Tell me about Axes....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes, safety chaps! Maybe some bright clothing like the Husqvarna chainsaw video guys too. Don't want to be shot by hunters while I'm scrounging. Forgot one more thing, some shin guards. A massive round fell back onto my left shin. Almost cried yesterday in the woods. Wife was nearby so I had to man up and just complained about it for the rest of the day.

Regular chainsaw chaps takes care of the of shins...when you wear them that is. It is the second part I tend to forget when fooling around the woodpile.

Harry K

I used to leave a lot of that stuff there before I gots me a hydraulic splitter. Last year I mostly used the splitting axe since I could split my wood with a lighter tool in as many or less blows. My maul is an old who knows the brand but it says Made in USA on it that had to be wire wheeled to get the rust off so that might have something to do with it. I sharpened it with a medium grit stone on a bench grinder so that might be part of the problem too. I do know that I'm no longer leaving the big stuff nobody wants to deal with since I can process it easily now.

You're not talking about those manual hydraulic splitters right? Just saw a foot operated log splitter. I could split one with my foot and another round with my Fiskars. Boom! Although I would probably miss with the Fiskars and split my shin in half.

Also, are you a 12v P pump driver?

Regular chainsaw chaps takes care of the of shins...when you wear them that is. It is the second part I tend to forget when fooling around the woodpile.

Harry K

Awesome, one less thing to lug around. I need to find the best budget chaps.

Y'all think way to much about splitting a piece of wood just pick up the closest maul or axe and hit the damn thing if it don't bust back up and try something else.

lmao. I used to think I over thought things way too much until I found this site.

Just used my cheapo axe. Works good, i just suck
Keep swinging, you will get better.
Concentrate on where the strike should land and repeat often enough and the muscle memory will take over.
I was splitting a few evenings ago and just kept swinging as it got dark. I split several rounds after it was full dark without a mislick.
There may be an article called Zen and the Art of Splitting.

You're not talking about those manual hydraulic splitters right?

Also, are you a 12v P pump driver?

No, I saved up some money and bought a 27 ton DHT which has been a great investment. And yes I have one of the P7100 engines with a few adjustments. I want to buy a newer one with a quad cab due to family size expansion last year but I have to get done with the next couple semesters so I can work more. Might get a 24V and drive it till it dumps and swap in my 12V.

No... you should refresh yourself with Mr. Newton's laws... specifically the Law of Conservation of Momentum (derived from Newton's Third Law of Motion).

It states the total momentum of a closed system does not change. This means that when two objects collide the total momentum of the objects before the collision is the same as the total momentum of the objects after the collision (a stationary object has zero momentum).

Now, billiard balls are not an absolute "closed" system, there is a very tiny amount of momentum lost to friction and whatnot... that's why I said "roughly" 20 FPS (because the struck ball would be moving slightly less than 20 FPS... certainly not more). If that 6 ounce ball was traveling at 28 FPS after the collision by the 3 ounce ball... well... that would break Mr. Newton's laws and most of them would need to be rewritten. You are correct that energy can be neither created nor destroyed, but "kinetic" energy is not energy (in the sense you speak, in the physics sense), nor is it potential energy... it is a potential value, or reference value, depending on the calculation.

Go back and read my post again... I used the word value, not energy.

Oh... by-the-way... "Energy" equals mass times the speed of light squared (E=mc²).
Notice the velocity of mass itself is not part of the equation.

I dont feel like this conversation is going to change your skewed outlook on how the world of physics actually works. One post your in left field asking where all the extra energy went in the example, which I explained, and in another post you seem to be able to explain the correct understanding of Newton's law. Good day to you.

No, I saved up some money and bought a 27 ton DHT which has been a great investment. And yes I have one of the P7100 engines with a few adjustments. I want to buy a newer one with a quad cab due to family size expansion last year but I have to get done with the next couple semesters so I can work more. Might get a 24V and drive it till it dumps and swap in my 12V.

I've been reading about those engines. Didn't know anything about diesels so I researched it. The 12v sounds like the perfect wood hauling motor. Reliable and easy to fix.

Heres my old 24v
95328f3c8e81dc516d9ca3a503997e3c.jpg
4ef1a6c0398d2cb54c83b1cc9750bc4b.jpg

One post your in left field asking where all the extra energy went in the example, which I explained, and in another post you seem to be able to explain the correct understanding of Newton's law.
BU!!$H!T... left field my azz.

In that same post when I asked where all that extra energy went, I specifically stated it didn't go anywhere because it never existed (as "energy").
Your explanation confuses kinetic energy with energy, and I simply pointed out the error by using one of Newton's Laws of Motion... which, I'll also point out you brought up in error.
I ain't stating the correct "understanding" of Newton's Law... I'm simply stating what Newton's Law says (or what the law derived from it says).

Your major error is equating kinetic energy with energy, they are two completely different things that can not be used interchangeably... but you don't understand that.

So don't try and put it off as me having a "skewed" outlook on how the world(?) of physics actually works... you're the one in error.

Heres my old 24v

Nice truck. You still have it?

How did the splitting go? Did the single bit get stuck a lot?

I couldn't see myself going back to a gasser after owning this thing.

Once I work from home I'm getting myself a big ole 1 ton diesel. I don't have to worry about fuel prices and I can load it up with firewood, to an extent.

Anyone else think it's hilarious these two guys are still arguing about physics?

Once I work from home I'm getting myself a big ole 1 ton diesel. I don't have to worry about fuel prices and I can load it up with firewood, to an extent.

Anyone else think it's hilarious these two guys are still arguing about physics?

You've seen Big Bang Theory right? Let it go.

That being said I loved Electromagnetic and Nuclear Physics. The only two things I could wrap my head around.

No i sold it for 3k after the 2nd billet trans blew up. I wasnt going to drop another 5k on a trans. I miss it but, im starting on my ranger with a 5.0 that would probably eat that trucks lunch LOL

It did get stuck, im not sure whats causing it. But i did get some wood split.

No i sold it for 3k after the 2nd billet trans blew up. I wasnt going to drop another 5k on a trans. I miss it but, im starting on my ranger with a 5.0 that would probably eat that trucks lunch LOL

It did get stuck, im not sure whats causing it. But i did get some wood split.

Just buy a Ford Lightning and call it a day.

I could only split small rounds with a single bit axe. I'm sure people use them to split but I sucked with it.

Latest posts

Back