The big saws of the Pacific North West

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GASoline71

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
The Homelite 770G I was talkin' about... :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Saw is currently being converted from 1/2" chain to .404" chain. With a drive sprocket adapter from BillG... :)

Gary

GASoline71

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Cool info Jacob... :)

The saw was actually ran over by one of the railroad cars... so it has a blue sparkplug cover off of a Zip on it... and that handle was bent, but repaired. There is also a home made Dog on it too...

The bar that is on it was a 5 footer that was bent so bad when the train ran over it... one of the guys in the shop (Les Brown) took it and cut it, shortened it, and rewelded it with stainless steel... there is a stainless steel stripe runnin' through the bar. I'll dig up another pic. The bar is about 28" now...

Gary

CM76

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Another great old Homelite saw Gary - even more special as it has a known history. I can see that it has indeed dome some hard work in its heyday of logging. I see that it has an additional brace fitted for the wrap handlebar - extending forward to attach on the gearcase as well.

A really strong old unit - keep em coming!

Regards,

Chris.

Jacob J.
That was a common bar repair back in the day. There was no "Bailey's online" where a guy could go and get a new cheap bar.

An old boy recently made me a new sprocket-nose bar for one of my 5-30Ns, he took the 5-30 stock bar tail and grafted it onto a sprocket-nose large-mount Stihl bar that has a .404 tip.

slowp
Mc Culloch was big here in the sixties and seventies, and I've met a lot of old people than ran them in those days. Their comments are always pretty much the same : temperamental, a SOB to start, and always "something" that caused need for repair ...:chainsaw:

You can fairly say that they were not liked very much......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Perhaps it wasn't me? I ran one on a thinning crew in 1980. The crew had always been an All Guy crew. I came on late so the newer plastic saws were claimed by the guys. I got the old all metal ones. I went through 2 saws till I found one that would start and run as long as the chain was loose. It would throw the chain once or twice during the day.

One of the previous saws would not start after refueling. We had been packing in a ways, I totally lost my temper, had a fit, and kicked the saw off a little cliff. Don't kick a saw when you aren't wearing steel toes. Owie.

I had not been much of a cusser until that year. I have no fondness for yellow saws.

ROOTSXROCKS

ROOTSXROCKS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Perhaps it wasn't me? I ran one on a thinning crew in 1980. The crew had always been an All Guy crew. I came on late so the newer plastic saws were claimed by the guys. I got the old all metal ones. I went through 2 saws till I found one that would start and run as long as the chain was loose. It would throw the chain once or twice during the day.

One of the previous saws would not start after refueling. We had been packing in a ways, I totally lost my temper, had a fit, and kicked the saw off a little cliff. Don't kick a saw when you aren't wearing steel toes. Owie.

I had not been much of a cusser until that year. I have no fondness for yellow saws.

Im with ya send them hunks of metal to the scrap yard

Latest posts