The Best Underground Pex pipe for OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry and Wanda

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
I burn a Napoleon woodstove and don't have an OWB, but my friend is thinking about getting one. I was telling him about what I read on this website and told him that I remember everyone saying to buy the best underground Pex pipe available. However, I can't remember the brand, the cost per foot and the best place everyone said to buy it !!!!! Please give me your ideas on which brand is the best, the cost and where to buy it !!!! Thanks.

Henry and Wanda

Put the good stuff in now and you won't have to do it later. I know by experience.

You think that's expensive, I ponied up for Logstor and drove 3.5 hours one way to get it. Even more expensive than Thermopex but general consensus was it's a superior product. Do it once, do it right. I used up .2 therms of natural gas last night heating a leaky 2600 square foot farmhouse and 4 car pole barn in 20-30mph wind. It's working great for me.

one goes through a lot of effort and expense to install an OWB; do NOT skimp on the underground lines. If you have a very long run, live in a cold climate, have a high water table, significant frost action, etc., those lines will be the lifeblood of the entire system, period. It's like building your dream home and skimping on the foundation and everything below grade......you might have a 1/2 million dollar house, but you ain't got jack if it's held up by a POS foundation. Water can be your best friend or your worst enemy, and in this case it could be the latter if your friends go cheap. I drove a total of 3 hours to get Thermopex and darn glad I did; I have a 135' run from boiler to house and this winter was a good test for it, periodically been measuring the temperature at the boiler output vs the temperature coming in the basement: less than one degree F, and that's with all this Dec/Jan/Feb below zero crap and deeper than average frost depths verified by the municipalities in the area requiring those on city water supplies to leave a faucet running to prevent water lines from freezing. Yes, the good stuff is not cheap, but don't get too bound up over the cost per foot......that will mean nothing if ya hafta do it over. Tell your friends this: "the money you think you saved would have allowed you to buy quality in the first place".

Latest posts

Back