talk to me about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
Reaction score
Climbing lines.

I learned and climbed on 1/2" 3 strand for years, well, almost 20 of them ago. I was finally given a new line a few years ago called arborplex (yup, its been a while). I climbed on that for a few years and bought some true blue. decided that TB was really arborplex, just dyed blue for all intents and purposes. I've been climbing on arbormaster blue streak for a while now. like the 16 strand, the knot holding, and the spliceability of it as well.
I'm out of blue streak now, and it's time to change (or maybe not).
anyone recommend something similar to bluestreak?
Tell me why what you use is better to/for you. I was interested in the poison ivy, but after playing with some smaller dia rope, I'm not so sure I like it. Of course I'm running a split tail, using the knut with 3/8 sta-set.
What is better, or what should I look at?
-Ralph

Ralph, I started out on Arborplex also. Been using Safety Blue since. I am moving over to Blaze. The weight savings is great. It takes a little getting used to the slightly smaller diameter. The Blaze holds up well also. Might I suggest just buying a hank of something in the 11MM new ropes. This may be the only way to really tell!

If you are deadset on staying with 1/2" try a hank of NE ropes Safety Blue High Vee. Great rope very similiar to Bluestreak.

Goldstreak?

Sorry couldn't resist. I just ordered some BRW today. Have been climbing on a arborplex with no complaints but wanted something I could feel more secure on and decided the BRW was it for me. I personally like a heavier feel rope.

Well if you want a rope as good as the bluestreak then the best choice would be......
Goldstreak or the red/white/black, arbormaster is my favorite rope. #8100 is the only way to go.

gumneck said:
Goldstreak?

Sorry couldn't resist. I just ordered some BRW today. Have been climbing on a arborplex with no complaints but wanted something I could feel more secure on and decided the BRW was it for me. I personally like a heavier feel rope.

I never knew what they meant by staying round until I ran the bluestreak down a spar on a fig 8. then do it on a-plex. totally different rope! you will like!

thanks to all so far. I am looking at each suggestion!
-Ralph

I was talking to some of my competition today. Their climber saw me rappell down from a tree SRT and he couldn't figure out how i came down on just one rope. This CRAZY SOB climbs on CLOTHESLINE!!!! No BS! They were talking about him using a garden hose for a lanyard!!! WTF are some people thinking??!! I'm gonna go get a new rope and give him my old climbing line so he doesn't get killed.
BE SAFE

woodchux said:
I was talking to some of my competition today. Their climber saw me rappell down from a tree SRT and he couldn't figure out how i came down on just one rope. This CRAZY SOB climbs on CLOTHESLINE!!!! No BS! They were talking about him using a garden hose for a lanyard!!! WTF are some people thinking??!! I'm gonna go get a new rope and give him my old climbing line so he doesn't get killed.
BE SAFE

Thats very disturbing.

Good on you for giving him a good line to climb with.

A garden hose for a lanyard? Your not much better that looks like shoelace in your avatar for your lanyard. :D

I have used a piece of arborplex as a flipline/lanyard and ran it thru a garden hose. It was effective to keep the rope stiff and kept it from so much abrasion. When I got a wire core I initially put a piece of hose on it but soon realized didn't need it no more.

I started on arborplex, always found it a bit waxy at first and after using it for a while it would get plasticky.

I used bluestreak for years, still have a few, definately an awesome line

Now that I'm getting into SRT and using more mechanical devices I recently got firefly (the yellow/green version of the fly) Stuff feels good, I've been experimenting with different split tails, because it seems to wear the tenex eye-n-eye faster than the bluestreak did.

I learned on 1/2", been climbing on it for years. Always preferred Safety Blue to Arbor Plex, 16 strand was way more comfortable in the hand than 12 strand and binds a lot less. To try something different, I picked up some XTC 2 weeks ago and have been climbing on it since then. The jury is still out. XTC feels really waxy and tight but I'm guessing once it's broken in a bit more, it will be fine.

Cheers...

Climbing rock I always used 11mm dynamic (kernmantle) rope so arborist ropes were new to me. After trying Blue Streak I was still struggling with the idea of braided rope so I bought 150' of Poison Ivy kernmantle and i like it. It's light and slippery on the tree but holds friction knots and mechanicals like a champ. The sheath abraids more than braided rope but not in a way that compromises the strength or handling.

Keep in mind that I'm new to tree climbing and DRT though. I never hesitated to rap on a single 11mm with a figure 8, but let me tell you, even a slow decent on a split tail bothered me for a while... I'm getting used to it now though.

booboo said:
I learned on 1/2", been climbing on it for years. Always preferred Safety Blue to Arbor Plex, 16 strand was way more comfortable in the hand than 12 strand and binds a lot less. To try something different, I picked up some XTC 2 weeks ago and have been climbing on it since then. The jury is still out. XTC feels really waxy and tight but I'm guessing once it's broken in a bit more, it will be fine.

Cheers...

I've been on XTC Plus for almost three years, and yes it breaks in fine. I have a new hank ready to replace my existing rope that is ready to retire, I took it out to play around on it at home, get it a bit broken in before using it on a job, boy I had forgotten how nice and smooth a new rope is! So easy to pull slack over those higher fatter TIPs.

Rope care: inspect it, wash it, ditch it when you start to think twice!

Latest posts

Back