Talk me out of a 441/440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy the 441, I did and love it! I traded in a perfect 044 for it, I don't know if the 441 has that much more power but the superior anti-vibe coupled with the smoothness of the engine made all the difference. I am sure the 460 is great but I would run one against the 441 to compare the anti-vibe. Either one would be great.

I drive a Toyota truck for reliability.

I buy tires from Discount because the local dealer is the easiest to work with.

I buy my Wescos from the guy in town.

I may not always have the best, but if anything at all happens, it gets handled.

I could do a better job asking this in the form of a question, but I am not sure I have seen all the info on the 440/460/441 difference.

For those who run the 460 all day, is it worth it?
For the $125 extra dollars, am I getting that much more saw in the 441 compared to the 361?

Those with the 441 seem to say the vibe savings off set the weight gain.

If you need the larger saw go with the 460.
If not, you would really enjoy the smoothness of the 441 and you do not notice the weight. Really is an awesome saw.

Since YOU asked!

OK, I'll try to talk you out of a 441. :laugh:

The Dolmar 7900 is one pound lighter, almost a full horse more powerful, and costs less to boot.

Thats all I got.
Someone else will respond with a relevant post regarding parts and dealer network. ;)

I was hoping to provoke some insight between the 361 and 441, but they are not really in the same boat.

A 25" bar on the 361 is working it pretty good, while the 441 can pull it easily.

No reason to jump up to the 460 and no real reason to run the 440.

I guess jumping on the so far, so good 441 bandwagon just makes good sense.

Two loops of RS and a loop of skip?

That's sound logic man. Though, a 361 will pull a 24" through the pine you mention, going "one saw up" is never a bad idea. Especially when you're in the larger wood you speak of.

Buy the best saw you and afford, and never look back.

Just do it and get it over with.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

I have 440 & 460

I know nothing about the 441.
The 440 has been (still is?) Stihl's most popular saw for years.
There has to be a reason for that. It balances nicely. There is sufficient power to do some serious cutting. etc.

The reason that I pickup a 440 is that I wanted to see the diff between it and the 460 (which I like a bunch). The 460 can actually run short of power up here, but it takes the entire bar buried in green pine to do it.

They say great things about a 361, I have never run one.

I would say that a 440 would be the perfect middle saw after you mentioned the other saws available! Go for it! :rock:

-pat

Can't talk you out of it.

It's hard to say what you should do. I definately know that it's tought to decide between saws.

I can tell you what i did. I was undeecided between the 440 and 460, I knew for sure that I wanted one of them, though.
What ended up making the decision for me was the fact that I ended up going with a 660 also. Considering that I had a 660, the the 440 seemed the better choice as opposed to the 460.
Admittedly, I'd still like to get a 460 one day.....It's hard to justify since the 660 is parked next to the 440. Anyway.......
If I were not going to get a saw as big as a 660, then I'd probably choose the 460 instead of the 440.
If I thought I'd be getting a bigger saw someday, then I'd get a 440. That would be the main decision maker between the two.
As for the 441, that's really muddies the waters a bit. In my instance, I didn't give it too much consideration at the time. It was too new, and I wanted the older, proven design. If I were buying now, I'd have to really look into it. Since it's very popular here, and held in high regard.
Have fun shopping...if your still confused, just buy the saws that Fishhuntcutwood has. Or many others for that matter.
I'd wager that you end up with the 460. Hey that'd be interesting, start a pool on what saws people end up getting.:biggrinbounce2:
Take care,
Mitch

I have access to a 650, which is not that impressive to me.

I am going to run a 044 with a 25" bar this weekend to get a little flavor. Still no local 441's have stepped up.

Despite not having trigger time with the 440/460 saws, it seems like the 361 is a little short and the 660 is a little much. The 460 sounds like almost a 660 while the 440 seems like enough more than the 361.

Thanks gents.

Latest posts

Back