Thanks Georgia Power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Ralph
http://www.arboristsite.com/member.php?u=4097
Remember when someone falsely reported his suicide and some of the members got kind of harsh and he bailed out. Same guy?
I don't remember him from this site, I had a few unpleasant face to face meetings with him in Chapel Hill NC when he was GF for Nelson Tree but it all worked out, would like to hear from him, he was an alright guy after you got to know him and he trusted you to do your job...

Hmmmmmm.

Really well thought out post. You really make some great points, and changed the way I look at keeping the lines clear.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=432579&postcount=22

Guy, My deed shows I own 1/2 the road here too. does that mean I can tell the county what they can/cannot do with the road? no. same with the utilitys. these deed easements were bought and put in place long ago (around these parts that was in the 40's.) the utility was granted the right to do whatever they deemed necessary, whenever they deem necessary. they are backed by public safety laws as well.
but hell, you already know that.
begs the question of the point of your post. we all know you detest the fact you did line clearance back in the day, and detest those who work hard to keep your lights and A/C running, and we all hate the way it looks sometimes, but......
Isn't this an oppritunity for more work? when ACRT goes thru here marking trees for trims or removal, I get swamped very quickly. do I do a better job? sure, but the homeowner is paying me to, too. those who lay around waiting on a 'freebie trim' get what they pay for, imo. you and I both know that out of 5K homes on a feeder, less than 1% actually call in to discuss the trimming cycle. most forget it until they didn't get what they thought they should have. I know in these parts, and in your area (I ran NC for Nelson on Duke energy property 1999-2002ish) the utility does as little as possible to your trees, to allow you to have the job safely completed by another contractor of your choosing. this is rarely done by the homeowners though.
Hopefully someday soon the utilities will begin charging each home for the work done on their property to clear the problems of the wrong trees planted under the lines. be a LOT of removals when folks realize the bill they will receive every 3-4 years, then we can all breathe a litle easier, and our eyes won't be so assulted. until then, sell the work, fix the trees.
I honestly dont know what else could be done. just as the county owns the road I pay taxes on, the utility essentially owns the ROW easements.
I've seen many a homeowner removed from their property by a LEO so that the trimming could be completed. I've seen trees removed, then 2 weeks later, 12' pin oak nursery stock plantings (under the line) cut down and stacked on the HO's front porch. I've also seen meters pulled until the HO allowed trimming. the utility does not owe the home the electrical service, and reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.
whinning and crying are one thing, but all the hardball cases I've seen, were resoundingly lost by the homeowners. Not to mention there are lists kept of problem customers. I assure you, these PPL are the LAST homes to have their power restored after a storm event.
so, what are you to do? the trees grow on the utility property, interfeer with electrical distribution, and are a public safety hazzard, and are trimmed away for free.
kinda seems like some folks look a gift horse in the mouth.
-Ralph

Back