Thank you for all the great answers!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I WILL be picking up a RIM sprocket IN THE MORNING!!!! I am sick and tired of all this wear that I am seeing on my chains!!!! The rear of the drivers are hammered out!! And the sprocket is due to be replaced anyway. THANK YOU

In your previous thread, I said I couldn't see a downside to using rims.

I forgot about one thing. Soon after making the switch on one of the boy's saws we went out cutting wood. When he swapped chains he wasn't expecting anything but a spur sprocket. With an outboard clutch, he didnt see anything different. He slipped the chain on just like he had many times in the past and didn't get it back in the rim. The first cut he knew there was someting wrong when the chain would turn but wouldnt cut and "made noises" from under the cover. You gotta remember that when a teen boy says "it made noises" they are going to be obviously bad ones.

Luckily we figured it out before any damage occured. The couple extra seconds 'lost' making sure the chain goes on right is made up for the rest of the day in every cut you make with it. As well as not having to retension the chain as often.

Anyway, it is something to keep in mind if you take your saws with an extra person and they arent accustommed to the better setup.

Back