The best Mini?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Koa Man

Koa Man

Kahuna giganticus
I love my Gehl AL20DX. The 40" width prevents me from going through a 36 inch gate, but I still have found numerous occasions to use it. It lifts 700 lbs. higher than most any miniskid, travel speed is twice as fast at 6.8 mph vs around 3mph for most minis. The real plus is it does not tear up even the finest lawns.

The plywood you see on the lawn is for the spider lift, not the Gehl.

treeclimber101

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK
I love my Gehl AL20DX. The 40" width prevents me from going through a 36 inch gate, but I still have found numerous occasions to use it. It lifts 700 lbs. higher than most any miniskid, travel speed is twice as fast at 6.8 mph vs around 3mph for most minis. The real plus is it does not tear up even the finest lawns.

The plywood you see on the lawn is for the spider lift, not the Gehl.

Ah why is there a tire in the tree in the 2nd pic?

sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
I have gots to gets me wun of dees!:clap: Those videos were what I needed to see. How much does the whole unit weigh? mini and clamp together that is.
Thanks for posting the link
:cheers:

Dutch295

Dutch295

ArboristSite Member
sgreanbeans,
You are very welcome, mine weighs 2025 with nothing attached and another 200 for the grapple. I think some units weigh as little as 1700 lbs but not sure.

I went back and looked at the specs on the Zahn as this thread got me thinking.... the lift capacity by the time you add some type of grapple seems a little weak for tree work.

There's a powerhouse (powerhouse / boxer reminds me of Ford / Mercury) on machinery trader right now that looks like it "might" be a good deal considering all the attachments ... Probably a long ride for you and you probably don't need all the attachments.... I'd probably offer to buy the breaker from you... it's comical how many people have approached me on a job and point to my boxer and say, "can't those things break concrete?"

treevet

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
We have had a 525 TX (narrow) for a couple of years and just sold a Bobcat mt50. The Dingo is a far superior machine to the Bobcat and their rep even agreed. That is why they still sell both. The Dingo has 5 pumps. It will get through a 36" gate easily. It is also much easier on the lawn and more refined.

I bought the Dingo grapple (non bucket grapple that I do not like) and we had a BMG grapple on the bobcat which I kept and am going to convert to the Dingo. I feel the BMG is best for brush as you can go right to stems and grab a bunch and go but with the Dingo grapple it grabs logs easier as you can push them around to get a good grab and also because it does not swivel like the BMG.

Any Mini is going to match up real well with a dump trailer....

attachment.php

prentice110

prentice110

SpongeBob Fap Pants
Pumps

Got a Bobcat mt52 new december 08. If it wasnt for this machine I wouldve been bankrupt by now. I make a third of my income subing out work for guys that dont have one. Anyway, some of these things have 2 rooster master pumps for the drive and one for the accesories, (boom operation and attachments). Some only have one big pump for every thing. I strongly recomend getting one with three pumps like my Bobcat. My buddy has a boxer with one pump and when you lift, lower, or curl the boom while moving forward or backward, the drive hesitates and you get "gigled" if thats the right term for it. I love my Bobcat but like VINES said, the universal plate would be nice. I would demo all that you can with a trencher if you plan on using one because some of these dont have a high enough gpm to run that kind of attachment, and the dealer may neglect to inform you of this. There are a few 'mini' theads goin on over in the equipment forum. Check em out for more info, and links/pics/vids.

treevet

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
How much do they want 25K I am starting to believe that there parts people are all retoided ,they mess up every third order of mine and give me other peoples orders ... And to boot they are ignorant to me when they are wrong..

I searched Vermeer 800 TX and come up with nada. When I bought my Dingo over a year ago I asked Vermeer for a demo prior to the Dingo. They said they would get me one within a week.

Well they call me 3 months after I bought my Dingo and said they had my demo ready to bring over.....duhhhh

treeclimber101

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK
I searched Vermeer 800 TX and come up with nada. When I bought my Dingo over a year ago I asked Vermeer for a demo prior to the Dingo. They said they would get me one within a week.

Well they call me 3 months after I bought my Dingo and said they had my demo ready to bring over.....duhhhh

Yea I dunno I think my next chipper will be an ALTEC and after that stump cutters maybe Morbark , Vermeer service is herendous and there parts people should go work for Walmart there along the same lines of intelligence..

tntree

tntree

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks for the grapple compliments, I am currently working on a couple more features for the grapple. A receiver hitch, a saw scabbard, and a plywood carrier The latter giving me the most trouble. Once I am satisfied with there practicability(?) I hope to include them at no extra cost. Any Ideas on the BMgrapple moving plwood would be greatly appreciated.

Oops Derail sorry, minis . . . my experience, Diesels will cost up to 3K more than Gas. I have gotten 1500 hrs on Kohler Gas, I figure I could replace the Gas engine for less bucks than the Diesel.
I preferred the stand on machines as with my grapple you are often traveling in Reverse, I have heard of a couple of Injures involving the walk behinds and backing up curbs.
The controls on the Toro and Vermeer are more user friendly to the first time operator, but It doesn't take very long to learn the other style controls out there, so I wouldn't let that dissuade any purchase decision.
Personally any thing 0ver 15K is getting pretty pricey for maybe arguably 10 to 20% more performance.

If I was going to spend >20K on a stand on a machine, I would think twice about upping my budget to around 25K and opt for the new Gehl 140 articulating - Debate-ably 3 times the machine of ANY of the minis on the Market.
http://www.gehl.com/const/prodpg_al.html

capetrees
Yea I dunno I think my next chipper will be an ALTEC and after that stump cutters maybe Morbark , Vermeer service is herendous and there parts people should go work for Walmart there along the same lines of intelligence..

My Vermeer guy is just the opposite. Great to work with, fast service and always one trip fixes. I did get an order mixed up though.

As far as the info on the 800 tx, http://www.vermeer.com/vcom/CompactEquipment/Model.jsp?PrdlnID=47717&ModID=136564

treevet

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have said it before but I am extremely happy with my 12 year history with Vermeer service. Had some major billing snafus but we ironed them out to my satisfaction. Absolutely love the equipment.

tntree

tntree

ArboristSite Lurker
looks much bigger and heavier than a mini Dave?

More like a middi then I guess, dollar for dollar pound for pound, more than 3 times any Mini. Absolutely No turning Turf Damage
It will not ride on the back of your chipper thats for sure.
20 HP Yanmar Diesel, operating weight I think 3500#s. Damm some of the minis are weighing in at over 2300 #s

Service is important so its tough to beat the big yellows network. Gehl has an excellant dealer network also.
If you can do a little wrenching your self, most of the minis are pretty Butt simple, usually the better advice is to do treework though and pay a prof mechanic to repair your minis.

Last edited:
sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
What about the BOBCAT mini's, I have always had their skidloaders, great machines, IMO, dealer here is decent enough. But none have experience in tree work, any of you have a Bobcat?

Latest posts