The best biner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know that we have done thiws before, but what do you all think the best choice is for the link from your saddle to your Gibbs, or Petzel acender attached to your lanyard?

Not a biner in either case

I think one of the best links to use for connecting the adjuster to you lanyard is a stainless steel screw link. The twisted link is really popular.

I bought a delta link to eliminate the side d-rings on my Butterfly. Now I can connect directly to the saddle without a seperate link. Nice and tidy!

Girth hitching your sling to the handled ascender eliminates one piece of equipment. The fewer links, the safer the system. Girth hitch a locker to the other end and you have a simple system.

What do you use as a second attachment or backup to the handled ascender?

Tom

Rocky, you are right. I need to stream line my entire system.
To answer all questions I don't use a second. Unless I misunderstood the question.

I'm looking to know the best caribiner that links your lanyard to the saddle. right now I have an old, somewhat oxidized locking caribiner. That is my life link until I can tie in. Than, I just use a blake on my climbing line. Sometimes I can not tie in until I reach the canopy. No sling shots or big shots.(I am speaking of takedowns above.) On pruning, I body thrust the Blake with no lanyard until I can be in a more verticle position.

For my lanyard attachments I prefer a double locking Aluminium snap. I like 'biners but not for that application. Eagle you really need to try a tress cord and advanced hitch along with some easier techniques. As Tom said-if you use a mechanical rope grab then a screwlink is ideal. Like Brian I use a friction hitch on my lanyard- light, simple and cheap.:)

You are all correct. I learned to climb from an old schooler. Even the micro grab was a new twist for his lanyard last year. I am so busy that I don't seem to have the time to learn the new techs. When I mean busy I mean in all aspects of day to day.
I have been tring to get start on the new age of friction hitches and all that. I have severe tendonatius in my left elbow. At the end of a good tree day I have to eat 6 Advil. I think if I got an easier system I could eliminate some pain!!??

Originally posted by Eagle1
I have severe tendonatius in my left elbow.

When I feel that pain I put a TIGHT wrap 3/4 up my forearm. Somehow that holds everything together better and the pain diminishes.

Advils good, too. :)

Re: Not a biner in either case

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap

I bought a delta link to eliminate the side d-rings on my Butterfly. Now I can connect directly to the saddle without a seperate link. Nice and tidy!

Tom,
I don't remember what a butterfly looks live very well, but how did you get the side D's off? Sounds like a great Idea.

I've been using a petzl auto lock biner to connect my hitch or rope grab to my side D.

-Mike-

Im pretty sure that Tom cut off the d's with a hacksaw, grinder or similiar then threw them in the garbage.
Another way to reduce bulk in your lanyard attachment would be to tie your tress cord directly to the d, then run tail thru d for self tending, of coarse the one drawback, you cannot remove it from your d without untying both fishers from the tress. I have used this setup more than once, there also seems to be less slop in the system because it is much closer to the d , plus you dont have to look to find the tail for tending... just grab rope exiting from backside of d ring.
any thoughts?

The picture is a previous version. In the pic I have both Postitioners mounted on a square Maillon Rapide link. The side d-ring is wired back because I wasn't sure that I wanted to use this setup. After working for a while and then replacing the square MR with deltas, one on each hip, I've found a nice setup.

If I climb tomorrow, I'll get pics of the new setup.

I used my angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to get rid of the original side d's. John's right, into the scrap steel bin :)

Tom

Brian,

do you tie the double fisherman's from the vt on your lanyard directly to the side D on your saddle, or to a carabiner that you clip to the side D?

Man, I can't believe you go up a tree with all that stuff on.

attachment.php

All what "stuff"?

A first aid kit, daisy chain, sling and lanyard.

At 49, I'm healthier and a better climber than I was at 39. It comes from using modern gear...and my brain, instead of my muscles to climb.

If you would have been at TCI last year you might have heard the talk I did on traditional versus progressive climbers. Lots of differences. I'll bet that progressive climbers will be healthier for a lot longer than trad climbers. And, be able to enjoy retirement without having to have Vitamin I for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I can afford to carry those few ounces of gear on the leftt side because the right side doesn't have a chainsaw hanging from it ALL of the time :)

Are you going to be at TCI this year?

Tom

PS Vitamin I is ibuprofen for all of you with swollen muscles from body thrusting instead of footlocking :)

Delta's

Nice move with the delta's (maline rapide)Tom.I cut the sliding D's of my old BGHm Traverse and replaced it with a Delta. Its a bit hard to apply the 'Grinder' cause there aint no going back after...so the D's were tied of to the side for a little while. I use a friction hitch lanyard attached with a quick link (large tear drop) and a petzl Williams biner for the 'snap' end. My other two lifeline biners are Williams too...consistency.
Keep ironing out the bugs in the Butterfly.

I asked because I was thinking you were using the DEDA attached to both sides of your saddle, which would mean you have a positioner on each link already. Does that get crowded?

I also wonder if you ever considered getting rid of the eye and eye tether, on the positioner, to further simplify the system.

Did you say you used a triangular delta link to replace the d ring?

I have to agree that it seems like a bit much hanging your saddle there Tom. I have about everything a guy could want in his bag but rarely do I break them all out. I'll agree that at 30 now I am in better shape then I was when I was 20. I don't have all the energy that came from having to prove something every day. My over all strength, balance and ability is far above what I had then. Right I am climbing in one of Austrian saddles and I must say I hate it and its uncomfortable but I get the job done everyday and quickly. I sold my butterfly to Murphy after he chipped the other saddle I sold him. The butterfly I had a tad too big for me any ways. I had the medium large to find out that a small medium would have been better suited for me. Wish they were more clear on saddle/waiste sizes.

Big John

been reading these posts with great interest.
One point:
I like to be able to take on and off my flipLine.
Seems like I'll come down outa a tree and want to drag brush or something and the flip line just comes off so I dont have to take off the saddle
Frans

Originally posted by Frans

I like to be able to take on and off my flipLine
Frans

When not in use, I keep my lanyard(flipline?) tied in a double-knot hanging from my saddle. It stays out of the way most of the time.

If I feel the need to completely remove it I just slide it out of my Gibbs. Rarely done, maybe for mini-roping.

I do not like a steel-core lanyard. :cool:

I've had the good fortune to have the confidence of some manufacturers and dealors. I do get some of my gear. There is no expectation that I advertise or promote. Just use and critique. If I find that I like something, I rave about it don't I?

If I get something for free does that make my opinion suspect? If you think so, you don't know me.

The only things that I was given in that picture are the Positioners. Everything else came out of my pocket, at retail, just like the rest of you.

So, you're thirty and climbing as good as twenty. Well, pup, :)...go back a decade to manila rope. I remember the day when ArborPlex was high tech! Your generation is the first that can expect to be climbing, and healthy, for their whole career. Having modern climbing gear and techniques available means that there is less wear and tear on a climber's body. That means a longer, more productive, career. Ask a modern coal miner if they want to go back to mining the way their Dads and Grandpaps did. Would anyone think that a sports team would be competitive if they used the same gear, strategies and training they did ten, or even five, years ago? How is your profession any differnt than playing games and sport?

Tom

Back