The Art and Science of Moving Brush

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is towable, and comes with a pintle hookup. I am thinking more along the line of towing it with a lawn tractor. I'll bet you could stack the entire crown of a tree on in one load and 'drive' it out. Puts an entirely new spin on dragging quantity brush out of back yards.

It is called the 'Gate Arch' because it is designed to move logs, chunked wood or brush,
en masse with less physical energy, low impactness to property... , basically less trips back and forth, but through a standard-width gate

I have yet to REALLY put this thing to the test, like a 3 or 4 meter high pile of brush chokered down.

We learned a cool technique on day one. Wheel the huge pile of brush off to one side of the infeed chute, remove the inner side rails, tip the arch over and pull it out sideways. That puts all the brush right in front of the infeed chute and frees up the Gate Arch to head back to the zone.

When the second load is wheeled up behind the first load, then it's time to fire up the chipper.

Last edited:
TM,

Your brush mover is exactly what I had in my mind to build ( some day) It was good to see a picture of it, with a few extras I hadn't thought of. It took me two years to get around to fabricating our log dolly, this project will probaly take me five years to finish. :D

Larry

Inspired by this thread picked up a gate arch. Turned what would have been 10 drags into 1 on the first job. 10 drags would have trashed the customers rain saturated lawn. It attaches to a pivoting receiver hitch on my chuck n duck for one man loading.

hey ORclimber, whats the name of your outfit? your truck and neighborhood look familiar. just trying to put a name w/a face. maybe make a few more connections...

handling brush is as key to a job as the skills of whomever is doing the cutting/climbing. it can make you look bad on a good day if the. or good on a bad day...

it is difficult for a climber to look better than the guy on the ground. if you have a guy kicking a$$ on the ground it is easier to focus on what has to be done in the tree.

netree said:
According to who?

I'll vote for him too, watching the little [strike]old[/strike] guy shimmy up a stem to recrotch made me tired.

I can still hear him kvetch about me taking too long setting a third line on a job...I had one in tree two, Oxmans up in tree one and the third line for me to go up tree one to help Ox in tree one was taking me 20 min...then he said he would have had to had spikes on to get where i went :)

Hey Guy, do you need any help with the crown restorations? I broke my foot a week ago but may be ready to climb in February.

I help my brother when he works for a tree service and the groundies that work for his company are in there 40s and they like to stack brush on a tarp about an 8' by 8'. Then they have about a 3' rope with a beaner on the end of it, and they clip into a gramet hole and then they drag it to the chipper. But I dont know if you wanna go through the hassel of carring tarps around and buying them every few months.

little &lt;s&gt;old&lt;/s&gt; guy = little <s>old</s> guy, but only in the forums here that allow HTML code

I enjoy mine.

GICON said:
How come no ones mentioned Chippers with Winches?

Check it out.

If you bundle the end of a loaded tarp, and put a choker on ot, you can skid the entire tarp right up to the mouth of the chipper. Most excellent.

glens said:
little &lt;s&gt;old&lt;/s&gt; guy = little <s>old</s> guy, but only in the forums here that allow HTML code

Thanks Glenn,

I tried the vB code with the /s and it was not recognized, so i tried one more thing and skipped it.

I'd be careful weighting the tail of that chipper.... though the weight is close to the axle, so it will probably not be a problem.... you'll know the tail is too heavy the first time that chipper starts fishtailing...... not pretty... happenned to me once with a can of rakings....

Murphy, The 4500lb chipper is doing fine with the extra couple hundred pounds. I plan on adding an alpine magnum to the other side to balance things out :p . Nice to know you care :angel:

ORclimber, whats your name for if i call. pm me if you like. im (kinda) lookin for work if you have any need for an extra climber... have been trying self-employment, but it aint easy :cry: can show you some pics if you like -jason

Another use for a winch on the chipper is for repositioning in tight spaces. I've seen a guy use his to pull the chipper sideways instead of jockying the truck around.

Latest posts

Back