The best way to use firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking forward to last year

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

What a neat grill, and that food looks yummy !!!

Having the ability to rise and lower the grill has to be a plus. It appears to be an open style, does not close?

Thanks for sharing.

Just an open fire

pit with a floating grill

Good stuff cooked with some apple wood we got last year. did not get any fruit wood this year :( the good thing we still have plum :rock:

Ooooohhhhhh, yeah! Looks good!

Y'know, I just last Sunday found out how good a steak is when cooked over oak. I long ago gave up using propane barbecues in favor of briquettes, because the flavor is so much better.

But I had no idea that using real oak would make it so much better, til I had some that way at a friends house.

I think I've found a new use for all my oddball chunks!

The grill was custom made

for my father when he retired by AED stamped on the front (Airline Equipment Division); he used it for 20 or so years, when he passed on the grill was passed to me.

The bottom rusted out so I did some cutting and grinding to put a stainless steel bottom and ash catcher on the grill bottom, this year I will be lining it with fire bricks to protect it from the fire.

Gas is for the oven, charcoal (what is charcoal)?

I prefer apple wood or any fruit wood BUT bark-less ash works well to, I use all seasoned wood.

Man those look awesome! So does that cooker. I guess i can add building one of those to my winter to do list! Anyway, i am not sure if any of you know this i didnt till a couple of years ago when an old butcher told me. IF you want a great tasting steak at 1/2 the price of a t-bone buy chuck eye. They are hard to find since most meet cutters sell them to the restuarants ( at least around here) but boy are they good and cheap.

Anybody else hungry!?

I think lunch will be early today.

BTW, NHhugger, the plate o' steaks looks like it was photoshopped in on the last pic. Was the lighting weird thad day? The steaks look to be in full sun and the grill beneath an overcast sky. Were the steaks so heavenly that they emitted their own illumination? They look so tasty, I'd reckon that to be a plausible explaination.

I think lunch will be early today.

BTW, NHhugger, the plate o' steaks looks like it was photoshopped in on the last pic. Was the lighting weird thad day? The steaks look to be in full sun and the grill beneath an overcast sky. Were the steaks so heavenly that they emitted their own illumination? They look so tasty, I'd reckon that to be a plausible explaination.

No faking there, that was Christmas Day last year. Could have been the north star? or maybe the flash.

I love that grill it comes out 2 maybe 3 times a year every Labor day hot dogs and hamburger, Christmas day steaks only.

The rest of the year its the 21" Weber (wood only)

Some times the ol pit comes out just because a good grill cures depression

attachment.php

Firewood Rules

Last edited:
ND, I'm a big fan of my weber but must admit I've never cooked over wood. I'm tired of paying for charcoal and would like to give wood a try. Can you get me started with some pointers? Thanks a bunch!

hmmm

All I do is start a fire on the coal grill 2", 3" wood diameter use short pieces 5 to 8" you may need kindling to get it going let it burn with no cooking grill in the Weber if you leave the grill in the Weber it will warp and become useless.

after the wood gets going real good and you have a bed of coals put your grill in then your food , let it char if you like it charred (we do).

The bottom vent should be left open and the top vent open as well.

after you get the amount of char you like, put the top on the Weber let it smoke,,,

when the smoke starts to become less and less pull the top off let the fire get going again put the top back on let it smoke, repeat as needed until done, flip as needed from side to side steak we flip 1 time hambergers depends on size same with chicken.

With chicken you will need to close top vent as needed

The size

attachment.php

The webber

attachment.php

The wood pile for food
attachment.php

Last edited:
Back