull without side cover! Better is to get proper tachometer ;)

pinus said:
May be such tacho can be used if to mount bar and chain without side cover for which replacement you should do a something small steel plate with proper thicness and two holes for the bar collars. Then you can put the reflective tape on the cluch drum. Anyway, you should be a very carefull without side cover! Better is to get proper tachometer ;)

I was thinking the same thing, but decided to not mention it, as I agree, it's best to just get the right tach for the job.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back