the 5 day work week, what a concept...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol I think people who like the sun coming out should work here in 99%humidity&105 degree heat to fully absorb the thing they wish for!

No thank you. That's why I live here. We Ginger People need cloudy weather. It makes us like that occasional sunny day, even though we have to use spf megadose. When I lived on the Oregon coast, people I worked with would take days off when the sun was out. It wasn't just for basking, but dry days were needed to do maintenance on houses. Houses get pretty beat up there from the salt and wind. It is a constant battle to keep them moisture proof.

The Thorne Bay guys told of a Summer when the sun came out once. :eek:

The Thorne Bay guys told of a Summer when the sun came out once. :eek:

I believe it. When you live and work in a climate like that you really do start feeling like a "mossback"...it is just everyday life being wet(thank god for wool shirts and tin pants). Actually it gets kinda miserable around there when it does not rain for a couple of weeks

Operations were going full bore today. We got snowed on, sunned on, rained on--typical May weather for here.

I went to choker unhooking school today. I learned to hold onto it while unhooking because you can get your nose broken, or teeth broken, or if hungover and wearing a metal hardhat, can feel unpleasant after it hits you on your head. They have a tendency to spronggggg.

I was wearing my plastic hat and was not hungover. :)

The last log of the last unit of the timber sale came up the hill today.:clap::clap::clap:

But you forget. It is time for the work that all loggers love to do. The cleanup work! This emoticon kind of represents what it takes to get that done. :deadhorse:

:cheers:

Guess that is one of the reasons I was a faller and not a logger :) I liked walking away lookin up on the mountain at a big strip I just got done cutting...Knowing that I was done with that strip and longing for my next one...as long as it was not junk!

Last edited:
Must be an east coast thing. UP here we work in any weather (rain/snow/hot/humid/cold) except lightning for the most part. Sometimes we do take time off when there is 50-60mph winds though.

I didn't even know you could run a saw in the rain until a few years ago. ha. ha.

I slide around in the mud from March through May most years then mud in October through December again until it freezes solid. This year its been pretty dry until last week when we finally got our March weather. The summer is usually a dust bowl. Hard on the intakes and radiators.

Sawing in the rain is nice and cool. That is till the hail comes and pounds you into the ground. Do not ask how I know this or why quarter sized hail hitting your saw helmet makes alot of noise! LOL Ahhh, the joying of cutting way up in the mountains! :monkey:

Last edited:
Guess that is one of the reasons I was a faller and not a logger :) I liked walking away lookin up on the mountain at a big strip I just got done cutting...Knowing that I was done with that strip and longing for my next one...as long as it was not junk!

You got that right brother! Do it once, do it right, get the hell out and mow down the next stand. :biggrinbounce2:

i hear you there mike,i dont think the stuff i got caught in was quite quarter size,but all nickel for sure!i had a chevy shortbed at the time with no headliner in the cab,and on the full throttle run just to make it out of the woods,my falling partner and i could litterally yell at each other in the cab and not be able to hear one another...not to mention the lightning that accompanied it!gotta love those new mexico thunderheads

i hear you there mike,i dont think the stuff i got caught in was quite quarter size,but all nickel for sure!i had a chevy shortbed at the time with no headliner in the cab,and on the full throttle run just to make it out of the woods,my falling partner and i could litterally yell at each other in the cab and not be able to hear one another...not to mention the lightning that accompanied it!gotta love those new mexico thunderheads

Got to love NM's crazy weather! Hot and dry one moment. Next thing you know it is monson rain or hail! Don't like the weather here in NM, wait 5 minutes. And it will change in yaa! HAAAAA!!

How is life down south? Hot and dry right now here... .Okay farking hot!

Okay, anything over 60 degree's is too hot for me! LOL

it was a really good winter for us down here,i think someone said 135"of snow?i put about a thousand miles on my sled this year,the riding was awesome,didnt have to worry about stumps or rocks at all,just bounce off all of it! we just had our last snow a month ago or so,but now it is warm,probably 80 in the mountains,supposed to be 108 on sunday in old el paso,i was installing r panel all day on the mountain,and man my feet were cooking!just broke in my new 660,and im ready to start cutting firewood for next winter,somehow i have a feeling there is not going to be much of a summer this year:)

it was a really good winter for us down here,i think someone said 135"of snow?i put about a thousand miles on my sled this year,the riding was awesome,didnt have to worry about stumps or rocks at all,just bounce off all of it! we just had our last snow a month ago or so,but now it is warm,probably 80 in the mountains,supposed to be 108 on sunday in old el paso,i was installing r panel all day on the mountain,and man my feet were cooking!just broke in my new 660,and im ready to start cutting firewood for next winter,somehow i have a feeling there is not going to be much of a summer this year:)

I am the same boat for firewood. I really need to get started with it, but the heat and me. Do not get along very well! Looks like get up at 400am and cutting by 545'ish. And being loaded by 930-1000am before it really gets hot. That's about 3/4 of cord of wood that we cut per trip. Ive got a new husky 346xp-ne to break in myself! We also had are last snow last month too! It came just as my cherry trees where budding! But at least my apple and crab apple tree came out okay. Got to love living in the mountains! I couldn't do the low lander thing anymore but for warshington state!

Mike

Last edited:
I am the same boat for firewood. I really need to get started with it, but the heat and me. Do not get along very well! Looks like get up at 400am and cutting by 545'ish. And being loaded by 930-1000am before it really gets hot. That's about 3/4 of cord of wood that we cut per trip. Ive got a new husky 346xp-ne to break in myself! We also had are last snow last month too! It came just as my cherry trees where budding! But at least my apple and crab apple tree came out okay. Got to love living in the mountains! I couldn't do the low lander thing anymore but for warshington state!

Mike

hate your cherry tree got bit,but one out of three aint bad in this climate,if you are getting that much wood out by ten id say you are doing good!we have a moving job in the flats to do tomorrow,plan to be in the desert by 630 and moving by 7,i wanted to start earlier,but not possible apparently...supposed to be every bit of 104 tomorrow...by noon im gonna be full hrottle headed back for the hill... warshington almost might sound good by that time

Mostly cloudy, a mild 56, rain is sitting off the coast. The plantlife is going crazy, except for anything I plant, they aren't happy, lots of bugs and slimy things.

Latest posts

Back