The 460 came in today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I recieved my Stihl Ms460 today, complete with a full wrap and some good sized dawgs. (Not the biggest its seen :laugh: ) So, I promptly slapped the 24" Oregon power match bar on it and the LGX chain and attacked some wood.

There really isn't anything I have that will slow this thing down with the 24" bar. It ran it like no tomorrow cutting noodles, bucking, didn't matter. It ate right through the wood, awesome :yoyo:

Im still fine tuning the carb on it, it was extremely rich, but I imagine 5,800 feet of elevation change will do that to a saw. I tried to slap my tach on it, but wouldn't give me a decent reading. Im about half paranoid Im going to lean it out too much... but I was that way with my 353 and it was 2,000 under max rpm.

As for the LGX chain, it cut awesome, and made some large chips. In the Russian Olive and Cotton wood the chips were big and flying fast. I might have to play with some 20" loops on my 361 to compare it to my loops of Stihl chain.

All in all, I had a fun, but short day out cutting up wood. I believe that my saw collection is functionally complete. While Im sure I could always use another saw:ices_rofl: I have a good set to get all my firewood and tree clean up needs met.

Whoops, forgot about that...

Is the 460 a fairly thirsty saw?

It seems to drink it down compared to my 361... my experience is limited so Im not all sure what to expect.

How critical is the plug for the winter/summer intake ports?

I just noticed both were open, so I plugged the winter one, drawing air off the cylinder.

nice

Nice choice, she will do you well. I love mine too. I gotta warn ya, that feel of power is addicting. You can always use another saw.:laugh: :biggrinbounce2: Especially when you are cutting everyday. And yes, I make sure where my shutter is. If it is only in the 30's it don't matter, any colder than that you should switch it.;)

Carb adjustment

And yes, I make sure where my shutter is. If it is only in the 30's it don't matter, any colder than that you should switch it.;)

I'm wayyyyy north of most in here, or at least quite a bit colder lately. Today was only about +8 here, the past few times I've been cutting it's been 0 or below. I've been using my 044 and haven't changed a thing on it, today I adjusted the carb to run a little richer though. Seems like when its colder it leans out, as with all my saws. Anyone else have to adjust when it gets cold??? My 7900 hasn't needed to be adjusted at all yet, it seems to run the same, cold or warm... :rock: :popcorn: :confused:

That will work for ya

Yes, the 460 is fairly thirsty as saws go. It takes fuel to make power.
Last summer I made just about 14 cuts in a 24 inch pondo on 1 tank of gas. This included dropping the mutha. :chainsaw:

Excellent choice!:clap:

-Pat

Blasphemy!

I believe that my saw collection is functionally complete. While Im sure I could always use another saw:ices_rofl: I have a good set to get all my firewood and tree clean up needs met.

Maybe 'bookend' that collection with a MS192 Twig Boss and a MS 880, ya know, just in case those Colorado Giant Sequoias (Sequoiadendron Giganteum Coloradis) sprout up in your woodlot. They may be rare and elusive, but they be some sneaky bastids... Grow two hundred feet tall overnight, trunks as big as boxcars, I swear.

Glad to hear you are digging the 460...

Last edited:
Back