The $1000 cord....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMROD48

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had to stop into Lowes to grab a last minute gift today...

So another forum member and I ran in and decided to walk around a bit, to our suprise they had a pallet of firewood bundles near the wood pellets...this may not be new, but it is to me...

So at $5.98 for .75cuft thats $1024 a cord? PLUS TAX!....lmao!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:View attachment 213171

I recall calculating this amount a few years back for so-called gas logs sold at supermarkets. Yes, people will pay that much for a fire, even if it only takes one or two logs.

Heat is a strange commodity--priceless sometimes and worthless other times.

I recall calculating this amount a few years back for so-called gas logs sold at supermarkets. Yes, people will pay that much for a fire, even if it only takes one or two logs.

Heat is a strange commodity--priceless sometimes and worthless other times.

Right -- that wood isn't for heat, it's for ambience, when company comes over or somebody has a date. The folks who buy the packaged wood don't want to deal with it the rest of the year and a cord would rot before they got it all burned. It's the same for lots of things. A bakery that buys flour by the ton probably pays a lot less for it than I do buying 5lbs. every now and then.

Dates?

Right -- that wood isn't for heat, it's for ambience, when company comes over or somebody has a date. The folks who buy the packaged wood don't want to deal with it the rest of the year and a cord would rot before they got it all burned. It's the same for lots of things. A bakery that buys flour by the ton probably pays a lot less for it than I do buying 5lbs. every now and then.
I recall that a firewood supplier told me 30 years ago that his business was declining. He said that several of his lady customers got married earlier that year. I then told him that he may have supplied them with too much firewood during their engagements.

:hmm3grin2orange:

I recall that a firewood supplier told me 30 years ago that his business was declining. He said that several of his lady customers got married earlier that year. I then told him that he may have supplied them with too much firewood during their engagements.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Well ok then....I'm sure some will be all over that!

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Thay pay the most for the firewood. I have test the bundles at stores near me. Using a wood moesture meter, thay all test 28% and up. Most hear are not kiln dryed.

Thay pay the most for the firewood. I have test the bundles at stores near me. Using a wood moesture meter, thay all test 28% and up. Most hear are not kiln dryed.

I can see the 28% if they are plastic wrapped; otherwise in a plastic mesh they do quite well.

Funny, I was at Lowes yesterday and saw the same thing and thought to myself "wow not even enough wood to get my flue temp at an operational level:msp_confused:"

Have a guy that supplies the local Walmarts with boxed and bundled wood, I get bundles from him, 80 to a pallet and have a small spot I sit at from ~4-6 catching the traffic going home and sell the sh*$ of them at $4.00 each (and yes Im makeing good money off them) alot of them are ones who dont have the room for alot of wood, condo's, apartments etc, some are haveing a dinner party and want a fire for the atmospher(sp). Best day so far this yr. in a 2 hour period sold 56:rock:

There is a new Lowes opening not from here..
I better stop in and see if they need a wood supplier..:D
(The only problem is, everytime I go in Lowes I buy something..)

Last edited:
Up here $4-6 dollars is the wholesale price for .75 cubic foot bags of wood. Retailers turn around and sell it for $7-9.

Wal-Mart in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, just down the road from Aspen. I took this pic with my cell phone back in October. The millionairs that can not afford to live in Aspen live in Glenwood Springs. I was suprised when I found out that they even had a Wal-Mart there.

attachment.php

View attachment 214744

I manage a Meat Department for a regoinal grocer in my area. We have pallets of firewood at my store, the is mixed hardwoods from within Pennsylvania and there are also bundles of birch that are shipped in from Estonia.

Estonia!

Seriously.

It's a 1 cubic ft bundle for $7, I can't imagine the shipping costs involved. Not to mention all of the middlemen. There must be an over abundance of the stuff over there, or they must be selling it for less than a real cord is here.

I'd like to get all my firewood shipped in from Estonia, to here, shrink wrapped and bundled on a pallet.

Chris

I lmao when I see folks that are up for the ski slopes or here to see the fall foilage & pay over a dollar per piece of wood...and sometimes I see pine & hemlock shrink wrapped :laugh:

Five Logs for $5 Means...

$600 a cord. Generally, a cord of wood contains about 600 logs that you would find in a typical fireplace bundle sold at a retail store.

So, I supply about 9 logs to my bundles. That way nobody ever complains that I shorted them. Then I sell those bundles for $4 apiece, 2 bundles for $7, and 3 bundles for $10. That way nobody complains that I overcharged them. I hate complaints.

25 yrs ago I had a relative that lived in Boston.Whenever he came to visit I would fill the trunk of his Honda Prelude with wood for 20 bucks .Was only about 4 big arm loads.He said that was alot cheaper than he was paying in Boston for his wood.

Firewood price

I had to stop into Lowes to grab a last minute gift today...

So another forum member and I ran in and decided to walk around a bit, to our suprise they had a pallet of firewood bundles near the wood pellets...this may not be new, but it is to me...

So at $5.98 for .75cuft thats $1024 a cord? PLUS TAX!....lmao!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:View attachment 213171
Yes there is good money in bundle firewood. I still do it even though I have been told I am crazy. One way I do it I buy a rank for $35.00 already seasoned and split. I resplit it down to my customers size. Put it in kiln for a couple days. I get 30 bundles in a 4 x 4 frame whole sale I get $2.50 a bundle so that's $75.00 gross. Retail at $5.00 a bundle I get $150.00. Delivered at minim of 5 I get $210.00 for a 1/3 of a rank because the air spaces you get 3 30 bundles out of a rank so 3 times a 4 x 4 . As some of the wood people in this area are waiting for me to go broke. I sold bulk firewood and it like to work my tail off for $50.00 a rank delivered. In my area firewood can be got for as low as $20.00 a rank. I also bought my dump truck full for $80.00 cut split but green the load was 12x7x5 stack neat. What is nice about bundled firewood it sell year round. So why would a man want to work 8 to 10 hours a day to sell bulk and have people on the pay roll. But as they say in the wood business around here CT is not smart very. I have about
$200,000.00 worth of equipment and the firewood payed for it. Just bought a new Cat fork lift paid cash. If I sold it at a $1.00 a bundle that would be $90.00 a rank. Later

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back