Talk me out of an Echo CS620P.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you look at the IPL's for 590's, 600's and 620's the 620 uses many different parts not just the carburetor. Piston, cylinder, muffler, coil, carb, etc are not the same. Early 600P's also use different P/C's in them and a different coil than the 590's.

Even with that said I have all three and it perfect tune with a sharp chain on them you are hard pressed to tell much difference in them in the field. I've done some cutting/timed testing between them and no matter which one you are using in smaller material it's pretty much a "wash". Out past 18" or so the 620PW starts to show it's slight boost in power finishing a few seconds quicker for three cuts........Cliff

I have not been disappointed in any of my Echo equipment. The oldest piece I have was bought in 2006, a GT-230 curve shaft weed eater, that runs good to this day. It's also my only oddball in that it's gray where all of my other Echo's are orange. Over the years my "fleet" has grown to include a leaf blower, hedge trimmer, chain saw, and power pruner.

My first saw was the CS-400, and it did good in stock form. A muffler mod and a retune after pulling the limiters off and this saw really performs now. Whenever I step up to a bigger saw, I plan on buying the 620 PW.

Really hard to beat the quality you get for the price.

The only downsize I found on the 620 is it’s size and weight, a 70cc saw is around the same.

@Red97 is the man for these. He taught me that the 620 is actually cheaper if you are looking to upgrade performance one day. The 620 has the larger carb and unlimited coil that the 590 does not. Purchasing those upgrades will amount to substantially more cost than just going 620 in the first place. Joe builds some monster hybrids on the chassis.

They run quite well, I must say. Oil well also. Not in love with the air filtration, but you can’t have it all.

The only downsize I found on the 620 is it’s size and weight, a 70cc saw is around the same.

@Red97 is the man for these. He taught me that the 620 is actually cheaper if you are looking to upgrade performance one day. The 620 has the larger carb and unlimited coil that the 590 does not. Purchasing those upgrades will amount to substantially more cost than just going 620 in the first place. Joe builds some monster hybrids on the chassis.

They run quite well, I must say. Oil well also. Not in love with the air filtration, but you can’t have it all.
@Red97 builds crazy strong saws in that platform, no else has ever done before. Thats his backyard, i think they came up with solution for that air filtration issue. I'd highly recommend a modded 620 if you're into echo's

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk

The limited coil on the CS-590 does not need replaced. The cut-in point is set well above the RPM's one would ever see in use unlike a few other models that they sell.
I've put about a zillion hours on my CS-590 at this point, on purpose to see if there are any weak links anyplace. The only thing I've replaced so far is a bar and chains. It comes with a cheaper laminated bar that doesn't last very long. Remarkably the sprocket is still fine as you have to change the whole clutch cover (another less expensive feature) instead of just the sprocket. I use mine a lot for "noodling" as they will cut for days and not even think about plugging up. Here's another big job that needed the sections cut several times to make them manageable. I did most of it with my CS-590........

Maple1.JPG

Go to the Auto Parts store and buy a short piece of 3/8" steel fuel/brake line. Cut two small pieces from it the width of the bar to slip over the bar studs and you can run your large mount Husqvarna bars. Check oil hole alignment but it should be fine, if not "message" the opening just a tad for good oil flow to the bar/chain. I've been running Husky bars on mine for many years now w/o issues......

Go to the Auto Parts store and buy a short piece of 3/8" steel fuel/brake line. Cut two small pieces from it the width of the bar to slip over the bar studs and you can run your large mount Husqvarna bars. Check oil hole alignment but it should be fine, if not "message" the opening just a tad for good oil flow to the bar/chain. I've been running Husky bars on mine for many years now w/o issues......

Well ****.... That's all it takes?!? :oops:

Friend of mine looking hard at a 362. The price difference on the Echo is fairly significant, but he's not super bright. He tried my 460 Rancher and got all freaked out about the outboard clutch and locked the saw up once with a thrown chain and a second time by pulling the clutch cover partially off and tripping the brake. Thinking an 590 or a 620 would be a good saw for him, but because he does firewood and tree service work as about 1/2 his living, I am trying to convince him he needs a bit bigger saw to offset the 026. He's currently liking my MS290 with a Farmertec big bore and a port job, but I don't know how long that will last and its HARD on fuel. Also I don't feel like the oil pump can safely oil anything bigger than a 20". He needs that 24-25" bar.

I was gonna get the 620pw or the 562xp. HL supply had the one day husky sale last spring so I got the 562xp. No regrets. It was the size and bulk that really made me get the 562, especially since it's my in the tree saw. I ran a 620pw a few weeks back at a big triple pin oak removal. The echo impressed me, if it wasn't for my filing the echo may have beat my 562 buckin/noodling big rounds. The echo is more forgiving when leaned on, the 562 limbs better and cuts faster when rpm's are kept high. All in all the 620p is a winner in my book, I'll stick w/ the 562 tho.

I've put enough time on this series of saws to know they are excellent. The only problem I've had was just last Sunday when my CS-600P stopped abruptly after making a cut. I was certain it was ignition related. Turns out it was just the NGK spark plug.

Now Echo needs to replace the CS-670 and CS-800 with larger versions of the CS-620.....IMHO....

Did the same thing on my 620pw… I run the 28” echo bar made for the cs7310 which has 9mm studs like the large mount husky’s. Works great!

The limited coil on the CS-590 does not need replaced. The cut-in point is set well above the RPM's one would ever see in use unlike a few other models that they sell.
You've missed the point. The guys were talking about needing or wanting the unlimited coil when building them, not a stock or muffler modded saw :).

Back