The 51" Felling Lever Really Works, Check It Out...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score

I've dropped may trees in my life and always used traditional methods such as wedges and/or ropes to ensure they go the correct way. I just tested out the Ochsenkopf Felling Lifter for the first time, as seen in this video. I'm sold on the 51" model. I wouldn't go any shorter. Please check out the video I attached and you will see how well it works. Please comment. Thanks!

Those are interesting. Not for big trees but for the size you have there in the vid it is OK.

Funny guy, "if it doesn't work, follow up on how to repair a wooden fence" LOL.

A general Grumble about misuse an lack of apparent safety gear. A screen on a hardhat is designed to be kept down during the cut, luckily he appears to have glasses on underneath. Of more importance, no chaps and by the looks of it those jeans don have kevalr inserts

My question is this: This appears to work well for neutrally balanced trees, but how often do you find one of those... Wouldn't want to try on a tree with a back lean unless wedges were already installed and it wouldnt be necessary for something with a positive lean.

As Zale noted not a replacement for standard techniques. I like the dual function as a log roller/timberjack. If I needed a new timberjack I would look at this to have the lever for just in case scenarios.

The guy sure cuts a massively large notch into those trees. Also I personally would have pulled down on the lever once inserted rather than lifting up.

I don't know many loggers or arborists who wear Underarmor golf visors on the job....am I missing a fashion trend here? ;)

I have a long felling lever , it's another tool in the tool bag .
It comes with me on every tree outing even though it my not be used at all .
Here's a couple of examples of it's use and yes there are more than one way or tool to accomplish the same end result .

I've used mine to tip over some 24" spruce trees with no issues , got my bar out from a jam and have used it many times to tip smaller leaners the opposite way .

YMMV

A general Grumble about misuse an lack of apparent safety gear. A screen on a hardhat is designed to be kept down during the cut, luckily he appears to have glasses on underneath. Of more importance, no chaps and by the looks of it those jeans don have kevalr inserts
Glad you pointed that out, I brought along my Labonville Kevlar Chaps for the video and realized right after the filming of the video that I forgot to put them on. If I had more trees to cut, I would've wore them and re-filmed the video. Safety first. I'll be sure to wear them next time. Thanks again for reminder!

Reasons for pushing up instead of pulling down:
- More push strength than pull down, especially for lighter people. If your are taking loose the lug nuts to change a tire, if you kneel & pull up on the lug wrench, you have better control of the lug wrench as well as having the ground to push against.
- Again you have better control as you are always in contact with the ground.
- Better balance / body positioning which will allow you a quicker escape.

Those are good points Oliver1655, My first thought was that felling levers were made to be pushed down to drop a tree. After doing a Google search, everything I found showed to push up on the lever. Thanks for pointing out the reasons. I was surprised how little effort it took to drop the tree. The first tree in the video actually leans the opposite way that I dropped it. Glad to have the tool when dropping it near a busy road.

Reasons for pushing up instead of pulling down:
- More push strength than pull down, especially for lighter people. If your are taking loose the lug nuts to change a tire, if you kneel & pull up on the lug wrench, you have better control of the lug wrench as well as having the ground to push against.
- Again you have better control as you are always in contact with the ground.
- Better balance / body positioning which will allow you a quicker escape.

Seems like a bad place to be if the butt of that tree decides to kick off the stump when you're right there prying it over.

Once the tree start tipping, your are moving away from the tree. An advantage of standing while prying, your are ready to evacuate.

Looks like a dangerous place to be on a back leaner or rotten tree or windy day.
Not much time or room to depart a bad tree day.
The same sort of bar system on a rope away from the tree seems much safer.

Back