The 21st Century of Budget Priced Saws: Your Tips, Tricks, and Modifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Reaction score
As we all know since the late 90s and early 2000s, budget saws have really took a turn for the worst. Not only the quality, but the way the EPA regulates them. Limiters and soon after that fixed jets have caused poor running chainsaws and fed up operators. Not to mention all the old school brands getting bought out and cheapened up to the max. I am a firm believer that $100 - $250 should get you a good saw that should last you many years but that is not the case with most budget saws these days. Poulan, McCulloch, Homelite, and many more are shunned on now (to most) due to these new regulations. What are some ways that you guys modify these saws to make them perform better, and last longer? I am not making this thread for myself , but to those who can only afford a budget saw that need a extra few years out of it.

Best way to manage on a budget is to get a good used quality saw, rather than a newer, cleaner cheap one. There are tons of first rate saws out there for $250 used, especially if you're handy enough to do a carb kit, or pop in a new piston/rings, etc.

However, if you want to get the most out of an otherwise crummy homeowner-grade saw, the usual suspects apply - open muffler and retune; keep saw clean and in good shape; keep bars short and chains sharp; run good gas/oil mix at all times; and have reasonable expectations for the saw. A low-HP 40cc saw has no business swinging an 18-20" bar, but it'll be pretty happy with a 13" bar and set up this way the operator will be happier with it, too.

Perhaps you have accurately described Stihl products, but the homeowner Poulans do not have limiter caps or fixed jet carbs (that I know of). They have strato engines and splined carb adjusters, and decent mufflers without cats. For under $200 you can get a USA made 50cc strato engined saw with a chrome bore and a metal clutch cover. People are constantly bashing these saws but I find no faults with the design of something like a PP4218AV. I hear folks bashing the cheap plastic saws and in the next breath repeat the mantra that an MS290 or a 455 is tough as nails but a little heavy. Which is it? I could make one of those run for many years and cut all my firewood with it, no problem at all. I have. And if parts are needed they are available and inexpensive.

I think posts like this are just intended to make people feel good about all the extra money they spent. These are the saws I use - well this class of saws anyway because my old ones work fine and I can't justify spending money on a new saw, even a new PP4218AV. I honestly wonder how many people have actually looked at any of these saws or have the slightest idea of how they are made - so much of what gets bantered about on AS is just old wives' tales and BS.

Last edited:
I own one of the 50cc strato saws with the hollow muffler and i have nothing but good things to say about it other than the bar it came with is to large for engine, im on the 17th tank of fuel and it seems to be getting more lose and running better every time.

the biggest problems today is people doesn't maintain their equipment, i got a poulan wild thing going on 3yrs old and i use the heck out of it but i service it regularly though keep it tuned and serviced and use it and you shouldn't have a problem.

My philosophy is any cheap saw with a sharp chain will get the job done including the el cheapo saws.

I'm of the mindset that a Poulan Pro5020 with a 16" B/C and a muff mod could cut 75 percent of any actual firewood that members here use, I also think with proper use and care it will last as long as higher dollar options.

I am glad we have so many choices to choose from, as you can see in my inventory I own a2150! I used this saw all day last sat. cutting firewood and it performed as any saw that is well maintained would! When I am thru my saws are taken down and completely cleaned throughout! Any saw to me with sharp chain and beautiful day to be out is a blessing!!:clap:

I'm of the mindset that a Poulan Pro5020 with a 16" B/C and a muff mod could cut 75 percent of any actual firewood that members here use, I also think with proper use and care it will last as long as higher dollar options.

I agree with you 100%. But don't tell anybody. It's more fun to let people think we need all these big saws. And I would be willing to bet that if you bought one of those 100 dollar saws and were as fussy about taking care of it as most people are their thousand dollar saws it would last forever.

Last edited:
I would find a good quality used saw rather than buy a new, cheap saw. I seem to find good deals on saws all the time, I don't think I am luckier than anyone else or have better pickings.

I'll echo the sentiment on the so called "cheap" saws as it pertains to most folks just cutting a little firewood. I just finished off my poor little Poulan 2150 that I bought 18 years ago for just a tad over $100. Until last March, it was the only saw I owned. Cut a ton of firewood with it, and probably took better care of it than most do. Point is, not everybody "needs" a pro saw even if they can afford it.

I bought a Hitachi to replace it with. After drilling some holes in the muffler to bypass the catalytic converter and some careful carb tuning, it runs great. I expect to get 15 years or better out of it too. The best part - it was on sale at Menards for $99! The added benefit of the "cheap" saw is they're so light I can actually use one for hours on end without the arm cramps that come with using a heavier saw.

Now I'm going out to the garage to put a new piston ring in that old Poulan and I bet I get another five years out of it.

I have "better" saws, but I don't always use them.

Not to derail but, Poulan trimmer quality is really good too, I found this out over the summer when My buddy bought a couple as backups for his lawn service, I opened up the mufflers and set the tune on them and soon his guys were finding all kinds of reasons to get them into rotation.

Not to derail but, Poulan trimmer quality is really good too, I found this out over the summer when My buddy bought a couple as backups for his lawn service, I opened up the mufflers and set the tune on them and soon his guys were finding all kinds of reasons to get them into rotation.

You'd understand if you've ever lugged around a Stihl FS91R for a couple hours.

I like to cut slots in the carb jet screws so that I don't need a variety of tools to adjust the carb, just a small flat bladed screwdriver will work on all my saws. Opening up the mufflers also helps to increase flow and let the saw run cooler. Also, I prefer to use non-ethanol fuel; it's more stable and consistent.

Bad gas and using cheap oil is the kiss of death. Use seafoam in your gas and dont let it sit. New fuel and air filters every year and a plug. Use good brand mix a make it a touch rich.

"But the best tool you can afford"-Dad

Admittedly, I am cheap. I am finishing up getting my kids through school and have a wedding to pay for this summer. I am limited on what I can spend for a tool to cut firewood and keep the property cleaned up...... but we need to be honest about these saws and not begrudge guys who want a high performer.

It is nice to use a good tool for the job, even when a bargain tool will get it done. I cut all day today. I used my 4620 I ported and a muffler mod with an 18" bar of .325. I used my 3400 that has a muffler mod and a 20" bar of 3/8. They cut well, and they worked. I could have got the job done with them. However, I also used my buddy's 346 xp and it was a dream. Melted through big. cherry and walnut.

Most of my fun is working on the saw, trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. It keeps me occupied and within budget......but there is a difference that is too big to dismiss. A Poulan 50/20 is just not as satisfiying to run as an MS361. Would you rather use a Milwaulkee cordless or a Black and Decker. They both get the deck built.

All I own is relative crap......and I am happy with it. But when finances allow, I am going to try a pro tool for the fun and efficiency of using it......not just to brag I have one. If guys want to spend the money on a good saw, no need to dog them. It really is a relatively cheap hobby compared to others......if you can stop at one good saw.:msp_rolleyes:

I think the biggest reason many budget saws have problems is from poor tuning from the factory and inability of retail outlets to do anything about it. Trying to get a leaned out saw to do any work is a death sentence to that saw.

Most inexpensive saws available today, properly tuned, and run with fresh fuel should provide a homeowner with many years of service IMHO. A pro saw treated the same way would probably last a lifetime.

Budget is another interesting concept. Let's look at the 600 series Macs sold during the mid to late '80s. If I'm not mistaken they sold for around $200. That's probably like $6-800 in today's dollars. I don't think you could get any kind of saw around that time for less than $100. Less than $200 today can buy you a pro designed (split case bolt on cylinder) albeit Chinese origin chainsaw.

Unless you are looking at it from a $/# perspective I think the budget saws of today are doing just fine. Modern manufacturing efficiency has driven the cost and arguably the quality of goods down, but I still think you're getting what you pay for. Honestly it's amazing to me that you can buy anything for $200 today that cost $200 20 years ago.

I bought a Craftsman saw a few years ago while on a road trip because I had the unexpected opportunity to get a big desert ironwood. The log had to be cut to lengths. It was roughly 24" diameter and of course very, very hard. Been laying on the ground for an unknown period. That little saw right out of the box cut the ironwood with ease, dulling the chain after a few buck cuts, but for $200 I got several thousand dollars worth of log. The saw is still running great. I loaned it out to a friend shortly after for firewood & he brought it back a few weeks ago running like a top. I was surprised. It was an expendable tool meant for one job, but simply refuses to die. I'll keep it around for loaners.

For the original question, I muff modded my 390. Made what seems to be a 100% difference. The 029 would actually outcut & outpower the 390 before the mod, but now the 390 cuts like the 64cc saw that it is. I would never have guessed it could make that much difference but it does. Otherwise, a very sharp chain with proper grind, plus plenty of oil on the chain makes all the difference in the world. Aside from speed, big power is good for forcing a dull or dry chain. Sharp well oiled chains don't need huge power, IMO, unless you are cutting something gigantic. For that I have the 084 :rock: In my experience with all facets of woodworking, you can substitute a lot of power with sharp blades & low friction.

Just really depends on what you are doing, and what you will be happy with O.P= job at hand. If i was cutting branches around the yard, or even cutting firewwod Im sure I could be happy with a 029. But for what I cut on average, and the demanding application, as with many others. We don't have a choice right tool for the job. As for the addiction like mentioned above buy one or numbers may depend on you. That is true in alot of cases, because many of us buy more by choice. For me I only buy pro, and even then Im selective. I shop wisely, buy used and know what I want.

Back