Talk me out of a 441/440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheese

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New guy here. I have read about the Prince, I am mostly sold. I have also read about everyone here having an opinion and being reasonably tolerant in revoicing it, so bear with me.

Buying a Stihl saw with part of the tax return. Stihl is the easiest to deal with locally, I like the dealer and will not buy anything but, so we can avoid the sidetrack.

I am looking for a saw to cut pine/cottonwood 3-4 weekends a month usually trees between 12-36" a mixture of firewood and chopping wood for the timbersports team.

I have access to a 260 with an 18" bar for limbing and a 650 with a 32" bar for really big stuff. This means the saw I purchase will be for felling and bucking trees not immediately covered by those two.

So I want a 441 with a 25" bar, I am partly sold on the bling, partly sold on the size. The 361 running a 22" bar balances right in my hands and feels like the saw I "ought" to own. Problem is I have run other people's 361's, 650/660's and even an 880, just never the 440 class saw.

So, talk me out of the 441. Thanks.

why?

You have your mind and heart already made up. Myself I would rather own the 7900, but you only want a stihl. So there is nothing left to discuss,Is there?:newbie:

Even with the other saws I have, I want one too.

Can't talk you outta that one!! :hmm3grin2orange:

I was hoping to provoke some insight between the 361 and 441, but they are not really in the same boat.

A 25" bar on the 361 is working it pretty good, while the 441 can pull it easily.

No reason to jump up to the 460 and no real reason to run the 440.

I guess jumping on the so far, so good 441 bandwagon just makes good sense.

Two loops of RS and a loop of skip?

Dad has a 044 & I have a 460 mag. Never ran a 441 though. Anyhow, If I'm doing the buying I'd buy the 460, its a pound heavier than the 440 but the same weight as the 441 and a 1/2 horse stronger. for me its about weight and balance, I just like the way that the 460 w/ the 24" is. That and it really is a gutsy saw. Up here in Northern Pa I believe that they are the #1 saw for production cutters.

Last edited:
Dad has a 044 & I have a 460 mag. Never ran a 441 though. Anyhow, If I'm doing the buying I'd buy the 460, its a pound heavier than the 440 but the same weight as the 441 and a 1/2 horse stronger. for me its about weight and balance, I just like the way that the 460 w/ the 24" is. That and it really is a gutsy saw. Up here in Northern Pa I believe that they are the #1 saw for production cutters.

...I believe you are on the right track - if not a 460, take a 7900 or 372, depending on your power needs...

...or wait for the 461.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I was hoping to provoke some insight between the 361 and 441, but they are not really in the same boat.

A 25" bar on the 361 is working it pretty good, while the 441 can pull it easily.

No reason to jump up to the 460 and no real reason to run the 440.

I guess jumping on the so far, so good 441 bandwagon just makes good sense.

Two loops of RS and a loop of skip?

I think the key statement was in your initial post:

Cheese said:
"...So I want a 441 with a 25" bar..."

backed up by this:

Cheese said:
"...Stihl is the easiest to deal with locally, I like the dealer and will not buy anything but..."

and "...I have access to a 260 with an 18" bar for limbing and a 650 with a 32" bar for really big stuff..."

Which means that I can't help you, other than to suggest waiting for a 461. But waiting usually sucks!

Get the Saw. Make Noise, Throw Chips & Have Fun. Report back. :D

As already stated, "460!!!"

More power, same weight! Although, I have not run the 441 either.

If you don't like the 460 give me a call :cheers:

For those of us that have ACTUAL trigger time on the aforementioned saws.............( I didn't lose ya there 'troll with that fancy wordin' ) I would suggest that you go by what dealer gives you the best service!!!

The 7900 is a bad saw.............but then so is the 441..............run 'em if you can..................choose..................be happy!!!

For those of us that have ACTUAL trigger time on the aforementioned saws.............( I didn't lose ya there 'troll with that fancy wordin' ) I would suggest that you go by what dealer gives you the best service!!!

The 7900 is a bad saw.............but then so is the 441..............run 'em if you can..................choose..................be happy!!!

Of those saws, I only have actual trigger time on the 372 (and of course the 361), but I am able to read what others say........:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

I drive a Toyota truck for reliability.

I buy tires from Discount because the local dealer is the easiest to work with.

I buy my Wescos from the guy in town.

I may not always have the best, but if anything at all happens, it gets handled.

I could do a better job asking this in the form of a question, but I am not sure I have seen all the info on the 440/460/441 difference.

For those who run the 460 all day, is it worth it?
For the $125 extra dollars, am I getting that much more saw in the 441 compared to the 361?

Those with the 441 seem to say the vibe savings off set the weight gain.

I ran the 044 before I bought the 460 and It was worth it to me. Where it really shows its strength is in 20" plus stuff. I have let several 044 owners run my 460 and they all what one of their own now. You need to get some trigger time on them man. Everything is hearsay untill you run them for yourself. See if your dealer will let you run one sometime. Try to get some good size pieces though cause in small stuff you will not see the difference as well.

Of all the saws I own,I use my 440 more than any other.I have owned several 046/460's,and for the difference in price and weight I prefer the 440.I currently have seven 440's,three are in use,the other four I am keeping as replacements for when those wear out.I also have three more on order from my dealer.I have eight 044's and two 440's that are worn out,and I'm using them as "parts" saws.The 044/440 has been such a good saw for us I couldn't not reccomend one to anyone.I haven't run a 441 yet,but I guess that is what I will go to when I can no longer buy new 440's

Of those saws, I only have actual trigger time on the 372 (and of course the 361), but I am able to read what others say........:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

WOW,
happy that I found this site, how could a chain saw usin', beer drinkin', truck/equipment mechanic, ex motor head/racer, farmer, old guy, have so much fun on a Fri. night? just sitting at the computer - it's here reading post like these..keep it up
Don

Latest posts

Back