The Basics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Other than the harness and helmet what basic necessities should I be looking at purchasing for my climbing needs?
Rope 150ft or more, which type?
Caribiners, how many and what type?
Throwing line, throw bag, what`s best?
Figure 8, which one?
Pre made prusiks?
Ascender and or descender, yes or no?
Friction saver, yes or no?
Am I missing anything here?
I`ll probably call one of the companies and place an order for everything at once.
I have a couple of books on the way now and have been practising my knots.
I won`t be doing any tree work other than recreational climbing at least until I can get some formal training.

ROPE--150ft works great for all trees.16-strand is popular
BINERS-At least two Double-Autolock biners.These meet ANSI standards for life support.The Captive-Eye biners are nice.Go with aluminum.And a few extra for rigging.I like Omega Pacific biners.
THROW BAGS & THROW LINE--read the post on throwballs a few posts down in this forum.Staw away from the slick-line,I hear it is junk.
FIGURE 8--A small one.
ASCENDERS-I like the Petzl brand jumars plus ascender stapes.
DESCENDER-Use the figure 8
FRICTION SAVER--Yes
PUSIK-- if you footlock yes,study it well!!!

*ROPE BAG
*THROWLINE BAG
*SAFTEY LANYARD(buckstrap)
*A FEW LOOP RUNNERS
*Learn the bowline,running bowline,double-fisherman's knot,and the blake's hitch.

What ya think fellas?

I think Sherrill sells a climbing bag with all the basics. Been a long time, but I believe they could help. When I worked for a local municipality, we had to put together 'rescue bags' with all the gear needed for a man to climb and perform an arial rescue. It was a shame seeing all that brand new equipment never being used, getting moldy in duffel bags. We had to set out the bag on every jobsite, even if the groundman didn't have a clue on how to use it!
Can't tell you about all the 'biners. My gear consists of a basic saddle, 2 adjustable rope lanyards, 2 lifelines (120' and 80'), 2 locking clips, and gaffs. I also have 2 handlines and a bullrope, lowering block, cambium savers, throw bag, and a couple other items accumulated over the years.

I've always used the K.I.S.S method...... if I can't climb with nothing but a saddle, rope and lanyard then I don't need to be climbing. All the toys are nice, but they should be considered as luxuries. Learn how to use the basics first, then expand into all the extra stuff.

Last edited:
All I use most days as my basic kit is harness, lifeline, 30m 16 braid, adjustible lanyard,3m, 4 biners, with a blakes hitch/split tail on my main lifeline, and a short prussik loop on my lanyard. As far as premade prussik, I don`t see the point, when you can buy nice 8-10mm prussik line and tie it with 2 double fishermans loops for a lot cheaper than premade, and you can experiment with the best sized loop for you. Cambium savers are a great idea such as false crotches, not only do they reduce wear on the tree and ropes, they help reduce fatigue while climbing, as the reduced friction at your anchor point makes pulling yourself around the tree at lot easier.

I like using a pulley attached to a Loop Runner placed high as I can get it.I can only use this set-up on large take downs because it requires climbing to the top of the tree for set up.I haven't figured out a way to get it in the tree from the ground yet and I don't think I ever will.It has it's place for the RIGHT climb only.But,talk about effortless!

I just got in from work and I`m very happy to see all the responses, I`ll print this out and study what`s written here and this will give me a good start.
My books arrived today so I`ll get into them and get educated in learning the ropes!
Thanks for taking the time to list the stuff it`s a big help and very much appreciated.

I would keep it simple as said earlier. Saddle, Climbing rope 150 ft. ?Thats alot of rope. Or should I say a large tree. Rope depends on how tall your trees are that you will be doing. I hang out a this climbing equip. shop & there most popular size is 60 to 80 ft. lenghts.& as far as all the gatgets, biners, assenders & such.
Just learn to trust your rope first. As in the monkey fist knot.You will save boatloads of $ untill you realy know what you want. & again its just my oppinion.

Rope length is double the highest tie in point, so for a 150 hank you need to be working at a 75ft t.i.p. I started out on a 60 moved to a 90 and now do most on eithr a 60 or 120 hank.

For starters one should adhere to the KISS principle. Climb on a rope without a splitail, have two fliplines, a few biners and that is it. I prefer a locking clip to a 'biner for working end atachment.

If you intend to footlock, get ascenders and forgo the prusick cord. They ar much safer and easier to use. A single ascender can be used to assist a body thrust.

Have a few biners and maybe a couple quick links, Some webbing for redirects and foot anchors on long stems without a place to stand. You can use a 'biner on a Munter hitch for decending, I've always had problems with 8's.

Friction savers are kind to you and the tree as others have said, the handbook has a good method for installing it from the ground.

Throwline and a 16 oz ball, the line should match or slightly exceed your rope length.

Rope
saddle
Flipline (s)
6 'biners
2 safety clips
2 web slings
throw bag
throw ball
rope bag
throwline bag
safety glasses
handsaw w/ scabbard
prunners
And a large duffelto put it all in

Should be around $650 US

Come down to the TCI if just for the trade show, you can talk to people and get a better idea.

WAA is having a small field day on the 13th in Madison WI. Come down for that. Tom D. will be there too. I think there will be a climbing clinic, not sure though.

Thanks, now where can I get one of those white cowboy hats you guys wear in the trees?

hurts.gif

sorry about that but I couldn`t resist!

One of the books I`m reading is "The Tree Climber`s Companion" and it`s loaded with good stuff.

Be Careful Dude

Kevin, I don't know the history on your interest in climbing, but I seriously urge you to get some good hands-on instruction from an experience individual. Climbing is a lot of fun and a super way to make a living....but is also a quick way to get dusted if you don't know what you're doing. 16 years ago when I first started climbing, I was inquring about gear at a local shop and when the salesperson asked me what I was going to be doing, I told them "just a little climbing..nothing serious" . They immediately got this serious look on their face and said very sternly "You listen to me BOY! be it a little climbin' or a lotta climbin", it's ALL serious! and it can ALL kill you unless you respect it." Just my two cents worth my friend. Be SAFE..second chances are rare in this biz. If you think for one second that falling out of a tree is something you can probably handle.....go climb up a 8 foot step ladder - fall off backward and see how long it takes you to muster up the stuff to do it a second time.:D

treerex,
Good advice, thanks.
I`ve been climbing on spurs as a lineman for twentyseven years, safety is first and foremost in my mind.
My intent for tree climbing is mostly for recreation and fitness.
I recently discovered a group from southern Ontario that certifies climbers, I`ve talked to their co-ordinator by phone and hope to sit in on a class just as soon as they hit this area.
In all my years of climbing I`ve only cut out once from a pole that was glazed with ice, it takes the sleep out of your eyes quick!
It makes me shudder to see people telling other people over the internet to fabricate climbing harnesses from old seat belts, yikes!
Safety and knowledge first, that`s why I`m here to learn from the best in the business. ;)

Maybe a good start, but you'ld learn mor by comming to the TCI expo.

The one I saw was a hack company that looked mor like it was trolling for cheap labor.

JP,
I was thinking about that but I have this impression I`d be better off to get the basics, start into climbing and get familiar with the equipment then taking in the Expo next year with a better understanding of what I`m doing.
If I hit the Expo this year I have a feeling it will be overwhelming and I`ll forget half the stuff I get to see in such a short time.
I`m still undecided at this time.
Do you know if there will be classes for climbing certification at the Expo?

Who cares about the half that you will forget, think about the half that you will LEARN! :angel: I've always wanted to attend an annual Expo, just never made it.

I have no idea what you will learn at the class by the utility company, but I assure you you will get the basics from any of us you meet at the show. then there are the lectures and such.

If you have not bought much gear, you will be able to try on a number of saddles and such.

Back