That 680 Solo....!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farley9n

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well the day has finally come when I have gotten the Solo together. As soon as I got it started it went into the back of the truck and over to the big Cottonwood. I am impresseed! It was well worth the wait. Pulls a 32" bar with ease and speed. Whoever said that it wouldn't be much different from my 272xp Husky was a bit off! Doesn't have the absolute grunt of the Jonsered 111s has but a higher chain speed and lighter weight may put the Jonsered on the blocks. I want to thank all you guys that emailed me about this saw and especially the one that provided the parts. By the way, is the 680 stock muffler supposed to come with 3 outlets????.......Bob

Now I am going back to the shop and put together my "Flywheel Bomb" 500vl Echo. Guess I am "Just Saw Crazy".....

I recently put together a little 647 and was suprised by that one too. Solo makes some pretty decent saws. But, I've never run any of the bigger ones.

i have a solo 694....it seems to be very very strong. Feels very good. I think it might have a little on my 660...

WOW a 694! I'd love to try one of those. Same weight, 14 more cc and a compression release!
Got the 500vl going but not real impressed. Especially after the Solo. Runs good and has nice power but less I think than a Husky 51 that I recently put together......Bob

Farley9n said:
WOW a 694! I'd love to try one of those. Same weight, 14 more cc and a compression release!
Got the 500vl going but not real impressed. Especially after the Solo. Runs good and has nice power but less I think than a Husky 51 that I recently put together......Bob

Yeah the 694 to me is very impressive.....I think it will bust my 660 in the wood.....I like it.....if you were around here i would let you try it out;)

lovetheoutdoors said:
John why does my solo 694 not have a compression release?
This might be a question for Terry? Before the 9010 Dolmar made a 9000 series and I can't recall if they had a compression releases.What year is your 694?

It is a 2003 i think ....maybe a 04 .....I was disappointed that it had no compression release.....

did dolmar buy solo or did they just buddy up? i dont know much about either of the 2...just what i have heard.

lovetheoutdoors said:
It is a 2003 i think ....maybe a 04 .....I was disappointed that it had no compression release.....
Most of the bigger cube saw around usually have de-comp releases but It's a Dolmar thing, you can order new barrels or saws for that matter with or with out decompression releases.At least in the 64,73 and 7900 series saws.

lovetheoutdoors said:
did dolmar buy solo or did they just buddy up? i dont know much about either of the 2...just what i have heard.
No,I think it had to do with emission standards.I don't know if Solo wanted to invest in revamping the 690 to pass emissions.The 694 is the only Dolmar in Solo saw line. I have heard that Dolmar is introducing a new 90cc in 2007??

Thanks for the info....This is the easiest saw to work on from my experience. I give them 2 thumbs up on that. It is a heavy duty saw....The starter recoil is designed very good. Ill have to keep my eye out for the new solo's.

LOD
The Dolmar/Solo venture 411 might be a little shaky,not sure about some of the finer detals. Back in 2001 there where some hardcore Solo cats in here Dagger/Saw Man and Jeff Sikkema,they had answers.The Dagger would make it "right and proper".

The only Solo Chainsaw made by Dolmar is the 694 (PS-9010). The 690 was made by Solo.

The Dolmar PS-9000 was the predecessor the PS-9010. The 2 saws look identical on the outside but are different on the inside. The PS-9000 had some issues but the PS-9010 has been very reliable.

The 9000 & 9010's sold in the US did not have a Decompression Valve:(

Solo is working on a new series of saws coming in the 60-80cc range.

Steve

That Cottonwood is History

Well the Solo Cottonwood story is over. Here are a few pictures of the Cottonwood Club and the near final resting place of the tree........Bob

PS....I just couldn't resist the urge to add the 5th photo. It's one of my favorites of the family gathering pictures!

John Dolmar said:
I think the 690 was a true Solo also,but I am not for sure on that ??
As far as I know, the 690 was the same as the 680, but with a bigger bore - and a true Solo.
Power has been adverticed as higher than than for the replacement Solo 694/Dolmar 9010.

I have seen several indications that Solos power ratings has been a bit optimistic, but no real proof......:confused:

Last edited:
The muffler Question

I have never run any other Solo saws besides this 680 but it does seem to have an impressive amount of power. But then I've only got a Husky 272xp (32" skip), Echo 750 evl (36 &28" skip) and a Homelite 540 (32" skip) to use as a comparison. Perhaps this one isn't stock. It was a trade in from a logging company ( along with the 2 Jonsered 111s's) but had been little used due to an early coil failure. However it did have the carb adaptor for the intake sock and the muffler has three outlets. Both sides and top. I was hoping that someone would answer the muffler question for me; Is this they way they came stock?........Bob

Latest posts

Back