Tauntline Hitch Appreciation Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tautline always works for me. And a couple of my past and present bosses only use one turn around the top of the hitch. I never tried it but I always refered to it as the bob hitch, or the paul hitch, or the russ, hitch, or whomever used it. I don't recomend or endorse this, just throwing it out there for the sake of conversation. be safe

Met a redneck climber in VA. and asked him "what kind of hitch do you use... have you ever tried a french prussic or do you just use a tautline?"... He had that look like "WHAT'S A TAUTLINE" so I added 2 under and 2 over...
He replied..."OH NO... I'm a speed climber 2 under...1 OVER..

That's the same guy that tried to kill his prune jobs with spikes so he could get the removal later..

Now he's the kind of guy that would really appreciate this TL appreciation thread..

new school

I'm with Brian on this one. I've used a Blakes for some time, and knew of the Vt, distel, etc. but never tried them. Once Brian showed me in person, well, that's all she wrote. I might think of a Tautline sometimes, kinda like when I think about not climbing NEVER.......:D Currently switching over to the SRT, it takes a little while to set up, but it seems much more versitile.......

I used the blake's today on a second tie in on the tail of the climbing rope. I liked it fine. Thanks Eric for the thread on the blake's, I read it forever ago, but I used the knowledge today.

As for the tauntline, I have yet to give it a chance.

I was on the taughtline 3 below and one above my first year, then the blakes came out. Just more smooth and dont unroll i like it lots more. Tried the MT once or twice, but when tying into a pully the MT is just to fast.

I've had not problems with the blakes. If I fall on it it wont scench down like the taughtline, instead it will slip-grap-slips for several feet and then hold tight or so the pro's say. I have seen the taughtline burned into itself from a teenager that fell 30 onto it.
Edit: actually he fell onto a 2 inch stubb and the fliped line caught. He cut the stubb off and kept it with him for a few days.

I suppose I should chime in here as this was origonally my question regarding the number of above and below turns on the TLH that got all this started...

Thanks for all the interesting (and colorful) input regarding hitches. I have a couple things to say:

1.) Thanks to all the supporters of the TLH, which has for years stopped climbers from hitting the ground (and made us more than a few dollars besides).

2.) Even more thanks to those that develop and try out new rigging for us climbers to use that (sometimes) is easier and safer to use.

3.) For all the climbers and riggers represented here at ArborSite for the million or so years of accumulated knowledge. I actually do read the literature and also the information presented here and on other sites.

Although I have only been climbing trees for a living for about four years, I have a great deal of rock climbing experience (15+ years) and a lot of the gear is used in similar ways. I am ALWAYS looking for the SAFEST and FASTEST way to get the job done. Remember, "Nobody gets paid till we get out of here"...

My motto - "Nuthin got broke, Nobody got killed... it was a GREAT day!"

MB, politely told me I had to stay out of this thread, cuz I don't appreciate a TL ;)

Larry

i free-fell about about 10 or 12' on a blakes like three weeks ago. that thing didnt move an inch! what a bite. dam near turned that knot inside out, but man did i go boink when i ran out of slack. archaic-maybe. but that is a dependable dependable hitch. i dont care whatca say. easy to tie, and i cant understand how it could be mis-tied. i might try the distel or some other advanced hitch, but probly not any time soon.
butch dont listen to the h8rs. i know you dont, but...well, you know...

Where is ROCKY???

Why was there 10-12' of slack in your climbing line? I rarely have more than a foot of slack, 10-12 is unimaginable:rolleyes:

If there's a lot of slack in you line above you then you're going to freefall with a sudden stop, which could in itself cause injury, wheras if there is little or no slack, you won't have that jarring stop at the end......Unless of course you swing into the trunk!

Believe it or not a sudden stop can actually bounce your brain off the inside of your skull, causing severe injuries, even if theres no joint or muscle injuries associated. it's common in car accidents also.

there was no slack. it happened while rappelling on a removal.kind of a long/embarrassing story id rather not repeat. you can find it on mb's homepage if you really want... :rolleyes:
any way, my point is that the blakes will step up for you every time. at least iit has for me. and just for the sake of conversation, i normally keep a pretty close eye :Eye: on the slack- youd never see that kind of slack in my line unless i was held in place w/a positioning lanyard.

thanks alan. im highly aware of such injury/hazard. the guy who taught me the ropes regularly kept what i thought was alot of slack in his line. and i always wondered if he wasnt putting himself at risk...

the tree i was in had a severe dog-leg and so i was afforded escape w/only a bruised ego and a sore neck/ i didnt smash into the spar. though in all fairness, i did not visit a healthcare pro after.

Back