Taylor OWB producing too much creosite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time warp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 750 taylor is running black liquid creosite out the back access door. I expected some but a half coffee can worth in 3-days can't be normal.The tubes inside are getting coated with a black sticky tar. My taylor dealer suggested to raise the back of the stove up 1-in. to let the stuff go more toward the fire box to be burnt up. Do you folks think is correct or do I have a chimney issue. I have the original stack height when it was new. Thanks,this is my first owb & my first post on this site.

TreeCo, If i would only be able to explain my neighbour.:(

Smoke smoke smoke and the creosote parts falling of his roof but he cant get the point that a fire has to burn and not smoulder all day to get his water temp at 40 celcius continuesly.

Optimum fire = maximum heat

OWB transfers this from air/radiation to raise in water temp.

Burn it 30min full power till your water has 80 celcius and then store the water isolated and use it or circulate it till it cools down to ambient temp and THEN put the fire on again.

More efficient, less creosote, less smoke, less work

Why everybody understands this principle with stone-stoves and not with owb´s ??? heating water or stone or air or meat is only the second phase of the process....

Sorry, had to get my frustrstions out

For the OP , i do agree, hot burn = no creosote and the suggestion of the supplier is BS to my opinion.

Thanks for replies guys. Tatra805, glad I could give you a chance to vent. I'm now running the fan with the dampner half open verses 1/4 open like before. The owb is burning hotter now but still a buildup. It's not as bad as before so I'm seeing improvement. The supplier's theory of raising the back of the stove an 1" is so the buildup will go toward the firebox rather than the back of the unit. I don't want to screw around raising it & possibly causing a leak in my pipes if you guys think there is no benefit to it. Thanks

Time Warp,

Maybe i was a little short in my BS statement. Creosote is the result of a bad combustion process, therefore it should not be accepted. I do understand that raising the back would make the creosote run back into the firebox and be burnt after all but.... refuse to see the point.

If that is the solution, and the supplier sees it as something normal he should have build a sloped firebox. But be sure that he knows it is not a normal thing.

Dont minimize the creosote build up. This is a slow process that guarantees a stuffed chimney and the risk of a chimney fire. Even if you accept this and can live with short interval cleaning the fact stays that you are wasting efficiency in your burn process.

And your efficiency goes down every day over a long period till you really notice it.

Wood mixture plays a role and finding the right settings for optimal heat related to it takes some time to figure out.

Good luck!

15-18 years ago

I plumbed up a Taylor OWB for a friends folks.. That dude would drip creosote out the front.. Right by the door.. They always had a 5 gallon bucket there to catch the black nasty liquid good..
So I guess they have changed their design some now days.

Latest posts

Back