Tanaka Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotax Robert

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone out there own or use a Tanaka ECS-3301 or the TCS-3401 ?
A buddy of mine asked me what I knew about them so I am asking here. Short of the specs how do rate with other top handle saws ie: reliability issue etc.

Rotax Robert

MS200T will always be the daddy but its the most expensive.

I think i asked the question about these saws a while back if you do a search. I was told 200T then 338xpt. My personal experence with Tanaka is with there pole saw. I borrowed it and kept it in the house so it would be an easy start in the morning. Dam thing wouldn't go at all it turned an easy job into a hard one, in short i'm steering clear of Tanaka get a second hand 020T.

Tanaka

No, Husky bought Redmax...

Husqvarna Buys Komatsu Outdoor Business Sep 26, 2006.
Outdoor power equipment maker Husqvarna agreed to acquire Komatsu Ltd.'s outdoor power products operation within Komatsu Zenoah Co. Husqvarna AB is based in Stockholm, Sweden. Komatsu Zenoah is a leading producer of portable outdoor power products in Japan. Products include brush cutters, chainsaws, trimmers, and blowers. Sales for this operation in 2005/2006, the latest fiscal year, were approximately 19 billion yen (approx. U.S. $ 163 million), with about half its sales in Japan. The company has about 700 employees and manufactures in Japan and China.

Mark, Welcome to Arboristsite. Glad to see manufacturers involved in customer feedback. I see you have a new Tanaka Dist in VA. Tony

Tanaka

Thanks. Looks like this site has picked up since the last time I was here.

We have been a forum sponsor on ************ for 2 years and the feedback / interaction has been invaluable. Looking forward to exploring arborsite - wish we had more saws to offer!

Feel free to drop me a line anytime. [email protected]

-MW

I like Tanaka equipment but there are no dealers near me. I haven't seen a piece of their equipment less than 10 years old. It's like no one around here bought one after 1995.

Well Robert, I don't know about the two models you describe, but my old Tanaka has been a great little saw! I bought it and an old Dynamark at an auction a year and a half ago for a $1 for the pair. Looked like neither of them had run in a long time, but some fresh gas in the Tanaka and a tweak to the carb had it running great. I've been using it ever since with no problem other than a broken clutch spring. I was impressed when I went to the dealer and was able to buy any part for the clutch seperately! With most other brands, I would have been forced to buy a whole new clutch if I only needed a couple of pieces. An even tho this is an older saw, all parts were still available, unlike another brand I could mention that starts with an "H" (and isn't Husky).......... :censored:

The only Tanaka I've ever owned is my gas-powered drill...quite a beast! It's let me run a 36" long bit through about 28 to 30" of white oak while suspened 20' off the ground for bracing. It's seen many days of doing cabling. Only item replaced on it was the gas cap, as the original dried out, got brittle and cracked.

Mr. Woodling,

That wouldn't be a rebadged Redmax 5000 would it? Ran on once. Very nice saw.

3401 and 3301

Yes, I use both of those saws. The 3401 has a 12 inch bar and the 3301B a fourteen. I prefer the 3401 because of the manual fuel pump which helps with starting. I use them both all summer and winter and they start and run well.The 3401 seems to be the better balanced for one hand work, maybe only because of the short bar though.

I use them for fence building- rail fences- and because one is usually strapped on to an atv I wind up cutting quite a bit of firewood them while working around the place. When doing firewood I wish there was an adapter for the handle so more torc could be applied.

Rancher

Luke said:
Mr. Woodling,

Sure looks like a Redmax 5000 to me..

The Dolmar 3410TH is made by Dolmar in Germany and is a very strong saw for its weight

Scott

Luke said:
Mr. Woodling,

Yes, but equipped with the Tanaka auto-choke system. The ECS-3301, ECS-3351, TCS-3401, and ECV-4501 are Tanaka built.

-MW

Back