Tanks lakeside and AS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedarkerf

Known to some as....
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Went to Lakesides today I was having problems with my 044 idling. He ran it and tinkered with the idle and it just wasn't cooperating. Took in the shop where he checked out the carb didn't find anything obvious. Did a pressure check held pressure fine. Performed a vacuum test and found a leaky fly wheel side leak. Saw how well the stihl seal puller worked,slick tool. Put in new seal and walla idle adjustment worked. It was fun to learn first hand how this is all done and really how simple these saws are. Andy is very generous with his time and knowledge and is a true asset to this site.
He also made a quick check of an 066 I bought on ebay and used a tach to adjust it for max power and said it was a solid saw. I think I am done buying running saws on ebay got lucky now I can get out.
I am also going to build up my saw tool collection amazing how the right tools make the job so easy.
Thanks Arborist site for this forum to meet great people and get good advice.

Lakeside is truly one of a kind. It amazes me how generous he is with his time and knowledge around saw people. I only hope I am fortunate enough to get to meet him someday along with a few others on this site and they know who they are.( also includes Manual and :newbie: )

Lakeside is truly one of a kind. It amazes me how generous he is with his time and knowledge around saw people. I only hope I am fortunate enough to get to meet him someday along with a few others on this site and they know who they are.( also includes Manual and :newbie: )

So True .......................:bowdown: Andy.............

Lakeside's definitely one of the handful who make this site what it is.

Ditto. Andy U da man:rock:

bks044, glad you caught that leak before you did any damage to your saw. My newly acquired 2100 has been idling wierd lately, got me thinking I may want to check for leaks too......

This 044 was worth saving.. 1991...maybe 2500-3000 hours, 150 plus compression, and you can still see the machining marks on most of the piston skirt!!! Been run all its life on Dino oil... and obviously looked after. Most of the paint is still intact and the plastic is in goods shape. Even the carb is original.. as was the fuel filter (but that got changed...). Unusually great condition for a pro-use saw...

The carb was flaky on the low end. Hard to hold a consistent idle and the idle was nowhere near the standard carb settings. The pressure test was perfect.. the vac test showed a real slow leak, but well within spec. Popped of the flywheel and applied some light oil to the seal - the leak stopped. Prodded the seal gently with a screw driver and it immediately leaked again.

Replaced the seal, test ran the saw, and cut wood. Normal idle centered right around 1 turn out.

The 066 just needed a minor adjust on the low end. Cut great even with a slightly dull chain. Flowmax(?) air filter and two snorting pipes. Great sound. Saw might have been worked over by Walkers..

I got to put another face to an AS name.. I'm already three beers into the case :D

Last edited:
I have to jump in with my story. You may have seen the saw creep on my signature? I haven't bought a running saw since my Husky 350 five years ago. Every one of them has been resurrected with info from this site, often from Lakeside. I have had a lot of fun working on them and the sense of accomplishment when I get one running like new is priceless. Thanks Lakeside, you have no idea how often your info is put to use through searches! :clap:
Brad

This 044 was worth saving.. 1991...maybe 2500-3000 hours, 150 plus compression, and you can still see the machining marks on most of the piston skirt!!! Been run all its life on Dino oil... and obviously looked after. Most of the paint is still intact and the plastic is in goods shape. Even the carb is original.. as was the fuel filter (but that got changed...). Unusually great condition for a pro-use saw...

The carb was flaky on the low end. Hard to hold a consistent idle and the idle was nowhere near the standard carb settings. The pressure test was perfect.. the vac test showed a real slow leak, but well within spec. Popped of the flywheel and applied some light oil to the seal - the leak stopped. Prodded the seal gently with a screw driver and it immediately leaked again.

Replaced the seal, test ran the saw, and cut wood. Normal idle centered right around 1 turn out.

The 066 just needed a minor adjust on the low end. Cut great even with a slightly dull chain. Flowmax(?) air filter and two snorting pipes. Great sound. Saw might have been worked over by Walkers..

I got to put another face to an AS name.. I'm already three beers into the case :D

the big question now is....what kinda beer? I'm sippin on a bass ale at the moment

I don't care what they think... If it's your beer, you like it... and I do...
;) On the other hand, if it's "theirs" it's pig swill, unless it's free ..:hmm3grin2orange: I have high standards until the 3rd bottle or so...

Lakeside's definitely one of the handful who make this site what it is.

Yes, Sir

If Andy don't know the answer (very rare) he will take the
time and effort to find the answer.......Its like he is getting
paid to do it!
.........So Andy my wife makes IMO a very, very good
German rye bread......If you would like loaf, PM me with your
address......she makes one or to loafs a week.

rye.jpg

Andy is allways very helpful, both to AS members and his nabours, and I am sure it is more that we don't know of.......:clap: :clap: :cheers: :cheers:

the vac test showed a real slow leak, but well within spec. Popped of the flywheel and applied some light oil to the seal - the leak stopped. Prodded the seal gently with a screw driver and it immediately leaked again.:D

Andy, what is good and what is bad when it comes to a vacuum/pressure test? I would assume that a vacuum/pressure dropping to half of its value over 10 seconds is about as bad as you want it for a working saw. A vacuum/pressure dropping to half of its value over, say, 4-5 minutes, should be ok??

Back