Technical questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Forsh said:
Okay Simon I have one for you.

I have a 281XP that won't oil is there an obvious cause or problem I should look for? The guy I bought it from told me that his local saw shop suggested a nylon drive cog was probably the culprit. I haven't got into the saw yet to investigate, but any tips or info will be gratefully received.

Dan
That is a possibility, most likely cause is a plugged intake screen on the pick-up. That is an older saw, if you find the worm gear is damaged, spin the oil pump by hand once it is removed and make sure there is no extra friction, it should spin fairly easily then get a bit harder as the return spring gets compressed by the little cam, then it should get easy again and repeat itself, otherwise the gear which is Polypropylene (not nylon) will suffer the same fate quickly. Also check the obvious things like the oil gallery in the bar. Let me know. Cheers, Simon.

Cheers Simon, I'll keep you posted.

Dan

lostone said:
OK, Simonizer I have a HD-8a carb on my 046 I am getting ready to rebuild it on the lever adjustment do I use a straight edge across the top of the carb? looking at a photo of the Walbro lever adjustment tool the HDA, HDB are on the straight edge so I could just use any straight edge to set my lever adjustment?
The carb kit for that saw should be an RK-23HS. Set the metering tab flush with the top of the valley it sits in. Make sure you fit the fork of the metering tab into the spool of the diaphragm actuator not below it. I have seen this several times and it causes a flooding condition at worst and a very rich condition at best. Cheers buddy.

Mike Maas said:
I got some technical questions. Why do the little pecker pole cutters like the 026 come with .063 gage chain, while the big 'uns come with .050?
What is the weight difference between a 20" 063 bar and a 20" .050?
Hi Mike, what dealer did you buy that from? 3/8" .050 (72 ga) should be the standard on that saw.
.063 (75ga) is normally used only on bars longer than 24" We sell 32" bars with the .063 only on MS460's and up. Many of our Husqvarna's go out with the Stihl bars now as well. (Although they come with the 10mm not 12mm bar stud groove). I don't know what the weight difference is per driver. I should imagine about 20% as the tie straps are also thicker on that chain. The weight of the bars is probably very close. I can weight them for you on Tuesday if it is that important.

Simonizer said:
Hi Mike, what dealer did you buy that from? 3/8" .050 (72 ga) should be the standard on that saw.
.063 (75ga) is normally used only on bars longer than 24" We sell 32" bars with the .063 only on MS460's and up. Many of our Husqvarna's go out with the Stihl bars now as well. (Although they come with the 10mm not 12mm bar stud groove). I don't know what the weight difference is per driver. I should imagine about 20% as the tie straps are also thicker on that chain. The weight of the bars is probably very close. I can weight them for you on Tuesday if it is that important.

Why is 063 sold on longer bars? Wouldn't that just make it heavier? .013 thicker steel, that's gotta add up over 20, 24, or longer bars. And to what end? The tie straps are still the same size, as are the cutters. Even the drivers are the same, except for the bottom 2/3s being stamp a little thiner, as a .050.
Whatzzzup with that???

Fish have you been sniffing that jug of '' white lightning '' from them there mountains again ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think Stihl feels it is a friction vs. surface area issue on longer bars.
The longer the bar the slightly more friction on the drivers/bar surface grove.
Stihl opts for the wider drivers/.063 to displace/widen the surface area on the drive rim, hence it takes longer to cut into a rim with .063 rather than .058 or .050.

Hows that for an average Joe non-engineer type?

Please...please... no more questions!!!

My non-engineer brain burnt out on that one.

OK Simonized I have a different carb kit K10-HD 01 for it and everything looks the same as what I took out, I put cleaner down every jet I could then blew it out with compressed air, and put in all the new parts and set the lever flush like the one that was in it was, the saw started right up after 4 pulls I let it idle for about 2 min then it tried to stumble on me so I hit the trigger and cleared it, after that I have been able to let it set there for however long it wants and it idles just fine, the reason I rebuilt it is it would start and idle fine but if I went to make a cut then it would just die after 10 or 15 seconds of wot in the cut, or if the temp was below about 35 outside it didn't want to start at all. I have put a new tank vent in as well I will be able to take it out tomorrow and put it into some wood and see if this has solved the problem.

Max said:
I think Stihl feels it is a friction vs. surface area issue on longer bars.
The longer the bar the slightly more friction on the drivers/bar surface grove.
Stihl opts for the wider drivers/.063 to displace/widen the surface area on the drive rim, hence it takes longer to cut into a rim with .063 rather than .058 or .050.

Hows that for an average Joe non-engineer type?

Please...please... no more questions!!!

My non-engineer brain burnt out on that one.

That's a possibly valid reason, but a really stupid one if that's why!

Imagine running the 043 pico with 5 or 6 hp...it would slice through the rim in a day! But what do I know, I'm not an engineer! :)

Hi Simon, I am writing you from the dayroom here from the prison in Headingly Manitoba. I'm am doing 5 years because I cut down trees in the nude, most recently on the grounds of the University of Manitoba. I am a repeat offender, hence the long prison term.
There are lots of queers in here, but I never stick my bar in the dirt.
Humphrey Dumbroski

Being I am not an engineer...I may derail the thread a bit.

Hi John,

How is prison treating you? Do you still get to run the 020av?
How is she doing in the thin air up there?

Prison XXX's & OOO's

Mike Maas said:
Although you might not bury your bar in the dirt, don't drop the soap, or some other logger will!

Hahahaha!
Is that then not living proof that loggers puk treeapes? lol
John

Did somebody say testicle questions :blob5: ?

Simonizer, welcome aboard! Don't worry about the yahoos with warped senses of humor, they are in the minority. To my knowledge, AS does not have, and has never had, a sense of humour :laugh: .

welcome Simonizer, your contributions are apreciated!

Typical.....bout 80% of the threads started never stay on topic. This thread started from what appears to be someone that was willing to offer free advice on difficult saw problems. Someone that might know a little about saws....someone that was "factory trained" . Maybe for those of you that are "MVPs. Sponsors and Senior members" it is all a joke. I honestly dunno, but for those of you that really have something to offer and are willing to help those that ask with honest advise and comments I applaud you. Even though I may be a "junior member" I have been around the business long enough to figure out who is a wannabe and who is a never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back