the baddest saw ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my saws!
:computer: Yeah you've guys posted some damn cool saws but none of them has helped put food on my table.

S41S,

Buick is always credited with having the first example of this engine. Pontiac also used the Buick version. Olds had their own version with a different cylinder head. Later, GM sold the rights to Rover and Rover used this design for over 40 years.

Joat

Ya, the difference in the Olds version was the heads, they had an extra head bolt per cylinder, giving it extra clamping power. They were available with 2bbl and 4bbl heads, they had different size combustion chambers.

MG-A never had the 215 in it, but I know somebody who built one.

I can imagine somebody doing it to an Opel.

Ya, MGA never came with one, the MG-B did in Europe, never came to North America. Lets not forget the last British Sports car that came with the Rover V8 the Triumph TR8, was a great car, ahead of its time actually, I think a little to far ahead for its time. I had a Tr7 I converted to V8 with the Rover V8, I built it up with high compression pistons, was 11:1 compression, big cam, ported heads 4bbl carb, along with many other mods. Went like hell, raced it some too. My friend put on in a MGB that he stroked to 4.6L, he also built a 5.0L version, it had to be bored way out and bigger cylinder liners put in, and a stroker crank, some serious muscle for a little car, that one was going in a TVR.

Baddest saw? 090 of whatever variant. I've never run a Mac 125, but they look pretty bad as well.

Yeah you've guys posted some damn cool saws but none of them has helped put food on my table.

My vote in this category would be an 046 with an 18" bar and an 8 or 9 pin sprocket. Just screams though wood and easy to carry.

On Buick V8s - I have a late one in my Land-Rover. It didn't leave the factory like that, and it still has the "Tdi" (diesel) stickers on the body work. Open the bonnet and there's 4.6 litres of V8 goodness. It's good for about 115 mph, which is very scary in a Land-Rover....:laugh::laugh:

sorry to highjack thread,
but think i found a solo rex that runs.... was wondering how much they would be worth and cant find a decent video of one, was wondering how big a bar they can really pull...even as big as they are, they were made in 58'???...so seems they wouldn't have as much power as today'ssaws??? was hoping for first hand experience......

Ask Rick H, I think his dad used to race Rex's in the old days. With 1/2" square chain and rakers filed to bikesaw specs (.100), they must have had tons of torque.

Ask Rick H, I think his dad used to race Rex's in the old days. With 1/2" square chain and rakers filed to bikesaw specs (.100), they must have had tons of torque.

Yep, I owned that Super Rex for 2 days
then it went back to Rick H.
Need i say more.

Lee

my 35cc Dolmar 3410 top handle saw is so bad, it's attached to a bungee leash

now that's bad a$$:chainsawguy:

Growing up my father had a 1970 Opal with that transplanted V-8. Great runner, needed alot of attention.

Strangely, he sold it shortly before I turned 16...

haha funny my dad had a 1970 buick gs with a 455 . he also sold it when I turned 16 .
I havnt run alot of big saws so I dont have much to compare but my Husky 2100 can plow thru some big wood with out hesitation
gotta love the low end torque
MD

I used to own a 73 europa, it was a blast to drive. They also burn very very fast.
I currently have a 73 boattail with a slightly modded 455 in it.
The lotus was about as long as the hood of the buick and about a foot taller, and a ton and a half lighter.

biggest cc saw i have run is a pioneer 620 super. I would take a mac 125 over a 090.

senior year in high school 1980 we spent many sat night cruising in my buddies 73 boat tail Riv with the 455 . all around cool car . great looks and huge balls under the hood
Mick

My dad bought the riv new. i only drove it a few times in high school (1989). Many years later, the engine blew, my dad said if i wanted it,take it. In went a built 455 and a 342 posi rear.

I've got a sp125c and I've seen a 090 something or other run, I thought the 090 sounded like it was pulling a logging truck up hill, my 125 is like the baddest 1970's dirt bike getting unwound down the straights. Both great muscle saws and I wish I owned an 090 of any sorts. They both will teach chainsaw safety at lightning speed.

Well since I started this thread I have aquired a very well used 088 magnum that runs like a top. I'm going to have to throw in the 088 or mine may not like me and that could be hard on a man.:cheers:

I don't understand the Buick thing myself either.

My brother's ported 066 is a handful, more saw than I care to use on a daily basis. My vote stock would be a 3120XP.

Scott

Back