Thanks for a good resource

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

priest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
You know I'm a new member of this site, and I think it's pretty cool. I wish I'd have found it a couple of years ago. The only tree guys I had contact with for the first few years after I entered this shindig were local tree guys, generally my direct competition. The advice they have had to offer was sometimes useful, sometimes not, sometimes informed and constructive, and sometimes uninformed and/or designed to discourage unwelcomed competition.

Some of the first real interaction I had with other, more experienced tree companies and arborists came about when I went down to Pensacola to work for four weeks after Hurricane Ivan ravaged the area. It was quite an experience. There was no electricity (no AC), no phones, and no cable in the motel, so every night after we got done for the day all the tree guys hung out in the parking lot. The air was cooler, but thick with aggressive mosquitoes that I heard were not native, but blown in from the Carribean by the storm.

We discussed all aspects of this industry, from the different perspectives of many people from across the eastern half of the U.S. over bottles of beer. Then we slept a few hours and went back to work, generating more stories of adverse situations and corresponding solutions. I guess that awakened me to the commonality among people in this industry.

IMO, the exchange of ideas among arborists should not be seen as helping the competition. Through this exchange, our increased knowledge should help us better relay to the public the need for responsible tree care. And as the public becomes better informed and begins to appreciate, there will be enough work for all of us who are dedicated to this business.

So thanks to those who designed and manage this site and to everyone who contributes their ideas.

Good on ya mate ... and you too can contribute, plenty of different ways to skin cats.

Do you skin cats with a 346 XP or would you use a top-handle with a thinner kerf? I guess it would depend if the cat were bein' prepped for a stew or a sammie. I'm hungry.

Back on track

Oh yea! Priest has come into the circle and wishes to express his forward approach to the sharing of information, thanking Mr and Mrs Arboristsite for creating the platform, and to all who visit for their viewership and contributions to the ********* community at large.

Did I get it right, Priest?

I kinda know how priest feels. I just joined, and it's a little daunting to jump right in. You have to care a lot to be around here. After working all day in the field, you're a committed man if you decide to contribute to a website. In my opinion, if you do tree work right, you're too tired to even type at the end of the day.

I lurk a lot, but I live in Emerald Ash Borer-land. I know that I would report any news that I heard, just to stop it from spreading. I like the fact that the people who tend to post the most actually care the most.

Well Thank you for your contribution. Those who contribute (may I speak on behalf of all?) do so because 1) we care deeply about trees, and 2) we care about the men performing the tasks. We want you climbing safely and performing competently all the things that a treeguy does.

It's self-serving; if we help YOU, then you can better help the industry, you'll want to help the next guy and so on. It all revolves around these forums, taking the issues of our industry right into your home. How convenient is that? And it's FREEeeeeeee. Where else do you get cutting-edge, practical education by just visiting during the hours YOU choose. Pretty nice, eh?

Yes, I come home at the end of most days, all beat to crap, and stop in at the computer to visit y'all. I call it dedication. My wife calls it an illness. For many of us, it's group therapy.

Hey Tree Machine

Who actually owns this site? And who/how is it paid for? ... you know, hosting and computer work etc.

I'm just curious how it all came about too? And how long it's been running?

Well, there you go, I finally asked (I've been a bit shy to).

It is owned by Darin and Judge Judy, two visionary folks who had an idea of how they could change the world.

They set up this forum site only a number of years ago. As it's size and complexity grew, so did the expenses. The decision had to be either get the site to pay for itself, or drive two visionary people into poverty.

The goal was not to suffer and give of themselves endlessly for the benefit of all people connected by trees. The goal was to run the vision as any good business; get it to generate income and manage it well so it can become the best it can possibly be, so our hosts spent a lot of time courting and negotiating with our current sponsors.

By creating win-wins for all involved, the originators created a 'virtual community' where climbers and saw guys and manufacturers and distributors and old veteran treeguys and total noobs can all come onto the same world platform and let it all hang out.

That's what they've GIVEN us, a cyber environment where we are all instantly and continually connected, 24-7 / 365. Free. The founders ask nothing of us except to follow a few reasonable ground rules and to enjoy and learn. Can you think of a better deal anywhere?

The Sponsors, like Sherrill, Bailey's, Master Blaster's Treehouse, they all pay to keep the hardware running, the software updated and the servers serving and the hostmasters hosting and all the costs so that it continues to be FREE to all of us.

I don't think Darin and Judy are making money off it. It's truly a labor of love, but the fact that it supports itself through sponsorships guarantees us longevity and sustainability for years to come.

Darin, Judy, you two wanna step in and say hi?

What we need now that the thread has detorated is pictures from the ex-Seal climber of his coon killin with the saw again.

You will have to pardon us. We will derail a perfectly good thread for no paticular reason around here.

Tree Machine said:
It is owned by Darin and Judge Judy,

Is that like Judge Judy off TV, the chick that gives all those idiots in the court room a good reality check?

Ahem, err ... psst, who's Darin?

DirtTroll said:
What we need now that the thread has detorated is pictures from the ex-Seal climber of his coon killin with the saw again.

You will have to pardon us. We will derail a perfectly good thread for no paticular reason around here.

shheeez didnt that ruffle a few feathers!

I don't know what Blaster's relationship this the Big Kahuna is. I think that if you play win/win, you're in. If you play me/me, you don't get a lot of support.

Latest posts

Back