Tell me I'm crazy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdtoolmkr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a long history of building Harley motors, I have a blown up 026 (bad p&c) at home on the work bench. This is my thoughts, and I may be way off base. I am a toolmaker and CNC programmer for a living. I've been watching these billet Harley cylinders grow in the past few years..... Anyone see where I'm going? I have access to CMM to build 3D model of stock cylinder, can machine a sleeve, have it chromed, press fit into a billet cylinder, machine a billet piston of whatever style pop up I want and???? I know it makes NO sense to do this, other than to see if it works... Thoughts?? Has it been done before?

ya i makes sense but if you were going to all that trouble while your at it why dont you machiene the ports a little?
then you could have a stock ported cylinder? and if it works and the tool deflection wasnt too bad you could even sell them

I used to ride an ol' 49 "G" model. Had a similar treatment done by a close friend, that and a set of pork chop flywheels. Threw the Linkert away and went with a big Mikuni. Wholke new ride after that.
If you have the resources, go for it. I would make a 2 piece cylinder with a removable head though. Maybe tap intop some of the builders here for tips.
You will have to post pictures of course.............:laugh::laugh:

ya i makes sense but if you were going to all that trouble while your at it why dont you machiene the ports a little?
then you could have a stock ported cylinder? and if it works and the tool deflection wasnt too bad you could even sell them

Of course I would be doing some port work (different from stock) I am not sure what that will look like. I have no intentions of selling them.

Of course I would be doing some port work (different from stock) I am not sure what that will look like. I have no intentions of selling them.

Not going to sell them?? But i really want a 200cc, two piece, finger ported cylinder and piston with the cylinder base matched to a 084 case. Just sayin.:D

Ya' know if you go to all the trouble of all the programming involved, maybe do a short production run. All billet P&C would have a definite "cool factor". I know I'd buy a set.

Sounds fun, you are not going to know unless you try it.:msp_smile:

Ya' know if you go to all the trouble of all the programming involved, maybe do a short production run. All billet P&C would have a definite "cool factor". I know I'd buy a set.

Okay, I MAY make more than one, but this is a hobby, I have a full time (72 hrs) a week cutting chips for the smallest of the "big 3". This is going to take some time too, but I've got that. Lol

Yep, You're Crazy alright. Sometimes the mad scientist has the coolest stuff though.

Sign me up for an 8hp MS441RCM kit. That way if I blow the crank on it I can swap my stock p&c back on and make Adolf Stihl warranty it!

Go for it

I was a CNC programmer (and operator) for years (making Boeing aircraft parts); when we did a first run on any part we always had to send it off to get approved before production could be started

You'll have alot of time invested in this project

yep, you're mad as a hatter, but in this case, that's a good thing. Go for it, and be sure to document your progress on this forum!

Hmm, I have access to the machine lab as part of being an engineering student....

Why would the gasket be the trickest part?

Just get a standard size copper ring and make the appropriate groove on both the head and cylinder, its not that hard.

Or use Yamabond

or gasket material and a razor knife.

Don't get tripped up on the little things.

Sam

Why not?
I also used to make engine parts for the big 3.
And boats.
The tools are out there, your only limited by your imagination, and of course your wallet.

[video=youtube_share;QHDGVJPFd38]http://youtu.be/QHDGVJPFd38[/video]

Entirely possible, but I can't imagine going to that effort on a 50cc saw. Not to mention to make parts that can be bought for a couple hundred bucks and which will be lighter.

The reason two cycle engine cylinders are cast is that machining the port passages would be almost impossible. Even prototype cylinders are cast to form the complex shape of the passages. Here's a mold plug for a cylinder.

foto37.gif

If I was going to go to all the time it would take to program and cut a cylinder and piston on a cnc mill, I'd just as well put the hours into building a hot saw. It could even be somewhat practical :msp_sneaky: like using an air cooled kart engine so you can make runs for more than a few seconds w/o overheating.

SUDAN300.JPG

toolmaker/cnc

I'd love to see someone w/the OP's background give this a try. After some trial and error who knows what he could come up with. This is how hot-rodders come up w/innovation that from time to time change a whole industry...a paradigm shift if you will...By all means go for it...ignore naysayers and just do it if it's in ya....I'd hope you would keep us posted whenever you have something you think is working. First time ya do that folks will start to jump on board. Lots of experts on here that could answer any questions ya might have re current saw development. Good luck.

Back