Teach me about the Brazilian Stihls, please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serial killer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I spotted a Stihl 08 on ebay, listed only as "stihl chain saw used." I was very tempted to buy it, but then I started to do a little googling to figure out when they switched from the nice raised molded lettering on the sprocket cover to the metal plate. I found a thread on another site about a guy in South Africa who bought a brand new 08S earlier this month. I wouldn't mind having a really really nice vintage saw, but a brand new saw of the same type would also be pretty keen, and probably better than any half-arsed resto that I would get myself into. blsnelling has the patience of a saint; sadly I do not.

So now, I am very much interested in finding out about these Brazilian Stihls that I've heard so many rumors about. For instance:

*I assume that the "modern" Stihls are made in the US or in Germany, and some of the outdated ones that maybe wouldn't pass EPA standards are still made in Brazil. Is this true? Are there other manufacturing plants throughout the world that I don't know about?

*Which models are made in Brazil, and which of those are not available in the US?
-Looking at the Stihl Brazil website it seems as though they produce the 051, 08S, 170, 180, 192T, 210, 250, 360, 381, 390, 460, 650, and 660. Of these, the 051, 08S, 360, and 381 are no longer for sale in the US. That's about all I can glean from their site because I don't speak Portuguese, and for some reasson it keeps making my browser crash. However, it brings up another question:

*If they do indeed make some of my favorite newer saws like the 460 and 660 in Brazil, are they all made there? Are any of those ones imported to the US? How can I tell if I am getting a US or German or Brazilian saw?

*If they do indeed still produce saws like the 051, 360, and 08S in Brazil, are they still the same as the classic versions? Is the quality the same, and has the design been changed?

*Where can I purchase any of those saws? If they aren't exported to the US, what countries are they exported to? How much do they cost? How would I go about buying and importing a few to the US?

*Should I just plan on taking me and my wallet on vacation to Brazil?

If you can answer any of my questions, or point me in the direction of some resources that would help me find answers, I would greatly appreciate it. I did a search on this site for Stihl and Brazil, but it seemed like it was only mentioned in passing, and any information I found was fairly incomplete.

Thanks again.

P.S. The Stihl Brazil site caused my browser to crash the first two times I wrote this thread, so I may have forgotten to include something that I originally meant to. I may add to my list of questions later.

If the serial number begins with a "3", then you have a Brazilian made saw...
No Brazil saws are currently imported "legally" into he USA. The only saw made in Brazil for the USA was the 038M2.

Last edited:
What about the old 760 concrete saws? Company I work for has boat loads of new parts for them. All the starter covers say "Made in Brazil"

If the serial number begins with a "3", then you have a Brazilian made saw...
No Brazil saws are currently imported "legally" into he USA. The only saw made in Brazil for the USA was the 038M2.

Crucial info. Thank you sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Latest posts

Back